Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
bywarren #502541 03/22/15 07:29 AM
I've been down 10 or 12 times or so. Have stayed from one of the island to the other. I have come alone, come with my best friend, my sons and my wife. In all those trips over the past 5 or 6 years, I have never had a problem of any kind or even been close to any. Yes, I have been out to midnight listening to music and have walked the beach at night, but have always stayed aware of my surroundings. We keep coming back because we feel safe, the reef, the island and the people. Next trip already planned!!!!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
azbob #502543 03/22/15 07:57 AM
R
R
I agree with Bob. The only problem I ever had was getting home after spending several hours with Bob at Canucks a few years ago. Fortunately a taxi brought me from the watering hole to my door safely. I think? confused

Seriously, when my kids were a little younger I used to try to get them back home at a reasonable hour. That is difficult in the late teen and early 20's years. But they were warned to stay in tourist areas, stay in groups and absolutely no drugs meaning them or anyone in their company. Also, my advice has always been that "no good happens after midnight"

They know many locals and didn't always follow my advice on midnight but neither of them ever had a problem. Normal common sense almost always will prevail. I'm as comfortable here on the Island in my travels as I am in my home town, probably more. Like Dianne I carry a flashlight at night. (a special one, but I also take special precautions at home, it's just me)

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Latt #502546 03/22/15 10:15 AM
2 cents: Since we bought our place about 4 years ago we visit several times a year. My wife, who is very conscious of her personal safety feels completely at ease as do I. Diane and Hariette are on point.

Latt #502551 03/22/15 12:26 PM
P
PDS Offline
P
I used to live in;
Brooklyn which is in New York City
NYC which is in New York State
NY which is in the USA.

If someone ask me if USA safe what my answer could be?
Yes, America is safe.
No, New York City is not safe.
Yes, New York State is safe.
No, Brooklyn is not safe.

I used to have 4 locks on my door.
Now 1 in San Pedro
I used to pay a fortune to "thief insurance" for all our stuff
Now I do not have any.
We were picky when we go out because you have a big chance to get a problem in the bar or on the subway station
Now we enjoy every place in the island.
I used to carry a bat in my car.
Now I carry nothing but Beliken on my boat
It goes and goes

A lot of people from modern world are leaving in the island.
They have brought their all savings and hopes to this place. Some of them are in the business, some of them just enjoying the island life. So if you ask this forum members "if it is safe" and somebody says "no" it would be just ironic. If an outsider says no, it would be just funny.

Latt #502556 03/22/15 06:38 PM
B
B
Welland, it still doesn't make any sense whatsoever that you are trolling a forum for an island that you love, but never plan on returning too. Keep that logic in the US where ignorance is a popular way of life.

Everyone else, my wife and I walked the beach late at night when it was pitch black with no flashlights and the worst that happened was that we were offered weed. Most people living on this island or visiting for vacation might even consider that convenient. As everyone else said in so many words, be logical about where you are hanging out and when and you'll be fine. I've been to many countries and always knew when I was in the wrong area...So I moved on.

Brett
Counting the days until I retire...

Latt #502557 03/22/15 07:32 PM
W
W
I never said anything bad about the Island and I never said that anyone should not go there. Have you ever considered that there are reasons that are none of your business why I can't plan a trip there? Nothing criminal.

Last edited by Welland; 03/22/15 07:40 PM.
Welland #502558 03/22/15 08:23 PM
Just because someone has not been a victim of crime does not mean crime does not exist. I cant in good conscience tell people it is safe to walk the beach at night, drunk or sober, safe to go anywhere on the island or safe to leave anything in your golf cart unattended.
If people were only to travel places where they were 100% safe they would not travel much. Unfortunately, San Pedro used to be one of those places. It pisses me off that it is no longer. And having to use the logic that it is safer than some crime ridden cities in the US, is a sad excuse.
Hopefully there are people who don't just try to raionalize it and are more dedicated to recognizing it and correcting it.

Latt #502559 03/22/15 08:35 PM
W
W
well said. When I came there in 1995 that was the way it was. Progress has surely changed the Island.

Latt #502561 03/22/15 08:51 PM
L
Latt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
We plan to stay just on the north side of the bridge. I read a couple reviews of having to travel via
Golf cart through a "shady" part of town to access the north side. Any worries traveling to the north from town after dark?

Latt #502563 03/22/15 09:53 PM
S
S
What is the gasoline situation on the island?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 334 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.