Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 49 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 48 49
Marty #494965 08/25/14 04:53 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of August 17th - August 23rd 2014

Weather Conditions: Mostly sunny. Occasional and very needed rain showers.

Winds: Moderate 5-10 mph Easterly winds most of the week

Air Temperature: Mid 80's to 90, for the High. High 70's, for the lows.

Water Temperature: Temps 81-83 degrees

Moonphase: Last Quarter moon was on August 17th.

WHAT GUESTS WERE CATCHING:

BONEFISH (Macabi): We had some great bonefish stories this week! Les landed a bone close to 4 lbs with Captain Luis! This is a big bonefish for us. His fishing partner, John, was a happy guy with all the bonefish he landed as well. Deb and Louann were here for their first saltwater flats experience with Captain Tomas. They had a blast. These gals from Colorado are now seasoned flats fly fishers! They landed several bones on fly. Barry and Tony had their sons Alex and Ben here fishing with them. Alex and Ben landed their first bonefish on the fly! Barry and Tony landed bonefish as well, but spent their time looking for other species. Chris and Andrew landed their first bonefish on the fly with Captain Alex. And right now as I write�it's flat calm and we have a sea of tailing and finning bonefish reflecting light right in front of the lodge.

PERMIT (Palometta): So Stan walks into the shop upon arrival and says, "I'm scared!" He said he was worried about guides yelling at him because he had little experience fishing the flats. Well, Captain Emir did yell when he landed his 30lb permit on live crab. Wow! You can really tell a big permit because they get so long they start to look like a tarpon. Stan, we are proud of you! And then his fishing buddy, Tom, landed a nice 16 pounder on fly that went toward his slam. He landed another permit with Captain Emir and they thought they were going to slam the second day, but that would have been greedy. So, two permit on fly for Tom. Adam was winding down from the Tarpon Tagging Expedition with Captain Kechu. They found a giant group of permit - threw 16 flies - were ready to call it quits, when Adam said, "NO!" "We are going to use this big ol ugly deer hair thing and they are going to eat it." And a twenty five pounder inhaled the fly. Nice. Tom was fishing with Captain Cesar and he landed a beautiful permit on fly. Woody came to the dock with a zipped-lock grin on his face after fishing with Captain Emir and Gordy. After a little prodding, I learned they saw close to a thousand permit that day. They tried everything but couldn't connect. Well naturally I got myself invited on their boat the next day to see for myself. We did find some big schools - but they were moving fast, and not that group love thing that we were hoping to find. Every day is different, that is why we go - to see what's going to happen. No guarantees in this game. Congratulations to our permit winners this week.

TARPON (Sabalo): For our anglers who love tarpon�it's like you read about. Andrew returned to fish with Captain Tomas. They jumped seven in three days. Sean shows up with his beautiful wife Laura. Laura doesn't fish but this is a time where they left their 2 y/o and 4 y/o at home to enjoy some down time and hopefully, get Sean a tarpon. Well, day one they head out with Captain Cinoeh and made it happen. And then day two, they made it happen again! Sean and Laura have smiles that are stuck on their face. Tony was out with Captain Erlindo and he landed a nice 30 pounder on fly.

Shaun was here with his father, Michael. They were so excited that on the last day, Shaun landed a nice 20 lb tarpon on fly with Captain Alex. Shaun was working on his casting daily, and felt really happy with his refined skills as he was able to pepper the mangroves with his fly and find that connection with Mr. Tarpon. Troy was here with his dad Dilbert. They were happy with bonefish on the fly, but thrilled when Troy landed his tarpon on fly with Captain Raton. Tim loves fishing with Captain Cesar. They had shots, jumps and good times knowing that when it's yours, it's yours. Next time Tim. And Tom, yes, of course! Tom landed a nice 60lb tarpon on fly with Captain Emir that was included in his slam. Captain Cesar showed Tom and his son Thomas the tarpon fishing they were hoping to find as a return anglers to El Pescador. Tom landed a beautiful 60 lb tarpon on fly, and they had several eats. Thomas's energy is so positive and explosive that I think the fish showed up just to meet his joy. Actually this was Thomas's first time here - his brother had been on previous trips but kept the secrets of fishing with Captain Cesar quiet until his brother was able to make the trip. A big "shout out" and thank you to Woody. Like I said, I got myself invited to fish with him and Emir to check out the action. Wow. We had 80 pound plus tarpon coming to us that looked like black submarines over the white limestone bottom. Nothing like seeing a tarpon approaching from - what seems like forever - as you wait for the perfect shot. We threw on a black death after a couple of refusals. Woody gave me the next shot. As the two giants approached, I tried a sexy dance with my fly hoping they would notice. "Strip, bump, bump, strip, bump, bump (breathe) SET! The fish exploded out of the water and grabbed the line so fast I didn't see the knot in my line until it flew threw the guides. The reel emptied line - the fish jumped, emptied more line and on the second jump as I noticed my arbor looking rather exposed - sliced the 80lb shock clean. It was a take that will stay in my mind and heart for a long time. That is what tarpon fishing with a fly does - it leaves you dreaming about the next shot.

