Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Latt #502565 03/23/15 04:31 AM
R
R
No, I do it most every day. No even sure exactly what you are talking about. It is fine by either the main street to the bridge or along the water front.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
ragman #502566 03/23/15 04:57 AM
B
B
They may be referring to San Mateo. You don't really have to go through it, just near it. And if I'm not mistaken, it's not a high crime area, but just more of a poor area. I never felt threatened by anything on the north side.

Brett
Counting the days until I retire...

seaglass #502569 03/23/15 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by seaglass
What is the gasoline situation on the island?

Two gas stations. No problem.

Latt #502574 03/23/15 07:25 AM
S
S
I have to ask. Just where are you reading these reviews about travelling through a "shady" area of town?

Latt #502579 03/23/15 09:32 AM
R
R
Good question Simon. If anyone thinking of coming down here currently only ventures short distances from their gated community in a high end neighborhood maybe they wouldn't be comfortable here or most any other country in the world. I might have the wrong impression but if that is the case, please stay in your comfort zone which may not be in a poor country.

The rest of us take a chance every time we cross the road. (especially lately) We except certain calculated risks in our everyday life and consider it a trade off for the great surroundings and people we live among. With that we are comfortable. Of course we are also striving to make our neighborhoods safer for everyone and we criticize certain happenings that could have either been handled better or prevented. People are not perfect and crap happens. Most of the crap around here happens in certain neighborhoods where the criminals live and terrorize their neighbors with their rivalries. Very few Gringos are involved with most of this problem. When you read of a shooting or murder 99% of the time tourist or expats are not involved. That does not make it right but that is the way it is.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Latt #502584 03/23/15 12:29 PM
J
J
I've been to Belize three times now, and I'm really hoping for a fourth time this summer. All have been in the last two years.

What I've learned, is most everyone on the island is friendly and polite to tourists - even drug dealers and prostitutes. A simple 'No Thank You' or 'I'm not interested' goes a long ways. If being asked offends you, then I suggest you stay away from most every major city in America....

My schedule is all over the place while on vacation - usually an early (pre-sunrise) riser, but sometimes stayed out late for karaoke or seeing a band(s) too. I enjoy my time here so much I am constantly adding friends to join me on my excursions. I am not fearful for my safety or belongings at any time.

ALTHOUGH - someone did swipe the headlights out of my golf cart last year (in the interests of full disclosure =) ) I parked the cart where I'd been explicitly told not to do so - so I take that one on me. I enjoy walking more now lol.

Latt #502585 03/23/15 02:18 PM
W
W

ragman Thanks for your honesty

Latt #502592 03/23/15 06:35 PM
To me the shady part of town is where there are a lot of big Almond trees to shade me on hot days or a place to hunker under when we have 5 minute rain showers. Come to think of it - my place is very shady. smile

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
ScubaLdy #502613 03/24/15 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by ScubaLdy
To me the shady part of town is where there are a lot of big Almond trees to shade me on hot days or a place to hunker under when we have 5 minute rain showers. Come to think of it - my place is very shady. smile

I agree Harriette, your place is VERY shady grin

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
SimonB #502758 03/28/15 09:02 PM
L
Latt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by SimonB
I have to ask. Just where are you reading these reviews about travelling through a "shady" area of town?

The reviews were on Tripadvisor.

After reading these posts I feel completely safe bringing my family down. We will be looking to buy a home while on the trip.

Thanks all!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 293 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.