Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#504245 05/14/15 08:36 PM
Shyboy Offline OP
OP Offline
Since electricity is expensive here and sun is abundant, I expected to see more of a Solar Industry here.. Ok; imported from the mainland and not based here. Why is this not a blossoming industry on the island?

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
Shyboy I think lack of understanding and too few elections that know how to do installations. Having observed my installation two neighbors immediately wanted theirs. One already has his in.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I have recently installed photovoltaic panels with microinverters here in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. I cannot recommend them highly enough. I just can't imagine this not being a great thing on the island. My two main concerns would be expertise of local electricians and the corrosiveness of the atmosphere. Plus I wonder if you could get the good quality cells down there without paying a huge custom fee. If the people running BEL had any brains, and I stipulate that they don't, then they would get into this business and sell the installations and have them supplement the power being purchased from Mexico. It would be a win-win all the way around and for that reason it obviously won't be done.

I'd be interested Scuba Lady in knowing how your installation holds up and whether or not you have batteries in your system.

Last edited by CaptOneIron; 05/16/15 05:51 AM.

Captain One Iron
F
F
Harriette - Where did you buy your system and who did your install? I am currently looking into this for our home.

-Aimee
I think the outfit is called North Woods something or other in Colorado. I'll look it up and let you know. Installed by an USA educated electrical something or other (BA or BS degree). Nice gringo who has lived here some time.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
I was trying to find the card hence the delay. Solar Energy Solutions Belize just did an install on one of our boats, they were originally located on the island about 12 years ago but are now in Belmopan.

www.solar-energy-solutions-belize.com

Does BEL buy power from solar panel users? Do they do net metering? Seems to me that is a big question to answer because if you don't have to have batteries that makes it much more attractive.

Captain One Iron
Shyboy Offline OP
OP Offline
I have taken the liberty of contacting BEL by email and their website. I have asked for the best contact person to answer Solar questions. Maybe I will get a response: if not, I will call when I am there in June. I will also check into Simon's link above.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
Shyboy Offline OP
OP Offline
I looked at Simon's link.. They will have all the answers.. I have contacted them and will follow up with more info. There was supposed to be direct grid hookup ( no batteries) by the end of 2014.. I'm guessing " not yet" but I will find out soon. Whether or not you buy their systems; it's a great place to start.

BEL does not buy back power.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 226 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.