Belizean Hot Cross Bun Ingredients
1/2 c. Warm Water
2 eggs (beaten)
4 1/2-5 1/2 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
2 pkg. or 2 TB active dry yeast
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
˝ tsp vanilla
1 c seedless raisins
1 c milk
1 egg yolk
1/4 c Blue Bonnet margarine
2 TB cold water
1 c sugar, light brown
1/2 tsp saltMethod
1. Measure 1/2 cup warm water into a large bowl. Stir in 1 tsp sugar and
active dry yeast. Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.
2. Meantime, combine milk and margarine in a saucepan. Heat over low heat until liquid is warm and margarine melts.
3. Stir in 1 cup sugar and salt.
4. Add liquid to dissolved yeast.
5. Add ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, vanilla, 2 eggs and 1 1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth.
6. Stir in an additional 3 1/2 cups (about) flour to make a soft dough.
7. Turn out onto lightly floured board: knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
8. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk. about 1 hour.
9. Punch dough down; turn out onto lightly floured board; knead in raisins.
10. Divide dough into 18 equal pieces. Form each piece into a ball; place balls in 2 well-greased 8-inch round cake pans.
11. Combine egg yolk and 2 TB cold water, brush buns with mixture.
12. Cover; let rise warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk. about 1 hour.
13. Carefully cut a cross on the top of each bun with a sharp knife.
14. Bake in moderate oven (375 F ) about 20 to 25 minutes, or until done. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.