Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
M
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Well said JZB. Thanks.

Agreed.

I know they sometimes capture murderers red-handed. But, they're finally going after drug dealers and speeding vehicles on Ambergris Caye too? That's great news. I'll keep an eye on the papers for news of successful prosecutions.

On a serious note, the main (and my) concern has been about the way this was handled. There is no way the Halliday family should have been subjected to forced entry and bruising physical treatment over this matter.

Joanne, right or wrong, I ALWAYS think about what I post.

R
R
It maybe also said that if the Hallidays had assisted rather than resisted the Police and the Forestry department going about their lawful duties, that perhaps the Halliday family wouldn't have got bruised and physically manhandled. Don't forget that it was the Halliday son that first assaulted a Police office causing all the ruckus.

" Don't forget that it was the Halliday son that first assaulted a Police office causing all the ruckus." I was looking for any suggestion that there was assault on the police and couldn't find any. Resistance to forced entry into a private home, yes, but assault, no.

When it comes to real wildlife conservation, Belize is completely faux. You can't have a long time imported (NOT stolen from Belize forests) parrot as a pet but you (well, government) CAN sell acres and acres and acres of mangrove and wildlife (and crocodile) habitat to speculators. Grand Belize Estates or Sugar Caye anyone? I wonder where Rigrat was on those?

Excuse me while I barf at the outrageous hypocrisy of some on this board.

R
R
Chris

There was definitely obstruction and assault. The manager of Belize Bird Rescue was there and witnessed it. Extra Police had to be called because of this.

R
R
It is disingenuous to suggest that because the Belize government may have been part of some dodgy land deals and so they should not actively go about removing birds from disgusting conditions from people who are flouting and breaking the law.

I am not part of any government in Belize and nor is Belize Bird Rescue. Belize Bird Rescue is a privately funded Avian rehabilitation Centre and we have nothing whatsoever to do with enforcing any laws.
We started purely as a medical and information resource for Belize, and have become the place where confiscated birds are taken by the government so their health and living conditions can be improved, and many birds rehabilitated and released back to the wild.
You probably don't care, but before we were here, wildlife confiscations of birds ended with the birds being euthanised. The last thing that Belize Bird Rescue needs is to be asked to care for non-indigenous birds that can never be released.
Belize Bird Rescue does not own a single bird. Not one. All birds brought to us by the public or by the government are banded with a government of Belize leg band and remain the property of the government of Belize. We also do not make government policy, nor do we instigate raids, or confiscations. We do however fund anti-poaching patrols and camps in the Chiqibul to prevent the extirpation of the last remaining Scarlet Macaws.

I am going to stick my head above the parapet and say right now that since Victoria Cawich (Chi) was appointed wildlife office for Belize, she has worked tirelessly for the betterment of all wildlife in Belize. There has been a step change in the way the whole department operates.
It started with the appointment of Lisel Almilla as minister and she made sweeping changes that has energised the Forestry department. We now have Victoria in charge of wildlife, who gets up every day and actually does something when she goes to work. Not just something, a lot of things that are improving wildlife conservation for all Belizeans and future generations. I will speak up for her gladly, loudly and constantly.
I have refrained from posting pictures and film about this ugly event out of respect and privacy for private citizens. However should negative publicity about this sad episode continue I feel that I will have to counter this by publishing photos of the appalling condition that these birds were in, as well as the disgusting conditions in which they were kept.

Last edited by Rigrat; 08/04/14 02:39 AM.
T
T
Not sure I understand why there is a disagreement here. The Forestry department seems to be doing their job and enforcing the laws of Belize. Chris your references to other arms of the government and their lack luster performances are the very reasons you should be applauding Forestry.

You have passion and fire from family members who have had the Macaw for many years and on the other side the same passion for preserving and ensuring that the laws are observed. What is wrong with that? Do you really expect every government department in Belize to perform poorly because you don't like what the Lands department or police department has been doing?

I was not at the incident but I do feel very badly for all those involved. They were put in a very difficult situation and made decisions based on what they saw. They did not cave in when the Area Rep came or when the Mayor came they stood up for what they believed was right both in their eyes and in the eyes of the law.

I agree.

R
R
Well the disinformation campaign is continuing and there is now pressure at ministerial level to return the birds to the hellhole they were found in. Not from Eddie but his son. It is disappointing that Belizean law cannot be enforced if the lawbreakers have connections and this seems to be a blatant example. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
There was no food or water in these cages. From the food residue it seems these birds were only fed sunflower seeds.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Pressure sores from too tight leg band
[Linked Image]
I have posted some pictures, there are many more. If people still think that these were well cared for birds, then please let me know and I will send some pictures of birds that are well cared for. Yes, that is bird poop on their feet. The cages were covered in it. Look at the pressure sore under where the band was placed and left to curtail circulation as the bird outgrew the band. Look at the position and condition of the cages. Then tell me that Forestry was wrong to remove these birds.

Last edited by Rigrat; 08/04/14 11:07 AM.
Rigrat, you're my hero for posting these photos. I'm sure you were going to do it anyway, nothing posted here since you made your vile threat should have set you off on this course. But, now that I see the photos I think there should have been even more police and violence.

In case you're not familiar with dripping sarcasm, this matter was handled at a level of stress and angst and physicality out of all proportion to the problem.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.