Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#506721 08/16/15 03:51 PM
H
Heidi A Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Over the past several months I have read a few "bits and pieces" about the Sargasso problem in Belize. I haven't seen anything recently, is it gone? Is the Sargasso problem an annual or seasonal event? Or, is it a "perfect storm" situation, only occurring when conditions are perfect? If the Sargasso is still a problem, how long is it expected to last? Is there any way of dealing with it on a daily basis, or long term? I read about collecting it and burying it, to build up the beach, but some of the pictures looked overwhelming. How much of Ambergris was affected? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Drink in my hand, toes in the sand..
This is the best response I've seen by pretty much anyone about this and I've lifted it from 'MalibuStace', the author I believe. So all credit due to her. I hope this helps.

"That is a difficult question as the influx of Sargassum is somewhat unpredictable, several days can be beautifully clear while others prove to be a challenge.

One only has to Google "Sargassum Seaweed" to learn that it affects not only Belize, but also the US coastlines of Florida and Texas as well as Mexico, Central America and most of the Caribbean.

Sargasso, widely touted as a sort of "floating rainforest" due to its ability to protect and preserve juvenile aquatic species amongst other benefits, comes from the Sargasso Sea, located in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Ideally, currents and water temperatures keep the Sargasso at sea. However this year, some speculate due to environmental factors, Sargassum Seaweed has been inundating the very coastlines tourists flock to throughout the season. There is a good article posted today on Ambergriscaye.com about the Sargassum.

Environmental benefits aside, the detrimental impact of the Sargassum is indisputable. Communities dependent on and delicately balanced upon seasonal tourism continue to struggle with the logistical and financial burden the Sargassum presents while striving to provide tourists with the best vacation experience possible.

Q. Is there anywhere you can stay on Ambergris to avoid the Sargassum Seaweed in its entirety?

A. Probably not.

Q. Will you encounter Sargassum at some point during your stay and will it, like all seaweed, have that "seaweed smell?"

A. Yes, you will. Yes, it will.

Q. Would you be experiencing the same issue if you chose to visit Cancun or Jamaica instead?

A. Yes, in all probability it seems you would.

That being said, it seems like you have done your research. Knowing where you are going and what to expect goes a long way in having an enjoyable vacation experience. Having a positive attitude, which it seems you are also on track with, will get you the rest of the distance.

Despite the fact all efforts have seemed futile on some days; resorts continue to do their best for visitors to Belize and will continue to strive to keep their beaches clear by committing extra resources including manual labour, heavy machinery and daily inventions to varying degrees of success. Please know that we genuinely want you to enjoy your experience in Belize and the Sargassum frustrates us as well.

Q. So where is a good place to avoid the Sargassum?

A. Anywhere you are not downwind of a pile of brown Sargassum (the fresh green stuff doesn't really smell). That could be by a pool, at a beach bar, on the end of a dock or even on the beach."

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

R
R
As counterproductive as this reply may sound, I have to say that Isla Mujeres has no Sargassum at all .... it's off the coast.
Along with that info, comes the fact that the place is a whole different vibe than Belize.

Research.

NJG Offline
MEXICO CITY, Mexico, Tuesday August 4, 2015 - Authorities on Mexico's Caribbean coast are working to remove tons of sargassum seaweed from 112 miles (180 kilometres) of beaches that have been inundated with the vine-like algae in recent months.

Fox News reports that the seaweed clean-up will cover Holbox in the north through Canc�n, Isla Mujeres, Playa de Carmen, Cozumel, Akumal, Tulum and as far south as Mahahual.

The Environment Department said last week that the government is setting up air and sea monitoring of sargassum mats "to prevent them from reaching the coast," although no details were given of how this was to be accomplished.

Read more: http://www.caribbean360.com/news/sa...rd-levels-in-the-caribbean#ixzz3j6eTdbz8

R
R
Well, with all due respect, I have to say that (once again) Fox News is wrong, this time about sargassum on Isla Mujeres; there is none. I know this from recent personal experience. It's location about 5 miles off the coast makes this a reality.

But I do need to re-emphasize the fact that the vibe there is a few points down from Belize (IMHO).

The most used beaches on Isla Mujeres are ones the west side, facing the mainland. On the Atlantic side there is lots of Sargasso just like everywhere else in the region.

Live and let live
R
R
That could very well be the case. The Caribbean side, however, is rough and rocky and not a "beach" area.......there has also been a lot of erosion along the eastern side, and, frankly, can be dangerous.
Playa Norte, on the north end, and, as pointed out, the beaches on the west side are sargassum-free.

DC: Just trying to clarify.

Last edited by RobertJ; 08/19/15 10:19 AM.
D
D
Geez...talk about splitting hairs.

DC

Last edited by Decompression; 08/19/15 09:26 AM.
No; just a good opportunity to bash Fox news... Too bad Fox was correct. It was a petty jab anyway.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
Look a little deeper and you will find that the source was not Fox. They were merely linking and re-posting a story that originated with a Canadian newspaper in mid-July smile How's that for hairsplitting grin

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.