FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Get Dolled-Up with Makeup by Steff
While glamming up with lipstick, eye shadow, blush and bronzer might not be for everyone, some women (myself included) love the stuff! Yes, I know it's Belize, and in these tropical climates, many choose to opt out of wearing the stuff all together. Some reserve applying a pop of glam only on special occasions and others love adding life to their outfits by extending their looks with a bit of contouring and natural gloss. For graduations, weddings, birthdays and more a lot of islanders have been getting glammed up by local make-up artist Stephanie Manuel! Trust me, her work is amazing, so much so that she's been a go to make-up artist for several of the Belikin Calendar shoots, and make-up artist to the esteemed Miss San Pedro Pageants, and Miss San Pedro herself Michelle Nunez! Steff even did my make up for my baby shower a few months ago, and does it for many others as well.

Wolfe's Woofer: Faith Healing
". . . and in the Mid-East there is tension in Syria as . . ." "Click." ". . . and tonight on Ice Road Truckers Sam Hebert has mechanical problems . . ." "Click." "Quit flipping through the channels and leave the remote alone," Sherry said. "I'm trying to find something interesting to watch," I told her. "It's amazing that with over a hundred channels there is nothing on them worth watching on Sunday night." "Some Ancient Alien theorists believe that. . ." "Click." A TV preacher said, "We received a letter and a donation this week from Martha Goodwin of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. She had arthritis in her elbow for years. Last week during the healing portion of our show she put her elbow on the TV. I prayed for her and she was healed."

Police Report: Theft of Firearm
On Monday, June 7th 35-year-old Walter Estuardo Medina reported that on Saturday, July 4th about 7:30PM, he parked his blue golf cart in front of the San Pedro Roman Catholic Church on Barrier Reef Drive and walked a few feet away to talk to someone, and upon his return he noticed that his bag that was on the front seat of the cart was missing. The bag contained his licensed black and silver Taurus brand .9mm pistol with serial number TFP70933 with a magazine containing 13 .9mm live rounds, cash and other personal belongings. Police investigation continues.

Doctor Love: New Mom
Dear Doctor Love, Two weeks ago a fifteen year-old girl showed up at our door saying that my husband was her father. I believed her immediately because of the resemblance. I met my husband out here on the island but before that he worked in San Ignacio. It turns out that when he moved his girlfriend was pregnant and was very angry that he was leaving. Instead of telling him about it she decided to raise the child herself. Four years ago she remarried. The daughter says that this year her step-father started trying to touch her when her mother was not around. She complained to her mother and she explained who her father was and where she could find him. That's how she came out here. I am still in a state of shock about all of this. Two weeks ago I had a seven year old daughter and a ten year-old son. Now, I have a fifteen year-old child to raise who is not mine. I tried to dislike her but it is impossible. She is sweet and well-mannered and is a beautiful girl. I have been trying to find reasons to keep my distance but it is hard to do. Her father immediately accepted her and adores her. I even tried to be jealous of this and I could not. I know she has been through a much harder life than me. I have started to adjust and now my biggest problem is the constant explanations to friends and neighbors. I have avoided it so far but what do I tell them?

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Update from Belize Bird Rescue
Surrogate mothers are such a blessing!! We have a few mothers at the rescue who have stepped up and taken some orphaned babies under their wings. These moms aid in making sure the babies are fed frequently and receive the adequate amount of nutrients required for growth. By accepting a baby that isn't their own, they allow us to minimize human contact which increases the chance of being successfully released back into the wild when they are healthy and ready. Thanks moms!

LOTTERY DRAWING for Sunday, Juy 12, 2015: First: 5252 Second: 5193 Third: 9768 Missing: 0, 4

Belmopan Clean Up Campaign
Belmopan had their big Clean Up Campaign Saturday. Lots of volunteers came out to help with the beautification of Belmopan. Well done! "Some images of cleanup campaign held today 11th July 2015. Thanks to the Police cadets, Dept. of the environment , BAY U-21 basketball team, Scouts and Leo's, Councillors and workers from the Belmopan City Council."

Heartz Football Club Summer Camp
The Heartz Football Club is doing a Summer Workshop, and it starts tomorrow at Broaster Stadium. "Heartz Football Club- Grassroots Football Program When: July 13-24, 2015 Time: 8:am to 12 p.m. Where: Norman Broaster Stadium Age Group: 4 years -12 years Boys & Girls (U7, U10, & U13) COME AND HAVE FUN LEARNING!"

