Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: I was there that day [Re: Marty] #502472
03/20/15 07:28 AM
03/20/15 07:28 AM
San Pedro AC Belize
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
Correct me if I an wrong about the timing of the helicopter evacuation, I think that 90 minutes for a helicopter to arrive is pretty fast. They are not standing ready as an ambulance service. Somebody had to contact them, get pilot etc. and it must take about half an hour to fly there?

Re: I was there that day [Re: Marty] #502480
03/20/15 10:07 AM
03/20/15 10:07 AM
Birdland - 1 mile north
ScubaLdy Offline
ScubaLdy  Offline
I would also like to know what level of certification the diver had. Many people never bother to get an advanced certificate even if they have done 100's of dives. This is an issue PADI and DAN have been pushing for.

I thought all dive boats carried oxygen and all dive masters had CPR training.

Perhaps an option could have been to put the victim, family, dive master and anyone who did not want to continue the dive on Half Moon Bay to await for the Coast Guard and helicopter.

This is a very ticklish matter. Imagine you are a diver who has spent a lot of money and have a limited amount of time to do the dives of your dreams. There is nothing you can do for the victim. Then of course the dive operator would have to refund the money to anyone who did not dive.

It's one of those daxxed if you do and daxxed if you don't situations. Believe me - the dive shop will be put through hell while being thoroughly investigate.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Re: I was there that day [Re: Marty] #502490
03/20/15 01:37 PM
03/20/15 01:37 PM
C
cracked up Offline
cracked up  Offline
C
If it could have made a difference, time wise to save the victim, Northern 2 Cayes has an airstrip, 20 minutes by fixed wing acft. from Belize City or SPR. Also, a dr. could have most likely been available for the flt.
just hindsight now though..........

Re: I was there that day [Re: ScubaLdy] #502491
03/20/15 01:48 PM
03/20/15 01:48 PM
Sequim, WA & San Pedro
Loansum-Al K Offline
Loansum-Al K  Offline
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
I would also like to know what level of certification the diver had. Many people never bother to get an advanced certificate even if they have done 100's of dives. This is an issue PADI and DAN have been pushing for.

I thought all dive boats carried oxygen and all dive masters had CPR training.

Perhaps an option could have been to put the victim, family, dive master and anyone who did not want to continue the dive on Half Moon Bay to await for the Coast Guard and helicopter.

This is a very ticklish matter. Imagine you are a diver who has spent a lot of money and have a limited amount of time to do the dives of your dreams. There is nothing you can do for the victim. Then of course the dive operator would have to refund the money to anyone who did not dive.

It's one of those daxxed if you do and daxxed if you don't situations. Believe me - the dive shop will be put through hell while being thoroughly investigate.

For God's sake Harriette there's a dead man with his family and you think the other people are entitled to fulfill the vacation of their dreams while rigamortus sets in on the poor stiff. Reminds me of one of the National Lampon Vacation movies when they tied the dead grandmother to the top of the roof of their car while they finished their vacation laugh

Last edited by Loansum-Al K; 03/20/15 01:49 PM.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Re: I was there that day [Re: cracked up] #502492
03/20/15 01:50 PM
03/20/15 01:50 PM
3.6 miles North of San Pedro, ...
D
Decompression Offline
Decompression  Offline
D
No matter the particulars in this case, its been a tough year+ for the ADM operation.

DC

Re: I was there that day [Re: Marty] #502494
03/20/15 03:14 PM
03/20/15 03:14 PM
S
SimonB Offline

SimonB  Offline
S
I think the reason for Half Moon over Northern 2 may have something to do with the facilities for support at the rangers station during an emergency.

Re: I was there that day [Re: Marty] #502495
03/20/15 04:16 PM
03/20/15 04:16 PM
Canada
seashell Offline
seashell  Offline
I agree with Diane as to the length of time for helicopter to arrive seems to be almost as fast as it could possibly get there and so must have been contacted right away.

Loansum, do you dive? Some divers might even have thought it the respectful thing to do, to continue diving because for example, if I were the victim myself, I wouldn't want anyone to miss their dives because of me. And I'd want them to continue their dives if they felt able. That to me would be respectful and an honor of my love of diving and our diving fellowship.

Last edited by seashell; 03/20/15 04:17 PM.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Re: I was there that day [Re: Marty] #502497
03/20/15 06:11 PM
03/20/15 06:11 PM
reaper Offline
reaper  Offline
It's a very long boat ride from the Blue Hole to Northern Two Caye. Gustavo flies a lot of missions in the 407 and 206 with Astrum Helicopters. They are not just on stand by for medical events. Did they have to wait for a doctor before launching from Belize City? In a perfect scenario it would be at least an hour to get out help flown out there, IMHO.

As for an AED, they only help two types of heart rhythms. And CPR, once started, shouldn't be stopped. Usually a survivor of CPR is treated at a hospital in a rapid manner.

As for continuing diving that day, that should have been left up to the non family member divers, IMHO.

Re: I was there that day [Re: Marty] #502498
03/20/15 06:23 PM
03/20/15 06:23 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada and S...
A
AJ Baxter Offline
AJ Baxter  Offline
A
Marty,
Might be time to close this thread. Too many opinions from individuals with no direct knowedge or information to add.

Just one more opinion...

Re: I was there that day [Re: AJ Baxter] #502500
03/20/15 07:16 PM
03/20/15 07:16 PM
San Pedro. Belize
Tracker Offline
Tracker  Offline
Originally Posted by AJ Baxter
Marty,
Might be time to close this thread. Too many opinions from individuals with no direct knowedge or information to add.

Just one more opinion...

Could not agree more. Marty close this thread lets show some respect for the family.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
A bullet fired,cannot be called back.
A.C.G.C.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
June
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 132 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics74,622
Posts488,839
Members19,889
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.