Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Cdoucet Offline OP
OP Offline
C
How do you guys manage calls to/from the USA without breaking the bank? I have AT&T but the international roaming fees are pretty high. I want to go and spend the summer in San Pedro, but still need a way to talk to Mom.

I seem to remember back in the day you could get a phone number through Skype and it would ring through a computer. Does anyone do this? Is there a better option?

M
M
I uses Skype to make free computer to computer calls -- works fine. There is an option where you can pay to make calls to a telephone -- never tried it.

Others I know have ipads and use FaceTime -- never tried it.

Might help to know what sort of gadgets you & Mom have.

K
K
You can rent a cell phone from Diane at GoPhones. Add your own credits and it's fairly affordable. I don't have her contact info handy, sorry.

Originally Posted by Cdoucet
How do you guys manage calls to/from the USA without breaking the bank? I have AT&T but the international roaming fees are pretty high. I want to go and spend the summer in San Pedro, but still need a way to talk to Mom.

I seem to remember back in the day you could get a phone number through Skype and it would ring through a computer. Does anyone do this? Is there a better option?

Get skype. Put credit on your skype account. You can call any phone number anywhere from your skype app on the computer, with minimum charges for the call. Definitely the least expensive option out there. Pennies per minute.

Several options.

1. Have your phone unlocked. Get a digicell sim card. Load credit on triple up days only. Call mom in evenings or on weekend. Minimal rate.

2. Download Facebook Messenger on Mom's phone before leaving (as well as yours), call (when connected to wifi) anytime, anywhere, talk as long as you want for free.

3. Buy a cheapie phone from SMART (my personal fave). Buy minutes on triple up day (50.00 and up gets triple credit). Use that credit to purchase to buy text bundle, international text bundle, call after 8 pm or weekends. If you buy an android from SMART, you will get 3g service! Use your triple credit to buy data package for internet service! Basically you will have free internet, international texts and text messages and still have credit for phone calls in Belize or wherever.

And, of course, Number 3 is my favorite!!

Words have power. Speak it into existence.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.