Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]
Diving on North Ambergris Caye has always been more pristine but the sites need some TLC in the way of Mooring Buoys so dive boats don't drop anchor on the reef. We're installing some rope and buoys tomorrow to make our visits low impact.
Juan has been splicing rope in preparation for tomorrows outing to the North Ambergris Dive Sites. The San Pedro Tourguides Association donated the rope and a special thanks to Carla Velasquez who collected from the beach, buoys washed ashore from storms over the last few years.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
That's great ! on behalf of the reef we thank you!

M
M
We'd still LOVE to know how to get involved in this. We have tried to do this for the past year, but our buoy's keep getting stolen. It's a huge pain and expense, so anything we could do to participate would be greatly appreciated. (And I'm sure there are others out there in the same situation.) Thanks!

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
In my experience the rough weather is usually the culprit and the missing buoys are found washed up on the beach. Tying knots won't work,that's why we splice the rope. The San Pedro Guides Association and Hol Chan Marine Reserve trained a few of their guides to install the buoys in a certain manner using special ropes and stainless steel shackles. Billy Leslie of the SPTGA or the Hol Chan Marine Reserve can help persons wanting to get involved in the installation and maintenance of these moorings. I have to admit my interests are a little selfish in that I'm accommodating my dive shop in establishing sites close to us in the North. Hol Chan and sites close to San Pedro are over visited and suffering from it. These sights will have a natural buffer on visits due to cost of fuel and their distance from town.

White Sands Dive Shop
How far "north" Elbert? (evil grin)

elbert Offline OP
OP Offline
The real North half as found when using a compass and map. You know I have a sense of humor about it but this misconception of North Ambergris Caye will get us neglected by the Town with city services and such. The Town board thinks they have a plan for the water and sewer for the North but if you look at their plan on a map it's on the South half of the island. Just saying it's a silly semantics joke but it in reality will get the North end of the island left out with things like police protection, fire department, sewer, water , telephone and of course road if they think Tres Coco's is North Ambergris caye.
...and of course there is the North Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch, looking after the South of the island :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
Its the age old conflict of north and south! wink

I first became aware of public moorings to provide reef protection when we took the boys to Bonaire in the mid 80's. Its a remarkable marine park and one Hol Chan Reserve could certainly use for new ideas (if they haven't already!).

Here is a link to their moorings policy...

http://www.bmp.org/moorings.html

Seriously, I don't know of a town that is 27 miles long. What should occur,
is a new and fully designed town next to the old abandoned landing strip to accommodate the northern part of Ambergris Caye. Complete with a master plan etc.. It could be named Elbertsville or Belikin Towne. Obviously it would be a small town at first but It would grow very fast I'll bet.

Last edited by champion; 11/12/14 08:32 AM.

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
P
P
Any public land up there Ministers don't have their eye on?

Y'all are southerner's to me! North Ambergris Caye, HA! Isn't that mid-island?

Thanks Elbert, White Sands and Hol Chan for putting up more mooring byoys. Would love to see more in the true Northern Ambergris waters. It's frustrating watching boats throw out anchors in the shallow waters, just to hook on to the patch corals.

The new northern town could be called Basil Jones. He played an instrumental part in the Battle of St. George's Caye. He sailed his boat from Basil Jones, Ambergris Caye to St. George's Caye to raise the alert that the Spanish armada was on the way.

Coleen

Beach bum, butterfly stalker, native plant enthusiast.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.