Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#499647 01/07/15 07:20 AM
C
OP Offline
C
We've been coming for 10yrs and have always taken Mayan or Tropic over. We're thinking about the water taxi this year. Not for the price, just the experience. Any advice? We're flying from MIA to BZE as usual. Long trip actually after the ride from Lauderdale to Miami. What's it take to get to the taxi? Is it fun? Is it worth trying? Thanks.

Scott
M
M
Get a taxi from the airport -- about 20 minutes and BZ$50 to reach Belize City.

There are two water taxi services and each has their own terminal in BC. Have a printed copy of the schedules (see websites) with you so you can see which service has the next boat going. Tell the taxi driver to go to that terminal. I don't think there's enough difference between the two services that would make me want to wait for the next boat from one particular service.

It's about 1 hour to CC, and another 15 to 20 minutes to AC.

Fun. Not really, but an experience. Basically it's a bus on water. I always thought they should be called water buses, not water taxis.

There is also Tropic Ferry. It is pretty much the same cost as flying. It goes directly from Ladyville(where the airport is) to San Pedro and will drop you at your dock.
Neither experience is "fun", but the Tropic Ferry is far better than the public ferry from Belize city because it not crowded and takes you directly to your destination. BTW - you can't see anything from the boats.

Tropic Ferry contact details (correct as of yesterday):

office number is 225-4939
email [email protected]
(or the general manager's email is [email protected])

Promoting love and encouraging grassroots in the city..... www.belizecitydaytrip.com
J
J
The seven years I have changed from Tropic to the water taxi....WT is very nice and It's like flying on a 1950 airline where the in float service is great. The weather is another question...pick your travel day carefully.

In the past I've tried to discourage folks from the water taxis long and uncomfortable ride but we now have Tropic Ferry and it's a different beast altogether.
[email protected]

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
M
M
Anyone know what it is like taking a water taxi to Mexico? Going to be there in February and my buddy wants to do his bachelor party there.

The boat to Chetumal is fine. Not overcrowded like the one to Belize City. The bay can be choppy so the ride may be a bit rough, but it's a good way to get to Mexico from here.
Be sure to change some money into pesos whilst on the boat, as you will need the cash for fees on arrival.
The boat operator will change both US and BzD into pesos.

C
OP Offline
C
Well sounds like the flight is better. We stay at Sunbreeze hotel which is right by the airport. If there's nothing to see from the taxi why not fly?

Scott
Originally Posted by CrackOfDawn
Well sounds like the flight is better. We stay at Sunbreeze hotel which is right by the airport. If there's nothing to see from the taxi why not fly?

You see much much more from the air than from the sea. These boats are enclosed and you face the other passengers, not scenery.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.