Grand Slam: Congratulations to Tom Gorrell who will be honored on our Slam Wall of Fame! Tom slammed with Captain Emir and Gordy. And they almost did it again the second day! This was a big fish slam - which feels even better, I'm sure. See photos and smiles. Yay Tom!

OTHER SPECIES: Kechu and Adam had ridiculous fishing for jacks on fly. I'm pretty sure I saw about 10 nice jacks in Kechu's live well. Captain Alex has been on some 20 lb snook. Shawn and Michael had some great shots, but the fish won.

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONEFISH - Christmas Island specials, Spawning Gotcha, Crazy Charlie

FOR PERMIT - Spawning shrimp, Merkin

FOR TARPON - Chartreuse bunny, Black Death, Tan bunny

Guide of the week: Captain Emir for getting Tom Gorrell the slam of his dreams. And the bonus was getting Tom's buddy Stan to land a 30lb permit - a fish of a lifetime.

This Week's Summary:

It's summer time in the tropics everybody! And the fish are here and happy. We have migratory tarpon moving all around the banks - we have permit showing up so big they look like tarpon. We have flat calm conditions where you can see a tailing bonefish from a long way away. People ask us: "When is the best time to be here?" Well, we can plan and hope - but for the angler's this week, they got to experience one of these "best times." Thank you to all of angers this week for your positive approach to each day. Sure, there were defeats, but each day you returned to check in and see - as they say here in Belize, "What's happening?"

Cast to your dreams!
Lori-Ann Murphy [email protected].

Marty #495266 09/02/14 05:25 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Week of August 23 - 30th 2014

Weather Conditions: Mostly sunny skies with the occasional thunderstorm turned into a much-needed rainy Sunday!

Winds: Moderate 5-10 mph Easterly winds most of the week then moved ESE 10 - 20 as the tropical wave moved through.

Moonphase: New moon on the 25th.

BONEFISH (Macabi): The entire Caribbean coast is lined with sargrasso! And, we have had some bonefish die because the shallow water mixed with sargassum has reduced the oxygen content in their normal feeding waters. Site fishing for bones was not a "gimmie" this week. Clouds made for poor visibility and the fish were not as happy with all the changing conditions. Below is some information on Sargrasso/Sarrgassum.

A major topic around here - there is fishing and there is catching! Well, Keelan was able to land her first bonefish on fly! Her husband Will was thrilled - this was his vision, get Keelan hooked on fly fishing! When you start in the salt, you are way ahead of the game Keelan! Josh and Gary were here fishing with Captain Cinoeh. They really wanted tarpon, but had a great time with some quality bonefishing on fly. Our "Doc's" group all landed bonefish! Congratulations to Scott, Jason, Billy, Ding, Michael, Van, Craig, Drew, Chris Adam and Max, for landing bonefish.

Sargassum is a genus of brown (class Phaeophyceae) macroalgae (seaweed) in the order Fucales. Numerous species are distributed throughout the temperate and tropical oceans of the world, where they generally inhabit shallow water and coral reefs. However, the genus may be best known for its planktonic (free-floating) species. While most species within the class Phaeophyceae are predominantly cold water organisms that benefit from nutrients upwelling, genus Sargassum appears to be an exception to this general rule.[1] Any number of the normally benthic species may take on a planktonic, often pelagic existence after being removed from reefs during rough weather. The Atlantic Ocean's Sargasso Sea was named after the algae, as it hosts a large amount of Sargassum.[2

PERMIT (Palometta): Give it up for Jason and Michael - they both landed beautiful big permit on spin - and, both of these permit went toward their slam! Both with Captain Emir and Gordy. There were shots, but as the weather changed later in the week, the fish were harder to find.

TARPON (Sabalo): OK, so Jason and Michael both landed beautiful tarpon on spin with Captain Emir and Gordy. And yes, they both slammed. Alex ripped it up with Captain Cesar in the beginning of the week. He landed three or was it four? Tarpon on fly - and jumped a bunch of others. I lost track because he had huge action everyday with Captain Cesar. His sweetie Andrea was a first rate coach - and also perfected her double haul. So next time these two go fishing, I'm thinking Andrea is going to get a tarpon too! Chris landed a nice tarpon on spin with Captain Vince. Scott landed a nice tarpon with Captain Tomas. Van also landed a nice tarpon with Captain Hilberto. And the two happiest guys were father and son Heinz and John. Heinz was literally beaming. He had four on and landed two. His son John had four on and landed one. Captain Luis was really happy for them as well. Each day the three of them came back laughing. Jim jumped 3 on lures between Captain Alex and Captain Luis. Rob also had some grabs - but the fish didn't stick. Next time!

Grand Slam: Dr. Jason with Captain Emir and Gordy. Next day, Dr. Michael with Captain Emir and Gordy. Nice work guys!

OTHER SPECIES: Jacks, Cudas, Needlefish

FLIES THAT WORKED

Guide of the week: Captain Emir and Gordy for getting Jason and Michael their slams this week!