The Reporter

Developing countries to learn how to strengthen tax systems through World Bank/IMF initiative
Developing countries will have the opportunity to strengthen their tax systems, through a new initiative which the World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) are launching. The announcement precedes a discussion among heads of state, civil society organizations, multilateral institutions and private sector representatives on how to boost finances to meet the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). That discussion will happen during the Financing for Development conference in Addis, Ethiopia this week. IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde says, "A strong revenue base is imperative if developing countries are to be able to finance the spending they need on public services, social support and infrastructure, but experience shows that with well-targeted external technical support and sufficient political will, it can be done."

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Traffic accident in Blackman Eddy
Belize Media Group has received reports about a traffic accident that happened just now between a motorcycle and a vehicle in Blackman Eddy, Cayo District. This is a developing story and we will be updating it as more information becomes available.

Sugar cane crop season 2014-2015 scheduled to close today
The 2014 - 2015 Cane Crop Season is scheduled to close today at 6pm. The official figures for the amount delivered will be issued tomorrow. We will have a full report tomorrow on the official reports presented by BSI/ASR.

Manhunt underway after El Chapo breaks out of jail
Mexican authorities are intensively searching for leader of the Sinaloa Cartel, Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, who broke out of Antiplano maximum security prison west of Mexico City between Saturday night and Sunday morning. He was serving a 20-year sentence for drug trafficking offenses. The notorious Guzman was said to have [�]

McAfee, the Movie?
John McAfee is back. The billionaire online security pioneer turned "person of interest" in a murder case in San Pedro Town will have his life story told in a six-part documentary series titled "The McAfee Project" which has been picked up by Spike TV in the United States. Director Billy [�]

Blogs

Importance of Mindset for Sustainability in Belize
Human behavior underlies almost all problems related to sustainability, such as air and water pollution, population growth, climate change, deforestation, consumerism, social equity, and loss of biodiversity. Research in psychology offers clues as to why people engage in unsustainable behaviors despite their concern about the broader consequences. At the same time, the research also explains why people go out of their way to behave sustainably, and how it is possible to motivate and empower sustainable actions. The goal of beginning to examine the psychology of sustainable behavior is to learn how to create the conditions that make sustainable action the most appealing or natural choice to all people. At present many of us find ourselves engaging in unsustainable daily behaviors that have negative environmental and socio-economic impacts. Have you ever found it challenging to persuade your best friend to shut down their computer at night? Or failed to convince your neighbors to turn off their sprinklers? Have you ever felt exasperated by your colleague's unwillingness to recycle? You are not alone. We are intelligent, thinking creatures. Why is it so difficult for us to change our behavior and act upon our sustainability concerns? One reason is that though our rational minds may know that change is needed, it is not always our rational minds that drive our behavior. Promoting sustainable behavior is not easy.

Snapshot Sunday: My Week Jungle to Reef in Belize
Sometimes you just feel lucky. And this past week or so has been one of those times. I went from spelunking the ATM cave in the Cayo District of Belize (yes�I said spelunking) and watching gorgeous toucans as I enjoyed breakfast to sitting on a sandbar on the leeward side of Ambergris Caye and eating gorgeous sushi at Blue Water Grill in San Pedro. And in the next few days, I'm planning a trip to the Blue Hole�THAT BLUE HOLE. So here are a bunch of snap shots�all posted to my Instagram account of my last 10 days�a little bit of this and a little bit of that. My life in Belize. And a few other cool pictures from other Instagram users that I just loved.

A Concise History Of Mesoamerica And The Ancient Maya Part 1
The Maya did not evolve in isolation. They made up one of the cultures of mesoamerica. Their neighbours were people like the Zapoteca, Huaxteca, Tolteca, Tlaxcalans, Mexica (Aztecs) - these peoples were all contemporary with the ancient Maya. The Teotihuacanos were one of the first civilisations. The Olmec civilisation who lived in the Gulf Coast of Mexico had organised civilisation which began about 1500BC to about 600BC, then they were absorbed as a culture into the larger culture that Mesoamericans will pursue after 600BC.

International Sourcesizz

Company Shares of Consolidated Water Co. Ltd. Drops by -0.86%
Consolidated Water Co. Ltd. (NASDAQ:CWCO) has lost 0.86% during the past week and dropped 1.17% in the last 4 weeks. The shares are however, negative as compared to the S&P 500 for the past week with a loss of 0.85%. Consolidated Water Co. Ltd. (NASDAQ:CWCO) has underperformed the index by 0.33% in the last 4 weeks. Investors should watch out for further signals and trade with caution. For the current week, the company shares have a recommendation consensus of Buy. Consolidated Water Co. Ltd. is up 4.53% in the last 3-month period. Year-to-Date the stock performance stands at 20.52%. The company shares have rallied 19.36% in the past 52 Weeks. On June 26, 2015 The shares registered one year high of $13.75 and one year low was seen on December 16, 2014 at $8.41. The 50-day moving average is $12.63 and the 200 day moving average is recorded at $11.48. S&P 500 has rallied 5.03% during the last 52-weeks.

