Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WWIII Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I have a question about Travelers Checks. Are they accepted in Belize? Can you go the one of the local banks (Belize Bank) and cash them? Can you give them for payment (to a local guide) and can he cash them or deposit them in the local bank? Thanks in advance.

becoming more and more difficult. Don't suggest it since credit cards are taken most places. I'll defer to a local who may know more about how banks are treating them these days but when I inquired 8 years ago it was already trending to be out of vogue.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
C
C
Travelers checks we had no luck with in Europe and the Caribean. When I asked 10yrs ago is they took Amex down there, most of the replies were no. But they did. Amex to me is by far the safest bet. If you have an issue they go to bat for you. If your buying suviniers or street food you need cash. Other than that if there don't take cards keep walking.

Scott
I've stopped accepting travelers checks and refuse American Express.
Tourist con merchants with Amex and I see no reason to subject myself to the abuse.
Leave home with out it. Visa, Mastercard and two types of currency should be enough for reasonable business.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
C
C
Elbert.....With all due respect its not the tourists conning the merchants. It's the consumers protecting themselves from being conned by the merchants. My last expieience was with a hotel. I took my boat by water with friends down to the keys from Ft Lauderdale. My wife took my truck down with the girls. They obviously got there before us and checked in. When I got there we docked and checked in to clean up and go find the girls. A month later when I checked my Amex bill they charged my wife's card and my card (which are connected). I of course disputed it and Amex credited it immediately. The hotel fought it for 6 months claiming they had both signatures. The signatures were irrelevant cause they were for the same room. I use my Amex every day and I bet I miss a lot of things like this. The merchant has the option to contact the consumer and basically say WTF if they are in the right. The primary reason merchants want to save the 1% more that Amex charges. If you don't trust your customers then you shouldn't accomodate them. If you don't trust your services then don't take Amex. Customers want the protection. This is said with all due respect.

Scott
S
S
I'm with Elbert, our company main base has been screwed by AMEX for 5 figure sums. With AMEX the customer is right even if they're not. The potential losses don't justify accepting it.

Amen, you never know who to trust or not but when they pull out a Amerx card the suspicion and scrutiny starts.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
We took traveler's checks down in 2010 but found them to be such a pain to exchange for Belize dollars at the bank (plus were charged a fee for the service) that we never took them again. You can bring cash, credit cards, and use ATMs -- all are simpler than traveler's checks.

Not to mention all those signatures you have to do on each check. PITA.

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
Hah.... I just found about $200 in TC that I bought 15 years ago, tucked into a long expired passport.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
M
M
Traveller's cheques are still an option but not the best option.

I finally used up my 12+ year old cheques last year. Atlantic Bank and Scotiabank would not cash them unless I had an account at the bank, and then the process was going to take about three weeks for the money to be deposited into the account -- not possible to receive cash. I cashed one cheque just for interest, and the money appeared in the account a few weeks later. No fee was charged.

At Belize Bank, the cheques were accepted immediately, and I obtained the funds in BZ$. No fee was charged. Passport required of course. Very painless process as long as the queue is not too long.

I've never tried to use cheques at a business.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.