This Week's Summary:

We have had nothing short of a stellar month of tarpon fishing here at El Pescador. We are thrilled for our anglers who have landed fish of their dreams. And for the newly initiated, now you know! It's a hunting game - a state of mind - a time to put it all together. It's a time to establish a team with your guide - so you are talking the same language, reaching your goals together. I have seen the guides grow throughout the years and they have learned skills to help with all the steps that go from "seeing the fish," to "landing the fish." There are a lot of steps - and they all count. Remember to practice your cast, even if it is 5 minutes. When you are staring at a giant tarpon approaching you, when you are waiting for the timing of your shot, when that thin black line from a distance turns into a creature that has been around for 100 million years, you want to be ready. From your family at El Pescador we thank you for sharing your time and dreams with us!

Cast to your dreams!

Fishing photo of the week:

El Pescador guest Doc and his big Permit

Marty #495567 09/10/14 06:33 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

August 30th - September 6th, 2014

Weather Conditions: Mostly sunny skies with the occasional thunderstorm turned into major thunderstorms on Saturday.

Winds: Moderate 5-10 mph Easterly winds most of the week then moved ESE 10 - 20 as the tropical wave moved through.

Moonphase: First Quarter September 2nd.

BONEFISH (Macabi): Ricky and Barbara were here celebrating their anniversary. They both landed bonefish on fly - congratulations! And a special prize from "the dock witch" to you Randy for that huge bone you landed on your own in front of the lodge! Extra points. Derick and Katie also had some spectacular bonefishing with Captain Luis. Katie landed 3 bones on fly - her first time fishing the salt. Captain Luis and Derick told me today that after the storm went through, it became flat calm and tailing bones were everywhere! It was such a pleasure to meet Scott and Jill from Salt Lake City - and also a special place for me, Teton Valley, Idaho. Scott is a guide in Idaho, and shared many fun stories of friends from our fishing world. They both had big fun bonefishing on fly. Marty and Jennifer landed bonefish on fly with Captain Jr. They also worked on their casting and left stronger anglers. Congratulations you two on your bonefish on fly. Chris showed up for a couple of days away from home in Dallas. The children were scheduled for time away, so he said, "why not?' Chris had some really nice bonefishing on fly. He also left relaxed and ready his next adventure back home. Kelly showed up and said, "I'm not a fly fishermen." Well, he went out and landed 3 nice bones the next day on fly! He now has it wired.

Sometimes, when the big fish are around, it takes away from bonefishing. It's true, we have bonefish, permit and tarpon here on Ambergris Caye all year. And this time of year, we have a lot of big tarpon around. However, bonefishing on the fly requires the same skills - paying attention to the water and the fish, a good cast and a strong set. The "Ghost of the Flats," is an amazing fish. And as I have said before, I believe them to be the "heart and soul" of fly fishing the saltwater flats of the world.

PERMIT (Palometta): Will was here two years ago with his beautiful wife. This time she couldn't make it so he showed up with his long time buddy, Carl. Carl is a guide in Key Biscayne. They had a big fun time with Captain Hilberto. Will landed a beautiful permit on fly, and Carl landed two on fly, and one on spin. So, three permit on fly. I had to ask, "What fly?" Well, I was shown Carl's invention - "Whatever." The fly kinda has it all going on. A sparsly tied tan crab pattern. Long and lean. This is the fly that landed 3 permit. Wow, congratulations you two! Monroe is here with an arsenal or rods and reels for one person. I think he showed up with 11 outfits. His mission is permit - we'll see what he and Captain Cinoeh come up with.

TARPON (Sabalo): And when the skies cleared�there they were! Will landed his tarpon on fly with Captain Hilberto on the first day! Nice going Will. (see photo) Captain Erlindo reported jumping 7 and landing two with his anglers, Ken landed an 80 pounder today on fly with Captain Cesar, David landed a nice 20 pounder with Captain Emir on fly. We have had a lot of follows, cranial's ( thrown to the fish's head), standing on the line, and the most common - the "short" shot. But hey, when you get it right, you get to feel one of the greatest grab's in fly fishing. Hold on, tighten the drag and give it the "down and dirty." Cesar just yells, "D&D!"

Grand Slam: Soooooooooooo close Will and Carl! Next time.

OTHER SPECIES: Jacks, Cudas, Needlefish

FLIES THAT WORKED

Guide of the week: Captain Hilberto for getting Will and Carl into 4 permit, 3 on fly, and one tarpon on fly. Yay!

This Week's Summary:

It's "slow season" around San Pedro. Restaurants and hotels usually take about a month off to rest and prepare for another year. Here at El Pescador we don't have as many guests around as usual, but the ones that are here are fish crazed. And the fish don't know its slow season, they only know about the wind and the tides. So anglers are out there some days without another boat in sight. It's a time for these anglers to hone their fly fishing skills and find solace in their hearts. We were so pleased that Randy and Barbara decided to spend their anniversary with us. And we are delighted that newbies like Katie and Jennifer reached beyond their comfort level and found a ton of fun. As I write it's quiet around the lodge. We had some rain and weather this morning - and yes, all 8 boats went out. But now, our angler's have attacked the chicken wings and Beliken beer and there is a sleepy feeling as the sea is very quiet - and that precious warm salty air lays a blanket of peace over us. Thanks for a fun week everyone!

Cast to your dreams!

El Pescador guest Will with his tarpon on fly

El Pescador guests Carl and Will with double bonefish on fly.

Marty #495726 09/15/14 12:57 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

September 6th - 13th, 2014

Weather Conditions: Cloudy with sunny breaks - which is a polite way of saying we had some stormy weather this week and prayed for sun. Seas were choppy and visibility was challenging - but good things still happened!

