Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
OP Offline
N
Has anyone had experience of shipping good quality Belizean wood furniture to the U.S. Or Canada and, critically, does is crack or split in the lower humidity or heated homes up there?

B
B
I actually do not have the answer to your question but I am currently working with an outstanding wood carving artist that makes decorations and furniture with the wood here so I can ask. If you are interested in any custom pieces feel free to PM me.

Not if you keep it well oiled, just apply a good furniture oil often. Also works for wood carvings.

Reality..What a concept!
N
OP Offline
N
Thks!

S
S
If the wood is green, it can still split, even if it is oiled. Many local woodcarvers think wood is "dry" after a month or so.If you oil zericote (slang=ironwood) you will likely lose the beautiful grain which was the reason you bought it for. If you buy from a shop that is air-conditioned (much lower humidity), then the drying has already been done for you.
Canadians: Correct me if I am wrong, but I think would products have to be completely sealed to be allowed in Canada.

ONE of my guests bought wooden bowls that both cracked after a few months in California. I'm sure the wood must have not been dried. When buying carvings from the beach front you need to know what you are getting.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I bought a beautiful wood end table (many different kinds of exotic woods) that folds up. They packed it for me and I checked it as check luggage. It's been sitting in my living room for about 9 years now here in California. It has not cracked or dried. I do keep it oiled. On some of the wood carvings (which I also have) the artist would polish it with bowling ball wax before I purchased it. I bought a friend a wooden bowl, which did crack but I blame that on the harsh cleaning and lack of seasoning of it.

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
N
OP Offline
N
Thank you for all the comments!

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 178 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.