Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#498603 12/03/14 04:41 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hello... new here... and new to forums to please excuse my ignorance I'm not sure exactly how this works.

Leaving for Ambergris Caye Dec 16th and staying at Victoria house. Would like to know of any hiking close by. I know we'll have to take a boat to the mainland but from there I'm clueless.

Thanks!

AKennell

akennell #498604 12/03/14 05:04 PM
S
S
hike
verb

: to walk a long distance especially for pleasure or exercise : to go on a hike

: to suddenly increase the cost, amount, or level of (something)

: to pull or lift (something, such as yourself or part of your clothing) with a quick movement

Based on that definition you can head north and hike for 20+ miles. Plenty of flora and fauna to see.

akennell #498605 12/03/14 05:30 PM
A
OP Offline
A
hmm from that reply I'm assuming you have no information for me. Thanks anyway

akennell #498606 12/03/14 06:37 PM
S
S
"Based on that definition you can head north and hike for 20+ miles. Plenty of flora and fauna to see."

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. You can hike for 20+ miles north of where you are staying and there is plenty to see. I guess it depends on what you define as hiking.

akennell #498607 12/03/14 11:06 PM
M
M
akennell - Welcome to the forum, and please forgive folks that like to play games instead of providing what they know would be helpful/useful information (or just keeping quiet).

The island is flat, so in typical terms of hiking, there isn't any on the island. The island is appx 28 miles long, so there's plenty of walking available, but no real elevation. Biking is the most popular form of getting around to see the best of Ambergris.

On the mainland, there is plenty of elevation in the San Ignacio and Maya Mountains areas. You'll want a guide, as there are also snakes and plenty of heavy jungle as well. Ian Anderson's Caves Branch would be the first place that would come to mind to ask about any kind of scheduled/guided hiking activities. If they don't offer that service, they would most likely know others that might. I know that Chaa Creek and duPlooy's Jungle Lodge (my favourite place on the mainland) offer wonderful guided tours of their grounds (mainly flora and fauna tours), but might also have some more adventurous options as well.

Here are links to those locations, and perhaps others with actual helpful information/experience will chime in as well. Victoria House is amazing, and I'm sure you'll have an amazing time!!

http://www.cavesbranch.com/
http://www.chaacreek.com/
http://www.duplooys.com/

All the best!

Have a look at our blog...we enjoyed some fine hikes on the mainland in Cockscomb Basin and Bocawina Mayflower National Park while staying in the Stann Creek district. These are better options for overnight visits, not day trips, I'd think, unless you want to spend all your time getting to/from the parks.

http://bebelize.weebly.com

Good luck and have fun!
Emily

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
akennell #498648 12/04/14 03:52 PM
S
S
"The island is flat, so in typical terms of hiking, there isn't any on the island." That's your personal definition of hiking. When I lived further up north many years ago I I used to go hiking all the time. I think you're assuming that you walk the road or the beach while forgetting that there's plenty of wide dry land with lot's of wildlife. Behind X'tan Ha there's miles of high land to explore and further south you can take the road over towards the subdivision and head north when you hit dry land. It's not easy and you better have GPS or a compass but there's loads to see in those areas. Just because you don't go up and down doesn't mean it isn't hiking. I would do it again but I got rid of my fancy French hiking boots and all my Columbia gear. Try taking a look at the island on Google Earth sometime... Apology accepted.

akennell #498650 12/04/14 04:30 PM
Hello Akennell....Victoria House is a beautiful resort and you are staying at a geographically perfect place....(IMHO)....Head South on the Beach and cross over about 2.5 miles and you will find the Marco Gonzales Maya Site....(fun stuff to see there)...I have taken the 'hike' back into the site and it will provide for some excitement....In addition less than 2 miles North on the beach and you're in town central where there is plenty to see, do & learn.....And whether you choose to trek around the island or rent a golf cart you are in for a treat.....We look forward to your visit and wish you an amazing adventure.....

Last edited by Judyann H.; 12/05/14 06:51 AM.

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.