Laguna Blanca School's Planned Trip to Belize to Include Archaeological, Cultural Enrichment
They are not ruins, they are monuments. The mysteries of the great Maya (not Mayan - that's only when describing the language) civilization present themselves with full force in Belize, especially when visitors have the opportunity to explore monuments with the archaeologist who discovered them. Laguna Blanca School teachers Arturo Flores and Blake Dorfman were in Belize to meet with Anabel Ford Ph.D., director of UC Santa Barbara's MesoAmerican Research Center, learning far more about the Maya than one would by simply walking the monuments. It's all part of the planning process for a school trip to the area proposed for next year. Ford and her team are located at BRASS (Belize River Archaeological Settlement Survey) Base in Santa Elena, a muddy 30-minute drive in the rainy season from the ancient site of El Pilar. Last week, Ford led a group of diplomats on a tour of the site, which she rediscovered some 30 years ago, and gave a first-hand look at "​archaeology under the canopy," which will preserve the monuments indefinitely while more exposed treasures wear away.

Videos

• This Water Tells My Story, 9min. The cruise to Cozumel, Honduras, and Belize gave me a chance to reflect on everything I've learned this year, my life progression, and compile a list of things that need to be accomplished in the near future.

• Belize got border, 5min.

• SpottedEagleRay -- Belize, 2min.

• Emma's Birthday in Belize June 2015, 4.5min.

• Belize, Caye Caulker, 5.5min. On my travels in Central America I stopped in Belize for 4 days. I took a ferry from Honduras to Belize City. At the same port in Belize City that the ferry dropped us off we got a ferry to Caye Caulker (the backpackers island.) I arrived in Caye Caulker around 7pm where we just walked around till we found a hostel (they are everywhere.) There are plenty of locals telling you were to stay but we trusted the many travelers that came up to us and told us where they were staying. There isn't much to do in Caye Caulker except going on trips. We did some laying around on the beach but the beaches aren't that great as there is sea grass everywhere making it also not ideal for snorkeling. I did one snorkel trip that included 3 main stops for $50 USD.

• Belize Scuba Diving 2015, 5min.

• Belize Only, 7.5min. This video is about Belize Only.

• Yucatan and Belize 2015, 22min.

• Belize Hummingbird 2015, 3min. Driving down the Hummingbird Highway July 2015

• Project Belize 2015 Trip, 23min.

• Orchid Village, Belize, 4.5min. We stayed at the Orchid Garden and Eco Village in Belize. We had a wonderful time. The service was excellent. Thank you Mr. Liao and Mrs. Tsiang and to all the staff.

• Dolphins in Belize, .5min. Dolphins following our tender back to the ship from Starfish Island on our honeymoon.

• Ziplining At Jaguar Paw Belize, 5min. The zipline portion from the Chukka Belize Cave Tubing & Zipline combo. Located on the banks of the Cave's Branch River, Jaguar Paw is an awe-inspiring ... Seemed kind of silly, but we were there and the guys running it were pros so why not take a trip.

• Great Blue Hole - unedited - Belize, 83min. This video was shoot by some young underwater explorers. I uploaded it here the raw file and kept it unedited. The Great Blue Hole is a large submarine . Full unedited video of great blue hole dive in belize. check out minutes 12 through 17 for the best of it. Huge shark at 19:00. SCUBA diving in the magnificent Great Blue Hole in the Lighthouse Reef off the coast of Belize in Central America. Our lovely team was diving the the friendly . A blue hole is a cave (inland) or underwater sinkhole. They are also called vertical caves. There are many different blue holes located around the world, typically .

• Kicking it with Joe #3 (Belize Cave Tubing), 8min. In this super awesome adventure we're in Belize city, Belize cave tubing in the jungle!

• Take off at Philip Goldsen Airport, Belize, 1min. United Airlines 1478 Phillip S.W. Goldson International Airport - Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport. Boeing 737-724.

• Arriving into Placencia (Belize), 12min. Taking the bus from Hopkins to Placencia and a little exploration. Only in town for a few hours before getting a boat to Honduras

• Lola, one of our Red Lored Parrots, feeding baby Benny, 1/4min. Here's a video of Lola, one of our Red Lored Parrots, feeding baby Benny. This vocal and physical interaction is important for building bonds and learning social cues within the flock.