Moonphase: Full moon was the 8th. (Which we call our "permit" moon).

BONEFISH (Macabi): Randy and Sandra were here and had amazing things happen. Randy landed some nice bonefish with Captain Tomas on fly. He practiced his saltwater casting and was rewarded with bonefish and much more. His wife Sandra was here to do nothing - something that takes a plan for most hard working people. During their stay, they found out they have a new grandchild on the way, and their house sold at their asking price! All this while bonefishing here at El Pescador. Congratulations you two! Jeff and his wife Danielle were also here with different agendas. They both enjoyed the saltwater flats of Ambergris Caye. Jeff is a maniac fly fisher, and Danielle loved her diving with our "Under da Sea! Captain Alonzo" Jeff landed some beautiful bonefish on fly with Captain Cinoeh. Both left here with beaming smiles! Geoff was here with his wife Cindy. Cindy said right off the bat, "I'm not going to fly fish, but I'm going out to check it out on spin." Well, I can't wait to show you her picture when she sends it to us. Her face is beaming as she held her first bonefish on spin! And Geoff was thrilled with all the instruction and guidance from Captain Cesar. They were trying to call him a saint, but I think that's pushing it. Nothing makes a guide feel better than when their anglers meet their goals. Derrick had some beautiful bonefishing with Captain Luis as they were hunting permit. Monroe was here with a quiver of rods and reels - I think he brought 9 outfits. Well, he is not addicted. Bonefish on fly and other opportunities will get Monroe back here as soon as he can get more time off from work. Chris, David, Jim and Kelly all landed bonefish on fly! First time for many fishing the saltwater flats of Belize. Congratulations for mastering a connection with "the Ghost of the Flats!"

PERMIT (Palometta): Well, Captain Carl from Florida landed three beautiful permit on his fly with Captain Hilberto, aka, Star. His fly, which is starring at me from my desk, is called the "Whatever" fly. It's a crab pattern tied like a toad - narrow body, craft fur tail barred, lead eyes and chartreuse thread. Oh, and an orange butt and some crystal flash thrown in as well. How nice that the permit desired something besides a Christmas Island Special! Jimmy and Phelps are cousins and fishing buddies. They both went out with Captain Emir and Gordy and both slammed! Yes, they both landed permit that took them to their slam. Wow. So the permit score this week: 5 landed on fly, one on spin. And for you permit lovers out there - stories were told where they had multiple shots to the same school before they ate! And then they ate. We love the full moon for permit fishing. Because they eat! Congratulations to our permit winners this week.

TARPON (Sabalo): OK, so Will landed his tarpon the first day with Captain Hilberto. Awesome. And Ken landed an 80 pounder on fly with Captain Cesar! He kept asking questions about how many 80 plus fish are actually landed. The truth is, not many. There are lots of attempts, as Jeff, Randy, Jim, Kelly and Randy will tell you. Matt was so excited to land his tarpon on fly with Captain Kechu. Wes landed a beautiful tarpon on spin with Captain Cesar. Yep, they all received their tarpon pins before leaving. Wear them proudly!

Grand Slam: Get READY! Jimmy and Phelps both slammed with Captain Emir and Gordy on the same day! Double SLAM. Then Jeff and Mike showed up to fish with Captain Emir and Jeff slammed! So, that is THREE slams on fly with Captain Emir this week. What could be better for Captain Emir? His son Gordy went out fishing with his friends and Gordy got his first slam on fly. WOW!

OTHER SPECIES: Nice schools of jacks sharing the same water with Mr. Permit.

FLIES THAT WORKED

Guide of the week: Captain Emir. Why? Three slams on fly this week for his anglers. Whoa! We are so proud of Captain Emir and his son in training, Gordy. Thank you.

This Week's Summary:

Well, we have had some weather, and we have had some amazing things happen this week! The renovation is almost finished and the lodge is looking beautiful. We are super excited about our Ribbon Cutting party coming up to celebrate the new room additions on the 19th. To our guests this week - thank you from all of us at El Pescador for sharing your time and dreams with us. Your job is to go infect others with your passion for fly fishing. Yes, it's a blast when the fish are put to your hands, but it is also very rewarding to see others go out and feel that same excitement!

Cast to your dreams!

Marty #496018 09/24/14 05:32 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

September 14th - 20th, 2014

Weather Conditions: Mainly sunny with scattered thunderstorms.

Winds: We had some wind earlier in the week, but then it calmed down to E @ 5.

Air Temperature: Mid 80's to 90, for the High. High 70's, for the lows. Winds: Moderate 5-10 mph Easterly winds most of the week then moved ESE 10 - 20 as the tropical wave moved through.

