Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#505527 06/27/15 05:08 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Storm Throws Seaman To His Death

For most of today, divers from the Belize National Coast Guard were in the waters around the Port of Belize Facility in Port Loyola, Belize City. They were looking for elderly seaman Leobihildo (Leo-bildo) Varela who went overboard last night. He's the owner of the Varela Tug Boat which transports merchandise and supplies from Belize City to San Pedro Town. Last night he was on his way to the Port of Belize, but he went overboard during a thunderstorm.

All accounts to us are that he and his crew were pulling his barge, "San Vicente" into the waters near port of Belize last night. The crew was caught in a squall which dumped heavy rains and strong winds on them suddenly. It pushed them off-course from the usual barge docking area, and sent them in the direction of the bridge of the Port's pier, where they certainly would have crashed. The crew opted to try to release the barge before they were tipped over, but the tugboat and the barge collided with Varela on deck. That sent him overboard, and it is believed that he may have been injured. Since then, he's not resurfaced, and everyone involved is fearing the worst.

The CEO of the Port of Belize, Arturo "Tux" Vasquez, spoke with 7News about the incident this afternoon, and here's what he had to say:

Arturo "Tux" Vasquez - CEO/Receiver, Port of Belize
"We got a call from our security people between 9:30 and 10:00, that we had an incident where a barge had run into the pier. Obviously we had a similar incident a few months ago and I was very much concerned. So, I came very quickly and what I saw was a barge was lodged against the pier. There was no tug boat insight at the time but my security had told me that the tug was already by the marina. The security told me as well that somebody may had fallen up overboard. so, there are two concerns we have here, obviously the concern for the safety of life and also my concern at the time also was possibly damages to the pier, that could be significant for us, not only in cost the whole inconvenience of importation and we wouldn't want to be going through that again. By that time the police were here. A few minutes after a lot of police and then the BERT ambulance showed up. I've heard interviews that the police were having with the captain and he was saying to them that as they were coming in there's a squall that came around between 9:30/10:00 and I know, I was on the pier and the sea was extremely rough. The barge was heading towards the pier and he was trying to stop that. So he was trying to pull the vessel back which was not possible and he claimed that it was so rough that it was about to tilt - the tug that they were in and the best thing he could have done was to release the barge which he did but after releasing it apparently he tried to still kind of bumped it away from the pier. There was a collision between the barge and the tug and that's when the other crew members told the police that he saw when Mr. Varela went overboard. One of the crew members were saying that he was probably hit. During the collision I understand that... I saw him making gestures to the police which was suggest to me that he was hit against the tug. So he may have been injured before and falling into the water. I don't know and I really don't want to speculate on that."

Leobihildo Varela is a resident of San Pedro Town. Late word to 7News is that the Coast Guard has suspended the search for the day, and they resume tomorrow.

Channel 7

Well-known San Pedro Businessman Believed Drowned Near Belize City Port

Tonight, the family of San Pedro businessman Leovijildo Varela is bracing for the worse. On Thursday night, Varela and his crew were transporting three butane trucks on a tugboat from the island to the Belize City port when he was flung into the dark sea waters near the pier. The downpour in the past twenty-four hours as well as the rough sea conditions has been impeding search efforts.�� Duane Moody reports.

Duane Moody, Reporting

The search continues tonight for the body of eighty year old Leovijildo Pablo Varela of Varela's Cargo Services Limited of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. Sometime after nine p.m. on Thursday, Varela was onboard a tugboat bringing into port a cargo from San Pedro to Belize City and as it neared the pier, the tugboat and the barge collided. The impact sent the elderly man overboard and into the Caribbean Sea. The police, paramedics and the Coastguard were called out to the scene where an investigation followed.

Arturo Vasquez

Arturo Vasquez, C.E.O., Port of Belize

"The police was here and they did their interviews, they took statements from the captain of the tug and also some of the crew members that were on the barge at the time. He is claiming that when he came in there was squall. But it was raining last night. And during that squall is when somehow�.and it was rough. I was out here and the sea was extremely rough and they were losing control of the barge and they were heading towards the pier. And he tried to reverse to pull it away; that's what I heard him telling the police. But that was impossible to do, maybe it was too rough, and it got pretty close to almost tipping over the tug. And so at that point, they decided that they needed to release the tug. But they released it in a way where once they release; they were trying to go around to sort of bump it away. And that's when apparently they had a collision between the tug and the barge because there is obviously damage on the tug that I saw last night and during that impact is when Mister Varela fell over."

Ensign David Ayala, On-Scene Coordinator for Search Efforts, BNCG

"At approximately nine-thirty-five, we received information at the Coastguard Headquarters whereby a tugboat pushing a barge collided on the king pier at the Port of Belize. Upon receiving the information, Coastguard deployed a vessel to start with the search efforts at the location."

It's now almost twenty-four hours since Varela went overboard and remains missing. According to On-Scene Coordinator for Search Efforts for the Belize National Coast Guard, Ensign David Ayala, divers have since been deployed to conduct surface operations.

David Ayala

Ensign David Ayala

"From last night, we kept the coastguard standby team here and this morning; we deployed a team of divers to conduct diving operations. Since last night we started with the surface operations so that has been conducting today. �For us, if he did drown on the spot, we would expect him to surface in approximately-the longest time-is seventy-two hours. So between that period, he should surface. Now if he died on impact or whatever, then we expect otherwise."

Duane Moody

"We know that last night, the weather condition wasn't most favorable. Would that cause you guys to expand your search beyond the port area?"

