Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I have a funny wrinkle for you in your diagonal parking line-painting ...... a driver of a Smart car reminded me that golf carts don't have doors, and cars do - meaning you need a bit more width for a car of you intend to open the door and get out!

What traffic?
I live on front street. I watch the 'traffic' go buy all day. I keep looking for the jams everyone is stuck in to happen, but they don't. Waiting for a vehicle to make a turn is not a traffic jam. These are city streets, not highways. There is a distinct different between rude/stupid driving and traffic. I am not aware of any congestion problem being solved by closing a street. I am also unaware of any lack of parking being solved by eliminating parking spaces.

That said, there are changes that could benefit traffic flow thru town without closing streets.
1. Pave the road from the lumber yard up to the round a bout.
2. Traffic going south makes a right at the round a bout all the way to Tropic air all one way.
3. Back street goes south thru the ball field to Tropic air.
4. Pescador drive should go one way north with parking in the east side.
5. People going north never cross people going south.
6. Side streets alternate one way for cross traffic.
7. Front street stays open minus all the north bound traffic on Pescador. People would only go there when they needed to go to the Town Board, the Lion's Den, the tour guided assoc., the library, ,or one of the 2 churches, 3 banks, 12 hotels, 13 bars, 15 restaurants, 61 shops, or 33 multi-unit housing buildings on front street.
Note: I counted all business except bars, restaurants and hotels and housing as shops.
We are talking about disrupting the lives and livelihoods of hundreds of people so you can wait 30sec vs. 45sec to make a left turn.
My plan creates no new choke points and removes the choke point at Xtream Geeks leaving only the one at Tropic which already exists. Only getting Tropic to move their nice new terminal next to Maya and donating enough space for a traffic circle(round a bout) will ease that.
Of course all this depends on SPTB completing step one which will happen shortly after they dredge the back channel enough to open the new terminal.
Next post Taxis.

[email protected] to book your fishing trips.
P
P
Nice idea Steve. I think I posted it about three pages back - minus keeping Front Street open which I think would be nice pedestrianised for Tourism. This would however swing rents back on Front Street to premium rates, that they have always been without being worth it or a good return for most businesses.

I agree "Heavy traffic" is subjective and nothing like major Cities. However compared to five years ago it is really bad - so five more eekkk.

I like Steve's idea. How much business do locals do on Front Street? Closing this to vehicles would make a dead zone during off season.
I think the one-way side streets need to be studied and rerouted for better traffic flow.
Why do we have to detour for SPRC school kids at lunch time? No other school gets this kind of attention. The kids desire to walk four-abreast needs altered. When they leave school in this manner they seem to think it OK to continue through town shoulder to shoulder. Just my 2 cents.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Taxis (should this be a new topic?)
I know a few taxi drivers and mostly nice guys. I can understand the feel of the horsepower as well as anybody else.
There are times however when they tend to play what I call 'The Game'.
I do not pretend that I know all the rules to this game, but it seems that you are supposed to get as close to something/someone as possible (without hitting it?) and keep going. If you hit someone's mirror like happened to Dorian keep going, if you knock someone to the side a little bit keep going.
The chances of being caught are slim, people are shocked and fail to see who did it.
The following is hereby proposed:
A safety complaint system be created for all certified taxi drivers.
First complaint = warning. Hey, yield you represent the country, island and yourself. 5 day suspended license.
Second complaint = Hey, are you paying attention? Behave yourself or you will not be able to drive a taxi. 10 day suspended license.
Third complaint = Look, no more chances, 30 day suspended license,
Fourth complaint = you lose the cab for 30 days.
Number 4 will probably not happen since most drivers lease their cabs and the owners will not lease to them with 4 complaints if they will have their asset impounded for 30 days.
BTW when my dog Coco ran under a taxi the driver stopped. We were on middle street by Social Security and traffic backed up quickly. It was not his fault so I signaled him to just go on. I do not know who it was.
On that point, taxis are supposed to have big numbers on them.
Just today I noticed many taxis, mostly yellow, with no numbers on them.
The traffic department should NOT, repeat NOT set up a checkpoint for this. Just ride around on their cycles and get this done.
Issue tickets to taxis without numbers front, back, and sides for $100. If they bring back the cab within 10 days with the numbers, no charge. If not, Pay the hundred dollars and 4 different pre-schools get to paint your number on your cab.

A closed front street is an empty front street. I had the CocoNet Internet when they were paving the road and my business was down 80%. Nobody, NOBODY wants to park in the old ball field and walk to the park. It is not quaint, cute or the local way, just head back to the resort and get a drink.

P
P
Above is a good point too. We aren't the size of Playa del Carmen

I used to hear the chant "We are not Cancun!"

Harriette
The %of visitors who RETURN over and over is very high here specifically because we are not Playa or Cancun. I can't tell you how many people tell me that they have been here tried there and like it better here. The cost of getting all these people to return is zero.

We are unique and need to remember that. What we offer is so different than anyplace else and we need to capitalize on our specialties.

Harriette
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.