Moonphase: Last Quarter September 15th

BONEFISH (Macabi): We love it when guests come here to El Pescador and turn into anglers! Todd is getting married! And all his buddies were here for his bachelor party. Party they did, but they also fished! Some learned their double haul, some learned to cast for the first time. And�they all caught bonefish on the fly. Bragging rights go out to: Todd, Charlie, Jordan, Tyler, John Garrett, John, Paxton, Riley, George, Clark, Ed, Ryan, Kacey, Avery and Cheever! Amy and her husband Jay were here to celebrate "their" time after their daughter's wedding! Jay is fanatical about his fly fishing, and Amy showed up as a "good sport." Congratulation to Amy for her first bonefish on fly! Mike was here for Bonefish Tarpon Trust. We had a guide meeting to look at areas we want to protect in the future. His wife Barbara has caught bonefish on fly before, but this time she just wanted to throw a jig with shrimp and call it good. She was thrilled with her fun fishing and spending time out on the flats with her husband. Albert was here with his fabulous wife Dorothy - and their son Jason. Albert and Jason were the fishing team and they both landed bonefish on light spin. They came back smiling everyday! And let's not forget long time fishing buddies Jeff and Mike. They both caught bonefish. Mike was a very good sport as he had to listen to Jeff's bragging�because his bonefish went toward his slam!

PERMIT (Palometta): Wow. It's been really tough to listen to all the permit stories and not go out. That will change this week. But for you permit lovers, the guides are reporting things like�."They just sat there," "A big slow moving school," "We changed flies and then they attacked the mantas shrimp," "the fish ate twice," "do they know it's not usually this easy?" For the initiated, of course we know it's about permit personality problems. One guide told me while I was permit fishing, "You desire the fish too much!" That's what happened with Mike. He melted. Cesar said he wanted to jump start him with his boat battery! Mike did recover with two big tarpon, but that's the next paragraph. Cheever landed two permit on fly with Captain Cinoeh! And that's the final score for the week. Nice going Cheever!

TARPON (Sabalo): Oscar has been accepted to Oxford. His grandfather Marrku told him if he got in - he would take him on the fly fishing trip of his dreams. Oscar has a few more days to fish, but so far - he has several bones to the fly in addition to his tarpon on fly with Captain Luis. Yay! I hope your luck continues Oscar. Avery landed his tarpon on fly with Captain Cinoeh. Awesome. And Edward is clearly addicted. He landed a really nice tarpon with Captain Vince on fly. And yes, he is talking about his next trip here and he would love to bring his wife! Mike was able to recover his personality when Captain Cesar told him to cast to the sighted 60 lb tarpon. Done. But then the party continued. Mike landed two tarpon, 50 and 60 lbs - on fly, with Captain Cesar. Nice. And then let's not forget Albert! Albert showed up and said he wanted "big fish." Well, a nice 80 lb tarpon on spin with Captain Hilberto did the trick! So, 5 tarpon on fly this week, and one on spin. Congratulations!

Grand Slam: Not this week. Darn close.

OTHER SPECIES: Nice schools of jacks. Some shots at snook, but the ignored the fly.

FLIES THAT WORKED

Guide of the week: Captain Cinoeh. 2 permit on fly for Cheever and one tarpon on fly for his fishing buddy Avery! And this was during a bachelor party! Thank you Cinoeh.

This Week's Summary:

It's Independence Day here in Belize on September 21st! Another fantastic reason to party - which San Pedro does well. Celebration is in the air. And El Pescador is celebrating! On September 19th, Ali lead the ribbon cutting ceremony thanking the staff and crew that all assisted in the timely lodge renovation. The rooms are flat out gorgeous. As I write this, our first guest will stay in a newly remodeled room tonight! The bachelor party is floating around in the pool telling lies about their fishing and everything else. The staff is all planning on watching the fireworks at midnight, and I'm sure there will be some sleepy eyes in the morning. Luckily, it's not a busy day tomorrow. We do look forward to some big fun times coming up. In the meantime, share in our celebration. Check out our El Pescador facebook page. Thank you to everyone for a great week. Plan your fishing and practice your cast!

Cast to your dreams!

Marty #496336 10/02/14 05:28 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

September 21st - 27th, 2014

Weather Conditions: Mostly cloudy and rainy all week, with Saturday being the only nice weather day of the week. It did not stop our anglers from getting out, adapting and catching some fish.

Winds: Calm - 5 mph winds out of every direction imaginable. Several squall could push winds to 20 mph for short periods of time.

Moonphase: New Moon September 24th

BONEFISH (Macabi): All the guests had the usual luck with bonefish although there were some slow days when the flats received too much rain, bonefish are not happy with too much fresh water so they were a bit finicky in spots. Oscar and his grandfather Markku came all the way from Finland for this trip as celebration for Oscar's acceptance into Oxford where he will be headed next month! Tom, Gregg, Kevin, Elizabeth, Matt, Mike, Cory bagged their bonefish early on and started concentrating on permit and tarpon. Bert and David landed their first bonefish on a fly the first day out with Capt. Hilberto. Despite bad weather they stuck to it and came out on top. Charlene (a special non fishing guest) got into the bonefish action while fishing off the dock with some of our spin gear. She was proud to wear her new El Pescador bonefish pin back to New Mexico. Herb caught his first bonefish 29 years after his son Barry caught his first bonefish! They are having a blast with Captain Kechu.

PERMIT (Palometta): 3 permit for Matt on Monday! That may be his lifetime quota! After Captain Emir and Matt landed the first one Matt got out of the boat and waded while Emir and Mike went after the big school of permit. Mike had one about to eat when a pesky bonefish zoomed in front and grabbed it. In the mean time Matt had landed 2 more on his own on the same flat he landed the first one, a single for Henry with the help of his guide Kechu pretty much made his week!

