Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#502469 03/20/15 07:13 AM
R
ragman Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Does anyone have the phone number you can call to get help with a bird in distress? I know there were a few articles about this subject several weeks ago but I can't seem to find a number and I guess I'm not putting the right wording in the Search Engine. A friend of mine had an osprey chick fly out of it's nest this morning and it is sitting on the beach. We are worried that a dog may come along and bother it.

My guess is that if it is not molested by someone or something it will be just fine and eventually fly but just in case. The parents are circling it and making quite a racket.

ps: It is out here on the Island in San Pedro.

Last edited by ragman; 03/20/15 07:15 AM. Reason: ps

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize

Last edited by ckocian; 03/20/15 07:24 AM.
R
ragman Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you I passed on the number for the Auburn Society in Belize City.

Yes, that 2nd group is who I was looking for. Thank you again

Last edited by ragman; 03/20/15 07:31 AM. Reason: yes

Jim
IMHO It's always negative to interfere.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
R
ragman Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I'm with you in most cases Elbert. This chick did fly and is now perched on top of a Palapa so no interference was needed as it is out of immediate harms way. There are a few hungry owls around so we'll see if it becomes dinner for one of those.

Now it remains to be seen if the parents will continue to feed it as it is located about 500' from the original nest. I guess if it gets hungry enough it will move over closer. It is still too young to hunt on its own.

Anyway I was just helping a concerned friend with the contact info. They did not call for help.

Jim
I know it is hard not to 'help nature' along.

In addition to the Great Horned Owl couple there is a very big Black Hawk hunting in this area. I have a new, very small cat, that I know would be easy prey for any of these large birds. She is also a hunter. Second night here she caught a bird on the wing flying through my living room. Eat or be eaten is the rule of the jungle.

However, I can't help but want to get rid of the Iguanas who eat my seedlings and bougainvillea flowers. My favorite pair of Great Kissadee's spent weeks building a big nest in the Sea Grape tree and then abandoned it due to presence of the Iguanas.

One of my workmen just brought me a lovely medium sized nest that was built under the eaves where they are finishing the wall. In it is the remains of dried up new born baby bird. Interesting how the birds used pieces of plastic for the foundation.

We all have our level of rightness.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 307 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.