Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The San Pedro Police Department will now be enforcing the law against public drinking. The warning was issued on Monday, August 3rd by the Commanding Officer of the Eastern Division South, Senior Superintendent Chester Williams. Since San Pedro Town and Caye Caulker Village form the Coastal Executive Unit, a precinct of the Eastern Division South, the warning is also subjected to residents and visitors in this area. By law anyone consuming alcoholic beverages in a public place is committing an offense. The department will also be enforcing the law against loitering and bicycle offenses.

According to the warning release, these measures are being taken after a survey conducted by the Belize Police Department revealed that most of the victims of violent crimes on the streets are persons hanging out either drinking or loitering. In an effort to reduce these occurrences and make the community a safer place, the decision was taken to launch a campaign to discourage persons from publically consuming alcohol beverages and loitering on the streets.

The public drinking regulation does not necessarily mean that persons cannot consume alcoholic beverages in public places, but it needs to be done responsibly and inconspicuously. "Don't expect a major change. What we are trying to get the people used to is that in public places to use foam/plastic containers. While this does not deviate from the crime, at least it will show that you are an abiding citizen by not carrying bottles and cans of alcoholic beverages around. We understand that San Pedro and Caye Caulker are a tourism community, and that's why we are making a slight exception, but at the same time we want to keep the integrity of the law," said Jemmott.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see photos in the San Pedro Sun

R
R
Marty, I think this is a bit of a contradiction:

"most of the victims of violent crimes on the streets are persons hanging out either drinking or loitering."

I think we all get the intended meaning, but I just thought I'd point that out.

and what, exactly,is Marty supposed to do about the words written by others?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
C
C
My family and friends (total of 7 people) spent the month of July in San Pedro town. We drink. No one got "drunk" or disorderly. We walked around with open Beliken's, which when finished were deposited in trash recepticles. We were merely being tourists, and having a very mellow time.
We took a day trip to Caye Caulker, and while walking around the vendors stands I asked a couple of Police patroling the question, " Is it leagle, or OK to walk around with an open beer?" The policeman answered with a controlled and lowered voice "We will allow you to do that". They seemed on edge. Later I found out about the death of the teenager at the hands of the police, and of the local upset with the police.
We were on vacation, away from the hustle bustle of normal life. We were not looking for trouble, or conflict. We felt safe, relaxed, and comfortable. And even though one evening we were stopped at a Police check point (checking for who knows what) we had open bottles with us, the officers checked our ID's, and sent us on our way.
I understand the problems of public drunkeness, rowdy behaviour, and bad outcomes from irresponsible alcohol use. But I don't see painting all who drink with the broad brush of offender, privately, or publicly.
The economy of Ambergris, and Caye Caulker is tourism, tourism is fueled by people getting away from the normal, controlled, uptight rules and regulations they experience daily in their normal life.
We encountered a few "under the influence" natives of the Island, they caused me no fear, no anxiety, I smiled and said "yeah man, we love your Island". They went their way, we went ours.
I, my friends and family had a wonderfull time, we were not at a resort, we were in town. We traveled to the North end, to the South end, we interacted with everyone, locals, and expats. We made memories that will last a lifetime, and I'm sure that will compell some of us to go back.
My point? Hopefuly San Pedro, and Caye Caulker won't go overboard on making people feel like they never left their uptight, over protective, over regulated, controlled, police state back home. We can get that in Santa Monica, or Myrtle Beach.

CBXBob ...so glad you enjoyed your stay here. Come back soon!

R
R
To KLCMan

Did someone p*ss in your Cherrios this morning?
I was pointing out a contradiction, not assigning blame to Marty.......
Chill out.

(Your "Caveman" status is becoming more obvious)

Last edited by RobertJ; 08/08/15 11:24 AM.
Yes, but when they use foam/plastic containers they should be less likely to become victims according to the interpretation as written. Or, if the intended meaning was those who cause people to become victims will be less likely to do so once they use foam/plastic containers. And it will show you are "an abiding citizen". That will make it easier for the police to identify the criminals who I guess they think will not be using foam/plastic containers. confused
I think the grammar and the logic are equally questionable. Rather the grammar is questionable and the logic is stupid.

Well, I have been enlightened by someone wiser than me, at least on this subject.
There is a logic that the glass beer bottles can be a danger. That being they can be thrown, broken or even used as a weapon.
I now realize that if I were to be assaulted and hit in the head, better to be by a foam cup than a beer bottle.

D
D
In reading the information in the San Pedro Sun..I do not see how this new "rule" will help curb crime or litter. Bottles are reused, bottle deposits are paid, etc..plastic and foam cups end up blowing around the streets and into the ocean! There are more plastic cups littering than bottles now..imagine how much worse it could get! Try putting some trash containers around for the tourists to use. There are so few now and always full! Plastic & foam is killing our only earth!
Intoxication can start at home and brought out into public..Or a plastic cup full of rum has much more alcohol than a beer.
The late night clubs are a big problem..loud music until 4 am, lots of very intoxicated people out very late..trouble all around..try shutting them down at 12:00..you will see a HUGE improvement in crime (and probably litter!).
If a person assaults someone, disturbs the peace, commits a crime..they should be arrested and fined...
That has been the law..ENFORCE IT! ..start there!
This sounds like a new way of getting money out of the tourists walking around with a beer in their hand!
Don't drive the tourists away..if will effect everyone's paycheck!

Lock up the real criminals!

Given the reality that when you leave a bar with a mixed drink you ask for a "go cup". I can see the logic in doing the same for a beer after having been pointed out to me the dangers of a beer bottle in the hands of someone intoxicated or with criminal intent.
Granted there is a problem with litter. But broken glass is just as much a problem as plastic and foam containers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.