TARPON (Sabalo): Oscar landed a good tarpon with the help of Captain Luis on the platform. Matt got into several tarpon early in the week but the first he landed was on Tuesday with his now trusted guide Emir. Matt landed a nice 30-pound tarpon in the dismal weather on Wednesday, with Mike joining in with an epic battle with a 70-pound "teenager" that jumped 7 times! David (first time on the salt with a fly rod) got his 50-pound fish near the boat and just as the guide reached for the leader the rod broke!! The fish surged off but David was not going to lose, he gently hand lined the fish back to the boat while his guide Hilberto was holding his breath! The best fly casting student on the planet (Elizabeth) wanted to see a tarpon this trip, didn't need to catch one, just see it. Well she saw one, she cast to one, she saw it eat her fly (after a nice 60 foot cast by the way), and she saw it jump but sadly saw the fly come loose at the same time! Wow, she was stoked, another tarpon addict is born! Her husband Tom landed his tarpon on the next cast and both were grateful to guide Cesar who was calling the shots from the poling platform. Our long time friend Mike from the UK had a good first day with Capt. Cesar with a 100-pound tarpon to the boat and jumped another one using light tackle. There are some migratory fish still around through October so it is a great time of year for tarpon.

Grand Slam: Almost for Matt, and Henry, they both had chances at tarpon on the day they got their permit, but alas, no takers!

OTHER SPECIES: Jacks, Cudas, triggerfish, snappers

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR TARPON - Chartreuse bunny, Black Death, Chartreuse/yellow Toad

Guide of the week: Captain Emir for the prolific results for Matt and Mike, 3 permit, 3 tarpon and bunches of bones of course! Captain Emir is on fire! I could easily make a argument for Capt. Cesar who showed off his tarpon prowess all week.

This Week's Summary:

A pretty dismal weather week turned in some good fishing. With only 2-5 boats a day going out the results were very good. The sight fishing as tough as guides had to rely on reading the water surface to find fish. This could be tarpon rolling, permit making wakes, or bonefish tailing. Both anglers and fish were pretty wet!

Cast to your dreams!
Ed Blank [email protected].

Marty #496657 10/10/14 05:33 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Sept 28th - Oct 4th, 2014

Weather Conditions: Mostly sunny.

Winds: Calm - 15 mph winds out of East most days were around 10 mph

Air Temperature: Mid 80's to High 80s for the High. High 70's, for the lows.

Moonphase: First Quarter October 1st

BONEFISH (Macabi): Ron and Ellen joined us for their first saltwater fishing trip. Ellen was the cheerleader and chief photographer while Ron did the fishing. There was lots of bonefish to the boat for Ron with Capt. Cinoeh at the helm. Cesar led Jim to his first bonefish, while Jim's sweetheart Jennifer went diving almost every day. Perry and Claudia visited us from Texas and landed some bonefish with their guide Cinoeh. Father and son, Dean and Dave were a delight and had some great success with bonefish both guided an unguided during their stay. Scott and Monette got some great bonefishing in during their 2 days of fishing here at El Pescador. John, Rob, Ed and Ron came together to enjoy all species of fish here in Belize. Bonefish were fooled every day.

PERMIT (Palometta): ); Dave and his father Dean saw several large schools of permit their first day out. When I say large, the guide estimated it at 500 fish easily as it covered a 30-40 yard circle. Lots of permit cast to with just a couple brief hookups. John landed his first permit of his career with Captain Emir while Captain Kechu managed to guide Ed to his first permit of his career. Congratulations to both of them.

TARPON (Sabalo): Mike from the UK jumped and then landed one. Dave and Dean stuck one in a tight little mangrove opening, with Dave putting the fly tight into the hole, 2 strips and game on! He was successful in getting the tarpon out of the main area on mangroves but the fish swam underneath 2 arched mangrove roots and then headed directly under the boat. There was a valiant effort to pass the rod through the roots, which actually happened! The middle rod section separated, Dean ( Dad) was hand lining while they rejoined the rod, and after all that they as soon as they put some good pressure on the fish, the fly popped loose! Elizabeth (the tarpon queen) jumped another one on their last day and her husband Tom was able to land a nice one with Captain Luis calling the shots for them. Since there flight did not leave until almost 4 pm they were able to get some great fishing in on their departure day. Jim got a nice tarpon while out with Captain Cesar. Rob's group did well with tarpon with Ron and John with a couple of nice ones. Perry was tarpon king of the week with 3 landed and a few more jumped with his guide, Captain Cinoeh.

Grand Slam: Both Jon and Ed jumped tarpon the same day they landed their permit but it just wasn't meant to be as the hook just popped out as it so often does with the acrobatic tarpon.

OTHER SPECIES: Jacks, Cudas, triggerfish, snappers

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONEFISH - Gotchas, Christmas Island Specials, micro crabs, ( many others)

FOR PERMIT - Large Christmas Island special, Avalon

FOR TARPON - Cockroach, tan Toad, Green and white Deceiver

Guide of the week: Captain Cinoeh for his multiple tarpon with Perry and Claudia.