Ensign David Ayala

"Well if you can notice right now, the weather conditions are not the best right now, as you mentioned, and the currents and winds have an effect on the search that we are conducting. And most definitely we will expand from the immediate area expanding out into the open water."

This is the second time that a barge has crashed into the pier at the Port of Belize compound, says C.E.O., Arturo Vasquez.

Arturo Vasquez

"There was an incident again; somewhat similar to what happened the last time where a barge had run into the pier. Fortunately this time, there was no damage to the pier, but unfortunately I understand a passenger on the barge-I think it is Mister Varela-apparently fell overboard and up to, what I am understanding, now, he has not been found. But what we saw when we got here really was that there was a barge lodged against the pier. I understand from the captain that it didn't ran into the pier, but actually drifted into the pier so that was good news for then. So that was good news for then. So what we had to do from the Port position was to get the barge removed because it was banging against the pier. So we ended up getting some tugs to pull it away and we finished at sometime this morning. We had our engineer come in early this morning to take a look at the pier and he is satisfied that there was no damage to the pier like we had the last time; it is just minor surface concrete being chipped away and that kind of thing."

The police have since taken statements from those onboard the tugboat as to what transpired. �Duane Moody for News Five.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Elderly man goes overboard, search for his body underway

The search continues for the body of 80-year-old Leobihildo Pablo Varela, a boat captain from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. Varela was on a barge making its routine journey from San Pedro to the Port of Belize last night. Somehow there was a mishap which ended up with the elderly man going overboard. Love News spoke with CEO of the Port of Belize, Arturo Vasquez.

Arturo Vasquez - CEO, Port of Belize

"We got a call about 9:30 almost 10 pm where there was an incident again somewhat similar to the last time when a barge had run into the pier. Fortunately this time there was no damage to the pier but unfortunately I understand that a passenger on the barge fell over board and he has up to what I am understanding, he has not been found. What we saw when we go there really was that there was a barge lodged against the pier. I understand from the captain that it did not run into the pier and that it actually drifted into the pier so that was good news. What we had to do is that we had to get that barge removed because it was banging against the pier. So we ended up getting some tugs to pull it away and we finished that sometime this morning. We had our engineer come in early this morning to take a look at the pier. We were satisfied that there was no damage to the pier like we had the last time there has just been minor concrete chipped away. The police were here and they did their interviews and I think they took statements from the captain of the tug and also some of the crew members that were on the barge at the time and he is claiming that when he came in there was a squall but it was raining last night and during that squall somehow it ended up rough. I was out there and it was extremely rough and they were losing control of the barge and they were heading towards the pier and he tried to reverse to pull it away, that is what I heard him telling the police but that wasn't possible to do maybe it was too rough and it got pretty close to actually tipping over the tug so at that point they decided that they had to release the tug. They released it in a way where they were trying to go around to sort of bump it away and that's when they had a collision between the tug and the barge because there is obvious damage on the tug that I saw and during that impact as I would imagine that is probably when Mr. Varela fell overboard."

When we contacted the Belize Coast Guard this evening we were told the search continues for Varela's body.

LOVEFM

Tragic. Terrible loss for many in the community. What an amazing and vital man.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Coast Guard search for Varela continues

Search efforts by the Belize National Coast Guard (BNCG) for 80-year-old San Pedro businessman, Liobijildo Varela, in the area off the Port of Belize continue without much luck or any sign of Varela's body.

According to Ensign David Ayala, BNGC on-scene search coordinator, as of Saturday afternoon the search was still underway, but Varela's body still hasn't been found. Ayala said the Coast Guard team conducting the search included several boats circling the area where Varela was known to fall into the sea.

According to Ayala, there have been several changes in the weather conditions over the last few days since Varela went under and the shift in currents may have caused the body to drift out. Still, Ayala said, the search will continue until they are given directives from their commander that the search party is over.

Varela was on-board his tug boat on Thursday night, traveling with cargo from San Pedro to the Belize Port along with his crew. The boat was pulling a barge into the Port but a squall, which brought a heavy downpour on them, forced them to switch course from the usual barge docking area to the Port's pier.

Trying to avoid a collision, the crew detached the barge from the tug, fearing it would cause them to tip over, but the barge and the tugboat collided while Varela was on deck. The impact sent Varela overboard and some members of the crew said he seemed to have been injured on his way down.

The Coast Guard has been conducting a search party in the area since Friday morning.

The Reporter

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Memorial service held for Leovijildo 'Leoli' Varela
The Varela family commemorated the life of 80-year-old Leovijildo 'Leoli' Varela on Sunday, July 5th with a mass service and blessing. The well-known island resident was the owner and boat captain of Varela's Cargo Service Limited. Varela was lost at sea on Thursday, June 25th in a tragic boat incident. Even though his body has not been recovered, family members came together at the San Pedro Roman Catholic Church at 10AM on Sunday to say their last goodbyes. Following the church service, Varela's barge was blessed in a short ceremony. The Varela family would like to extend their sincerest appreciation to all those who have shown them support during this difficult time. Special thanks goes out all those who came out for the memorial service. May he rest in Peace.

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
This is a painting I did of Leoli Varela's tug boat. I painted it in 2010, it is one of my best. I remember him and the Elsa P from the 70's. This is a remembrance from me.
"Iguana Jack" Westerhold

[Linked Image]

Definitely one of Jack's best. Brilliant.
Thanks for sharing!

Wow

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.