Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#500697 02/04/15 02:39 PM
D
dschick Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I've read a lot about medical costs for people being much cheaper in San Pedro than in the US, but I haven't read anything about vet costs. How do they compare? I currently have vet insurance for my three dogs and am trying to decide if it would still be beneficial when we move to SP.

Dawn Schick
S
S
If you go to the Humane Society they are very low but then you can top up the fees with a nice donation to the society to help subsidize vet costs for those who can't afford them. It helps keep the animal population healthy. There will be those that scream bloody murder that those who can't afford to care for their pets shouldn't have them but there are very creative words to describe those people.

If your insurance is a pay and submit bills then I don't see why you shouldn't keep it. Many of the humane societies are 501c's so the donation is tax deductible.

Even if you don't use the humane societies the vets are still very reasonable.

SimonB #500702 02/04/15 06:11 PM
R
R
Simon is correct but I would like to add. Vet bills are expensive in the USA and probably not much different here. I'm very happy with my experiences with our private vet. I've heard you can save some money if you use the vet at SAGA.

That is good but before we had a private vet (the only one on the Island) there were months when we didn't have coverage from any vet. Since we've had a private vet we've had coverage all the time. Make a choice but if you can afford it, saving a few bucks might be short sighted.

I think we need both SAGA and a private vet. We should support both, I do.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
S
S
We've had our female dog spayed at SAGA, was very satisfied. The cost was more than half of what it would have cost in the states, but we doubled the payment for a donation.......personal choice. SAGA is highly recommended in my book.

I am very happy with SAGA whenever a pet is adopted they are given all of their shots and neutered if not already done and very reasonable cost. I have taken all of my dogs to SAGA and can not praise them enough. Ingrid even helped me with a life threatening emergency late one night.
The only time they were shut down was due to some unpleasant political issues (which have been solved) and do not need to be revisited here.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I can't compare costs here with elsewhere but I can attest to good care.
Both my dogs came from Saga. Both were happy, non aggressive and in good health.

One of my dogs is now epileptic. When she had her first cluster seizures I took her to San Pedro Animal Hospital. Dr. Laurie actually took her into her apartment each night and slept next to her to care for her. We've arrived at a medication regime that works, and this wonderful dog is still with me. Her meds are not easy to get,but SPAH helps me get them, and always follows up on her condition.

May I add that SAGA does great work. This island had lots of suffering and abandoned animals before SAGA was formed. With the snip campaign, awareness programs, etc., SAGA has made San Pedro a better place for all of us critters.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.