This Week's Summary:

A great week even though it was lightly attended with just 3-4 boats going out daily, weather was great, permit, tarpon and bonefish were available each and every day.

Cast to your dreams!

Marty #496772 10/14/14 05:12 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

Oct 5th - Oct 11th, 2014

Weather Conditions: The week started Ok but turned bad midweek - to their credit our anglers persevered and were rewarded.

Winds: Crazy winds that were Calm - 15 mph out of the west, east, and everything in between! Some moments of calm were interrupted by 20 mph winds as a squall approached from the east!

Air Temperature: Mid 80's to High 80s for the High. High 70's, for the lows.

Water Temperature: Temps 81 degrees

Moonphase: The full moon is on October 8th

BONEFISH (Macabi): Christina caught her first bonefish ever while wading on her own near the lodge - wow! Congratulations to our friends Dave, Chip (Aka Tito), Doug (AKA Dookie Spinner), Jay, Andy, and their fearless leader Gary as they had a great "business" trip with lots of fishing. Bonefish were no enemy by the end of the week, despite some sour weather. Bob had his first ever bonefish on his first day out and was pretty impressed with a 3 pound fish that took him to his backing twice! His second day was about 10 bonefish! Roberta and Jim, Roger and Craig, Scott and Jim all had the bonefish's number. Belated honeymooners Chris and Breanna fit in 3 days of fishing in their busy week. Gene and Kate (first bonefish), Joe and Mark (first bonefish), Mark and Karen, Harold and BJ, all arrived late in the week to match "wits" with the silver ghost of the flats.

PERMIT (Palometta): Doug caught 2 permit his first day and his boat mate Dave got 1 permit - they think Captain Emir walks on water. Jason landed his first permit that same day thanks in part to his good casting as well as great guiding by Captain Cesar and his father, Ed, who acquiesced the bow for most of the day while the grand slam was pursued. A few bites fro permit midweek for a few folks but none stayed tight. We were back in the permit game on Thursday when Rob landed his permit to start the wedding anniversary slam with Capt. Emir.

TARPON (Sabalo): Our friend Andy from Hatch Reels landed 2 and jumped another on Monday. Scott and Christina got their first guided day out with Captain Vince, and Scott was rewarded with 2 tarpon as well. Andy got in to a couple big ones today with Hilberto, but none were landed. Chad, and his father Brian, had a banner day with Captain Tomas out on Savannah flats. Even though the weather was stacked up against them, the tarpon were not! Scott and Capt Kechu teamed up for his first fly-caught tarpon and jumped 2 more. Jenny was not left out of the anniversary rewards as she grappled with a tarpon that made her sore for a few days (no one felt sorry for her) and got some tarpon strip setting practice on another fish that didn't stick.

Grand Slam: Rob and Jenny were married here at EL Pescador a year ago and they returned in glory as Rob slammed on his first day out with Captain Emir�. Amazing! Jason was sooooo close when that tarpon ate hard and ripped off 30 feet of line when the heartbreak of a slack line became a reality. He is going for it again tomorrow!

OTHER SPECIES: Roberta and Jim tried their hand at some reef fishing with some cudas, jacks and snappers coming to the plate! Other anglers happened to catch both Horse Eye Jacks, Jack Crevale more Cudas for some tight lines on the cloudy days.

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONEFISH - Gotchas, Christmas Island Specials, micro crabs, ( many others)

FOR PERMIT - Large Christmas Island special, Avalon

FOR TARPON - Cockroach, tan Toad, Green and white Deceiver

Guide of the week: Captain Emir for a 3 permit day and a grand slam, Wow!

This Week's Summary:

A decent week despite rather average to poor weather. Permit, tarpon and bonefish were available each and every day.

Cast to your dreams!

Marty #497141 10/22/14 11:12 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

October 12th - October 18th, 2014

Weather Conditions: The week started perfectly with a great day on Sunday, then clouds moved in with some scattered thunderstorms the rest of the week.

Winds: Calm-10 mph Sunday, 10-15 on Monday, Tuesday- Saturday was a lot of 0-5 mph with occasional 20 mph gusts when a squall line approached.

Air Temperature: Mid 80's for the High. Mid to low 70's, for the lows.

Water Temperature: Temps 80 degrees

Moonphase: The last quarter moon is on October 15th

BONEFISH (Macabi): More bonefish for Gene and Kate, BJ and Harold. The woodlands Orvis store brought guests and everyone caught some bonefish. Noble and Joe hosted a group of 8 anglers treating some to their first ever bonefish on a fly; Simon, Joe B., Lou, Frank, Sam, Gwen, Joan, Honeymooners Kristen and Val, honeymooners Brandon and Crystal. Returning for the 10th time over 20 years, our good friend Pete put some flies into some decent size bonefish (3-4 pounds) while he was hunting permit with Captain Kechu. Father/daughter team Larry and Chelsea arrived late in the week and started out with their first bonefish of their fishing careers.

