Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
You do not need to apply for a work permit unless you intend to work.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

collyk #507252 09/07/15 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by collyk
You do not need to apply for a work permit unless you intend to work.

Okay so just so I'm clear:

For the first six months, you can have a regular visa which you must renew every 30 days.
After that initial six months, you have to apply for a work visa (the cost of which varies, depending on what you'll be doing), or you have to return home.

Or... can you simply stay on a regular visa for a year?

I really really want to find volunteer work for multiple reasons. I know I need a work permit for that and from what I've read, it costs $25 US.

Thank you for clarifying. It's hard to put a lot of pieces together from so many different websites/articles/books/fliers all over the place. It's like a giant puzzle!

-Cristina

Take only what you need; return more than you take.
Work permits have variable rates depending on what type of volunteer work you want to do often way more than 25US

R
R
You don't need to apply for a work permit unless you are going to work or volunteer. Average cost is 2000.00. Yup! Otherwise you can stay on indefinate visa renewals every 30 days. However after 6 mos, visa renewal costs 100.00bz per month.

Okay so I can see where I could leave the country after six months and then return (within 14 days) and then get another six-month renewable visa which would allow me to apply for residency.

But this site: //ambergriscaye.com/economics/entryreq.html says:

"Work Permit Fees are now as follows: Professional and technical workers: $750; general workers: $100; seasonal agricultural workers: $25 per crop; entertainers in groups of two to five: $250 each; individual entertainers: $150; missionaries, educational and volunteer individuals: $25. Barring exceptional circumstances, work permits will not be granted for waiters, vendors, domestic workers, and farm hands."

I'm very interested in doing some kind of teaching volunteer work, particularly in the southern portion of Belize, but I do have some experience in medical training as well, if necessary. Still, as a writer/journalist, I would much prefer to teach. I also have a son with autism and love working with "special needs" children.

If this paragraph (above) is correct, then I could pay $25 for the volunteer fee. I don't really know what they mean by the last sentence lol

S
S
You can't get a six month visa. Those prices are out of date. The last sentence means exactly what it says, you will not, as an American, be given a work permit for any of those positions. After becoming a resident you could work in one of those positions however not many would offer you one of those positions.

You can offer your services as a volunteer but the organization must apply for you. You cannot apply for a volunteer permit yourself and then go out and volunteer. The organization must show a clear need and show that you are not taking paying work away from a Belizean.

SimonB #507261 09/07/15 02:19 PM
Okay thank you Simon smile

R
R
R22 is correct I believe the cost was 2,000bz and it was good for 12 months. The info on visas sounds correct also.

This coming winter when I return I'll also have the experience of getting my PR stamped into a new passport. That I thought would be easy but now I'll hearing that there is a certain "protocol" I'll have to go through and it isn't a matter of going to Belmopan one day and coming back with the stamped passport. I can hardly wait. wink

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Different work permits have different costs. If you live on Ambergris Caye, in addition to the costs of the permit itself, don't forget to factor in additional costs including traveling back and forth to Belmopan, which can add up, not to mention the time involved. So do make sure you budget for those extras.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Oh my goodness a different posting than usual.......NOT.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.