Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
Arriving Wed. May 1 for first time ever. What type bug spray or repellant works best? Also, wife wants to know how much the 'chicken drop' costs.

[This message has been edited by Mississippi Joel (edited 04-29-2002).]

i used deep woods off. i have heard (but didn't try) baby oil for no-see-ums.

don't forget your spf 30. that sun is brutal, and you don't always feel it with the wonderful breeze.

O
O
Was there 4/13-4/20....never used either of my 2 types of repellents....even on the jungle walk to Maya Ruins...nice breeze the whole week..no bugs or sand fleas. Chicken drop costs $2 american...friend with us bought 5 tickets and the chicken pooped on 2 of her numbers!!! thus she split the $100. return with her husband.Lucky!!( agree with sun lotion...I used the 50 which my tanned and peeling daughter ended up using.)

[This message has been edited by oldmom (edited 04-29-2002).]

[This message has been edited by oldmom (edited 04-29-2002).]

The World Famous Chicken Drop is $1.00 bz per square.
See you there
Jim

Jim
When I need bug spray, I used Deep Woods Off. One time, my friend used a citronella product that she swore by and I used the Off. She looked like she had the chicken pox and I only had a few bites.

That said, I always smear it quite liberally around my feet, ankles and lower legs. I do this to not only deflect the sandfleas but to drown the more intrepid ones. [Linked Image]

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

S
S
Forget the deep woods off, get 100% deet from wal-mart or academy (or any outdoors store), especially if you are going inland.

It usually comes in a small bottle and it works incredibly well.

LOL, Deep Woods Off is like 95% DEET.

no it wasn't. i think more like 30%.

Not the stuff in the can, the stuff in the small plastic pumpspray bottle. It's only about 4" long and 1 1/2" across. It contains 95% DEET and 5% related toluamides (whatever the heck those are)

The label says 100% Repellent and is supposed to have up to 8 hours protection agains Mosquitos, Black Flies, Chiggers, Tick, Fleas and Gnats.

It works great for me and I can usually buy it off the shelf near the sunscreen at the local drugmart and in the camping equipment area of other kinds of stores.

You are right about the other stuff in the can. It is only 27% DEET, so it really pays to read the labels. Once I couldn't find the little pumpspray bottles cuz it was mid-winter. I bought the can thinking it was the same thing just not as easy to get into a baggie and well . . . 27% just doesn't work like 95% does.

Now all that said, I was just reading where anything more than 50% offers no more equivalent protection, so is overkill and may be harmful to your health. The amount of DEET in the product dictates how long it will last, as I understood it. And so of course, we don't want to be applying it all day and all night, so going with the longer active product is more convenient. When we use the lesser DEET percents, the effectiveness doesn't last as long. So possibly the 27% DEET product works just as well as the 100% DEET product, however, it quits being effective long before the higher concentrate does. Therefore, we end up with bites after an hour or two and think that the 27% product wasn't working. Apparently, there are some new products out (I don't know which ones) that contain 33% DEET and are also supposed to be effective for up to 8 hours.

[This message has been edited by seashell (edited 04-30-2002).]

B
B
Hope you're as lucky as we were with the bug situation. Just got back from 10 days on AC. Less bug problem there than at home in the Midwest this time of year. Actually, hubby mowed last night and got one mosquito bite which is one more than we got in all 10 days in AC. Took lots of bug spray of varying kinds and carried 99% of it back home.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.