Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
P
I think it might have been a poor attempt at sarcasm, aimed at me.

R
R
Right on both counts.

I also hate to see the Miami-ization/Cancun-ization of any previously unspoiled destination.

But I guess that's my hang-up (Hey....gotta have yer condos and shlockies)......

Ya Can't Stop ......(ahem) "PROGRESS" .....!

Last edited by RobertJ; 07/29/15 09:25 AM.
J
J
My curiosity got the better of me. What are shlockies ? And what is it in the singular?

R
R
"Shlockies" refers to the glitzy, cheesy, made-in-China, touristy, non-island stuff that many gringos seem to have to own and experience.
Belize is unique. I like to think that's why folks come here; to live a small portion of a life that is not part of their existence the rest of the year.
The Americanization of just about everywhere South of the Border is disheartening.

My feeling has always been, "If you want Miami, stay in Miami"

BTW, singular of "shlockies"=shlock

Last edited by RobertJ; 07/30/15 09:21 AM.
YEP; you are correct... That's exactly why people go camping.. You can get out of the tent in the morning and fish in the nearby stream, go for a hike and all that "good" stuff. Then you can go back to the Schlocky life at home. There are other people who love to fish, scuba, snorkel and tube... Yep some of them even live North of the bridge; they must have different values.

Let's get a Southern San Pedro battle flag made up and curse them damn Yankees up north.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
S
S
"I also hate to see the Miami-ization/Cancun-ization of any previously unspoiled destination."

Unfortunately it's a fact of life. http://geographyfieldwork.com/ButlerModel.htm We are in stage 3.

A
A
Originally Posted by SimonB
"I also hate to see the Miami-ization/Cancun-ization of any previously unspoiled destination."

Unfortunately it's a fact of life. http://geographyfieldwork.com/ButlerModel.htm We are in stage 3.

SimonB - Excellent reference!

The problem was those damn British, French, Spanish and Portuguese explorers 500 years ago. They should have kept the secret to themselves and burned their ships!

A
A
I forgot to include the Dutch as well in the blame list!

We should also compliment the Vikings for keeping the secret of the new world.

Last edited by AJ Baxter; 07/30/15 02:49 PM. Reason: New thought
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.