Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Subdivision moves to high ground

A proposed subdivision in a swamp wetland area that caused uproar amongst local residents in September has been relocated to higher grounds. The San Pedro Sun first broke the story on September 17th, in which it outlined that over 400 house lots were being subdivided as part of a wider subdivision project spearheaded by the Honorable Manuel Heredia. The San Pedro Sun can confirm that the subdivision has been diverted to higher grounds, some 6.5 miles north of San Pedro Town.

According to Heredia, the new subdivision will now be done in an area behind the Blue Reef Resort on land belonging to the Government of Belize through The Belize Trade and Investment Development Service (BELTRAIDE).

The first phase will see 100 acres of land subdivided into regular size house lots totally over 400 parcels. "The area is high ground, perfect for residential use," commented Heredia. He explained that it is a part of a wider subdivision that will eventually see 400 acres of land distributed to first-time land owners on Ambergris Caye.

The entire project will allocate a reserve area for parks and playgrounds, sporting facility including space to accommodate a FIFA standard football pitch. It will also leave reserve land for future expansion of school, police, fire and medical facilities to accommodate the area when it grows. Within the scope of the larger subdivision, 69 industrial size lots will be made available within a commercial zone since the new subdivision will be a properly planned one.

Here's a link to the discussion on the board about the previous location

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Who needs the Morning Funnies when you can read stuff like this. The bit that made me snicker is that it'll be for "first time landowners."

Still, it's an improvement on giving away "lots" 5 feet underwater in a sensitive conservation area.

Not a single lot should be allocated until all services reach the area (including a paved road) and the entire subdivision has paved roads, lighting etc. thereon. And then the lots should be sold, not given away, to first time landowners. That'd be just in time for the 2024 Town Council elections.

We hear a lot of nay-saying about projects that get started (or finalized as they should be) as we approach election time. Of course they do. What is the point of electing somebody who does nothing.
I'd almost like to see more frequent elections so more gets done! I do agree that the cronyism is outrageous, and do not by any means support nor condone it. What I do like to see is that the old adage "nothing motivates a man like the last minute" sometimes clears up logjams of projects stymied by procrastination and lack of co-operation.

I'm confused, didn't the same person that tried to give away the underwater promised land also make these promises?? and now everyone one thinks the problem is solved??

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Why is it such a mystery who the 100 people are that "paid" for the surveys?
By '1st time land owners' that may not mean Belizeans. Humm - I love to read mystery books but I can do without it in my daily life.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
T
T
Might as well add a highway for the 6.5 mile journey in to town.

Originally Posted by elbert
I'm confused, didn't the same person that tried to give away the underwater promised land also make these promises?? and now everyone one thinks the problem is solved??

I may have put my post in the wrong thread ...... I agree that the original plan was horrific. I was just commenting that sometimes we do have a chance to be heard and we should take good advantage of it.

In Belize you always have the right to be heard, Just very rarely, if ever, listened to...

A
A
The last report I saw published on the proposed new subdivision was from Dec 1st. Are there any updates? Will phase II of the northern road reach this area?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.