PERMIT (Palometta): Joe and Mark had some good shots, Jenny and Rob had some decent shots, Jim and his brother Kevin put the fly in front of a few, but apparently their permit karma was not topped off. Maybe next time! My answer to catching a permit? Keep doing it. I would say an average of 25 good presentations to a permit will result in a bite, it may be the first cast it may be the 50th or even the 200th, but it will happen if you persever. Joe hooked a nice permit that broke off much too easily, maybe it was cut by the tail, who knows, then it happened again! We tested the leader back at the lodge and his 16 pound leader was breaking at 3 pounds, I have never seen such a discrepancy� they were recently purchased, kept out of the sun, perhaps the packaging got mixed up, but boy that was painful.

TARPON (Sabalo): Dr. Neil jumped a couple more fish on Sunday with Capt. Cesar but none were brought to the boat. Jenny hooked another tarpon on Monday. Chris got a tarpon to the boat with Captain Cinoeh. Kevin, who has been here 3 times in the last 6 months, jumped one on a cloudy day out at Savannah Flats with his long time guide Tomas. Brandon was able to get a tarpon to the boat after having hooked several others; he was out with his new wife Crystal, Capt. Emir and his son Gordy who is apprenticing. Pete from Rhode Island was able to land some tarpon with the advice of Capt. Kechu

Grand Slam: None.

OTHER SPECIES: BJ and Harold got into some jacks (Horse eye Jack and Jack Crevalle) Chris had a boat load of barracudas, a huge tripletail on the flats was landed by Joe??? Yep, on the flats, go figure! Snappers, grunts, grouper. Boxfish - check!

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONEFISH - Christmas Island special, Spawning Gotcha, Crazy Charlie tan

FOR PERMIT - Mantis shrimp

FOR TARPON - Black Death blue/White deceiver

Guide of the week: Hilberto for the hard work he put in for Joan and Gwen that resulted in permit.

This Week's Summary:

Although the week was fairly cloudy the site fishermen did surprisingly well searching for nervous water, tails or rolling fish.

Cast to your dreams!

El Pescador guest Gwen and her permit

Marty #497366 10/28/14 01:31 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FISHING REPORT

October 18th - October 26th, 2014

Weather Conditions: The week started perfectly with a great day on Sunday, then got cloudy, some scattered thunderstorms the rest of the week. Nothing to write home about weather wise, but the report below indicates fish are still biting for those who persevere.

Winds: Very calm but cloudy in the beginning of the week, with a really windy (15-20 mph gusts) day at the end of the week.

Air Temperature: Mid to high 80's for the high. Mid to low 70's, for the lows.

Water Temperature: Temps 81 degrees

Moonphase: The last quarter moon is on October 15th

BONEFISH (Macabi): Tricia, Chelsea, Chelsea's Dad Larry, Larry B, Doc Larry, Chuck, Bryan, Norm, Stan, Chuck, all received their bonefish pins, awarded for you first El Pescador bonefish you land. (we of course do the same with permit, tarpon and grand slam pins as well!) Sharon, Joyce, Bill & Betty, Jack & Mara, Tom & Pam all arrived late in the week and got right to some good bonefishing. Cliff as hunting mostly tarpon all week but managed a few bonefish,

PERMIT (Palometta): Eric landed a gorgeous permit with the help of his guide Captain Hilberto, a truly beautiful fish. Earlier in the week he also landed a rare variation of a permit that has long exaggerated fins. Stan also landed a permit as part of his weeklong slam here at El Pescador.

TARPON (Sabalo): A big time tarpon week! Chelsea hooked up a nice one while out with Captain Vince. Sanny and Dan both got their first fly rod tarpon with Capt. Emir on their first day out. One boat midweek hooked up a few times, got a few jumps out of one before it took off to Mexico, never to be seen again! Chuck had one on for a while during his outing with Captain Alex. Bryan got a tarpon thanks to Capt. Tomas. On their last day together it was Stan's turn, after all, it was his birthday! It took until 2 pm but they got it done. A beautiful birthday tarpon for Stan, he will remember his 48th for a long time! Bruce has 2 tarpon so far with Captain Cesar. Check that... Bruce added another 2 tarpon today along with a broken rod. Ryan came through on Saturday with a nice tarpon with Capt., Hilberto assisting on the poling platform. It was the worse weather day of the week but the best fishing day for Ryan.

Eric got into the tarpon action making his week long slam a reality with Captain Hilberto at his side. Eric has only been fly fishing for a year and his hard work and determination has put him at the top of the class.

Yippeee! for Chelsea who had a goal, stuck to it and made it happen on her last day with a great tarpon to the boat with Capt. Vince while her dad Larry watched beaming with pride.

Grand Slam: Master angler Bruce got a snook one day but couldn't complete the super slam mostly because permit are really crafty little devils.

OTHER SPECIES: Cudas, Snook, Pompano, Jacks, that rare permit thing, snappers, shad, Tripletail

FLIES THAT WORKED

FOR BONEFISH - Christmas Island special, Spawning Gotcha, Crazy Charlie tan

FOR PERMIT - Gotcha, Merkin

FOR TARPON - Black Death, Blue/White deceiver, tan bunny, White cockroach.

Guide of the week: Hilberto for the permit and tarpon he worked to find for his Angler Eric.

This Week's Summary:

It was a special week at the lodge but it was even more special for 2 guests. Daniel and Maria were engaged to be married during their stay at El Pescador! He proposed while they were diving, it made the whole lodge happy!

Cast to your dreams!

Page 15 of 49 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.