Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
"I'm just a beach person," says Debbie Cooper, 63.

With that attitude, it's no wonder that she and her husband, Bruce, 66, have called the tiny Caribbean isle of Caye Caulker 12 miles off the coast of Belize home for the past 13 years.

There are no cars on the island, and it receives a fraction of the tourists that Ambergris Caye, 11 miles to the north, does. Homes and restaurants on the beach face an impossibly blue sea framed by windswept palms. Lobster is a specialty when it's in season.

There are a few stores with clothing, household goods, souvenirs, and groceries. Docks at regular intervals provide places for fishing and sunbathing. Access to the mainland or Ambergris is by water taxi or small prop plane.

There's plenty of time to take it easy. A favorite hangout is the beach and the famous Split, a narrow channel at the north end of the island popular for swimming and just floating while enjoying a beverage. The infamous Lazy Lizard bar and grill provides food and drink-and tropical rhythms via prominent speakers that carry the sound far and wide.

"I was in Las Vegas for a trip once, and when you come back to something like this you realize how special it is," says Debbie. "It's slow. Nothing happens fast."

The couple does stay busy, however. Debbie has an art gallery on the main street in town-you can't miss it, it's a small island.

A hairdresser and photographer back in Montana, Debbie picked up the brush for the first time after being inspired during one of their frequent visits to the caye to scout it as a place to live.

"Bruce said, 'You need to figure out a way to make a living down here.' So I started painting in Montana and sending art down here to sell," explains Debbie. "We started selling art before we moved to see if it would sell, and we could make money."
Her pieces took off and currently Debbie sells mostly her own work in her gallery, along with work from other artists. Hers are colorful works inspired by the animals, culture, people, and landscapes of her adopted country, as well as scenes from her time living in Hawaii. Her main market is the tourists who stroll by her shop on the way to dinner or a snorkeling excursion.

Tourists from a dozen-plus nationalities can be found here most days-as Caye Caulker is a popular destination. This is Debbie's customer base.

All in all, the couple has seen a lot of changes over the years. When they first arrived 13 years ago. There were only 500 people on the island. Now there are 2,000.

"It's still small enough that everybody knows everybody," says Debbie.

International Living

J
J
No cars...just the Police speeding up and down the street on their new (toys) vehicles. Going nowhere in particular....just speeding around kicking up dust.

Caye Caulker is a very special place. After spending just one afternoon there, we made the decision to retire there also........a couple more years to go!

P
P
im releasing all my worldly possessions no home no car and no worries i want to move full time to caye caulker i need to live on 1700.00 which is my SS check. i require little in the way of food and other necessities. i just want to live close to the water and cont to write my memoir.. beauty and serenity,low rent cost with caring people all around me

could any of you help me i have just begun this adventure i need help finding a place to rent for 6 months while i look for a perm home. give me an email or a # thanks in advance to whoever helps phil

Last edited by playfulbrother2; 08/15/15 02:55 PM. Reason: add print
N
N
I am basically in the same boat. On October 31st I fly to Belize and will be living on Caye Caulker for 6 months. I was fortunate enough to locate a small 1 bedroom house for US$500/month (water & electric included). If you go to Facebook and search for CAYE CAULKER RENTALS, you will eventually find a place to rent in your price range.

During the past 14 months, I have visited the island twice for a total of 5� weeks. Falling in love with the island and the people was enough to make me want to live there. If I still feel the same way after 6 months, 'Why the hell would I want to leave?'

Last edited by neiljoba; 08/16/15 01:21 PM.
P
P
i hear you i would love to stay in personel touch with you thru our email sound to me you are way ahead of me but we seem to have the same idea and goal would you be willing to help and make a new friend. i will be living my life out in Belize '

REV phil cell 2818414337 [email protected]

P
P
where did you go im a little concerned you ok phil

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day