Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Natalie, my heart so breaks for you. What can we do to protect the trusting? This attack could well have been a human child instead of a furbabie. Both are horrific thoughts. How can someone take a dangerous dog out without having full control of that dog? Perhaps mandatory muzzles for dogs with a history of biting? Or, not allowing them out at all? Typically it is the fault of the owner, not teaching, not controlling, not caring. I am so sad that this is happening.

At what age is it determined I am old enough to know better?
D
D
I am about to move to san Pedro with three tiny dogs. Is this still something that I need to be concerned about when walking my dogs?

Dawn Schick
Yes, I am sorry to say, you do need to be very aware. I do not let my little guy off leash AT ALL anymore due to attacks by packs. It is all so unpredictable and happens so very fast.

mar
If your dogs are very small you might consider acquiring something like a stroller that is closed up with mesh fabric and in which they could safely be pulled or pushed along outside. Otherwise, a sturdy enclosure of some sort for the dogs to be penned in while they are outside. And always use a leash in transferring from inside to wherever.

D
D
I have to say this scares me a little bit. I was under the impression that Saga's work was limiting the number of strays. I'm assuming that these are strays and not someone's dogs allowed to roam?

Dawn Schick
Consider not bringing them in the first place.

D
D
Wow!

Dawn Schick
R
R
Many people on the Island have small dogs and I see them walk by on the beach every day. Usually only one though.

Having said that, there are many people here who own dogs and do not keep them under control. To compound the matter many of these dogs are pit bull or have pit bull in them and can be menacing. I have a medium size dog who weighs about 55#. He has been attached several times even while traveling in my vehicle. I mean with the vehicle in motion. My dog has never been hurt until recently and that seems to be healing just fine. A friend of mind has had similar experiences and he has the same size and breed dog as I. He now carries a stick anytime he is walking his dog.

A lot will depend on just where you live but in any case you will not be able to let your dogs outside on their own safely unless you have a secure yard. With caution you should be alright but 3 small dogs is a lot to keep a close watch on and it happens quickly.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
SAGA has no authoritative control over the dogs on the island. It is trying hard to teach responsibility to people who have dogs but there are beliefs that stem from longstanding habits about letting dogs roam even though they may have a home. I can think of a couple of types of small dogs that don't know they are small and if a fight is started those "toy" dogs will go for the throat of a larger dog in the blink of an eye, as opposed to running away. The main thing is you must be responsible for your dogs' safety in any case.

Originally Posted by Inplub
Consider not bringing them in the first place.

I said something similar in nature and you would have sworn I spit in your oatmeal I agree, AC really doesn't need anymore dogs. There are plenty there that need homes. Who takes the blame if something tragic happens to one of your dogs.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.