Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
T
I think the cost is closer to $200 USD per foot of 8 foot wide dock using treated pine decking and PVC posts with a palapa and electricity and water and of course using SS hardware. The lift you can purchase through Captain Sharks. Nobody builds more docks on Ambergris Caye that Armando Graniel.

You can always find someone to do the work for less but there is a cost to that.

Not all docks are created equal so make sure you get everything you need

Originally Posted by TravelinMan1
Not all docks are created equal so make sure you get everything you need

So true, but it only takes one good storm to severely damage even the best of them.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Personally, I can't see investing in a "pride of ownership" pier. They are all public and very temporary.
You can dock a boat and swim from a simple pier as easily as from a fancy one.

If money is burning a hole in your pocket, please consider relief projects for earthquake victims, SAGA, Red Cross.

H
Heidi A Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Geeez folks...who has "money burning a hole in their pocket"? All I want is a modest dock to moor a modest boat for snorkeling and diving. Thought a lift if affordable, might reduce my maintenance costs on the boat and motor and increase their longevity.

Drink in my hand, toes in the sand..
Over the last couple of decades I've built, bought, sold and am building another now on the island. I've watched them rot and seen them blown away but still want to own my pier and not pay rent to dock my boat or have someone impose silly rules on me about how I should manage my affairs.
PVC post and stainless nail are very sensible, but $200.USD a foot can't be a realistic meter of cost because the length or the pier determines how much a foot. Imagine buying a 10 foot dock for 2,000. dollars :-) but a 100 foot dock for $20,000.USD is a good guess for a quality dock. however if your property is in front of a lot of shallow water you may find yourself needing a 200 foot dock to reach water deep enough to float your boat. That 200 dollars per foot figure should then decrease.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
D
D
Originally Posted by elbert
Over the last couple of decades I've built, bought, sold and am building another now on the island. I've watched them rot and seen them blown away but still want to own my pier and not pay rent to dock my boat or have someone impose silly rules on me about how I should manage my affairs.
PVC post and stainless nail are very sensible, but $200.USD a foot can't be a realistic meter of cost because the length or the pier determines how much a foot. Imagine buying a 10 foot dock for 2,000. dollars :-) but a 100 foot dock for $20,000.USD is a good guess for a quality dock. however if your property is in front of a lot of shallow water you may find yourself needing a 200 foot dock to reach water deep enough to float your boat. That 200 dollars per foot figure should then decrease.

May I also suggest a dock that is constructed in a matter where it can be partially disassembled before hurricanes for tropical storms. I've actually noticed quite a few docks north that were constructed where removing every other deck board was almost impossible. No bueno.

DC

Good suggestion, the waves in a storm come for below the dock pushing upward and removing the deck partially sometimes saves the dock in a very bad storm. I used lag bolts on a lot of the boards so they could be taken off with a ratchet However I never have done it. The storm warning time seems too short for me and that amount of detailed preparation, some folks do find the time and it is a good idea.
By the bye, everyone seems to be endorsing dock builders, so my recommendation is Mike Coleman.
He has an office on front street across from Belize bank.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
The lag bolts are a good idea. We have a long pry bar and pull out every third board but that's a lot of nails to pull, replace and stick into every part of your body that they can find. I might just switch up to lag bolts on some boards and then use a heavy drill with a socket drive on it to get them out quickly.

S
S
Someone needs to start say a "GoFundMe" page, to buy the island of Caye Caulker a Makita router or such... to use on the edges of their dock decking before they put it down. What's with the wide spacing/hard edges on so many of the dock over there??? Good grief.

Just a comment from a disinterested " hands on" type forum reader. The suggestions of Stainless Steel Lag Bolts AND a corded or cordless drill motor( with socket) to remove every 2nd or 3rd plank is great.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.