Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

CONCACAF officials inspect Ambergris Stadium

The state-of-the-art design of the Ambergris Stadium will no doubt transform the professionalism of sports on the island. With the stadium in its final stage of completion, the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) official Development Officer Rodrigo Kenton, along with Football Federation of Belize Technical Director Renan Cowo, led an inspection of the multi-purpose stadium on Friday, August 27th. Guiding the officials were the San Pedro Town's Council's Mayor Daniel Guerrero, Councilor in Charge of Sports Hector Alamilla, Property Tax Clerk Wilbert Magana, and Sports Coordinator Kent Bob Gabrouel.

The purpose of the inspection was for the officials to examine the sporting complex, and see if they could help with further recommendations to assist development of football, not only on the island, but throughout the country. After evaluating around and inside the stadium, officials gave their feedback.

Although Kenton only visits two to three times per year in Belize, he is very pleased with the growth of San Pedro's stadium. "I know football in Belize will make a big jump, and I'm positively impressed with the stadium. Now, we also have hope that FIFA will hire an official that will participate in all sporting events," said Kenton.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Ambergris Stadium nears completion

The Ambergris Stadium has been in construction for more than a year, and is now undergoing its finishing touches. Belize Infrastructure Limited (BIL) General Manager Christy Mastry has confirmed to The San Pedro Sun that the stadium should be completed either by the end of November or the first week of December. Highly anticipated by sporting enthusiasts, the renowned stadium is expected to transform sports professionalism on the island.

Initially, Mastry told The San Pedro Sun in her last interview that the inauguration ceremony of the stadium was set to take place in September 2016. However, due to certain setbacks pertaining to the installation of lighting, the completion date has changed. "We are looking at the end of November or early December. It is always hard to predict a certain date, especially when we are dependent on utility companies and other issues. However, this is our final target goal. The stadium is nearing its final completion," explained Mastry.

At the moment, the civil workers are placing roofs onto the VIP lounge, installing glass windows and finishing both locker and restroom facilities. In addition, Mastry stated that the parking lot area, and sidewalk is being cast and should be completed by next week.

Since the start of rainy season, many individuals have asked whether or not the synthetic turf could sustain inclement weather condition. Mastry reiterates that the stadium's turf does not have any issues retaining water. According to her, the synthetic turf has lasting effects compared to natural grass. "The turf is built to take rain, and it's built to sustain water. The drainage system we have in place is to assure that we don't flood. If it was natural grass, water puddles would have soaked the field and prevented players from using it," said Mastry.

According to Alamilla, the inauguration ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, November 26th, and the San Pedro Sports Committee (SPSC) is preparing for that special day. "The SPSC has organized three games, one being a Corozal Under 13 team to go against our Under 13 teams. Then, the San Pedro Veterans will be playing against Chetumal Veterans. Our stellar game will be our own San Pedro Football Club playing against a team all the way from Austin, Texas, USA, Real Chutemoc F.C. This team is also sponsored by Univision, a popular Spanish language broadcast television network stationed in the United States, who will be also traveling with them," said Alamilla.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Inauguration of Ambergris Stadium

The San Pedro Town Council, Minisitry of Tourism & Civil Aviation and the San Pedro Sports Committee are excited to announce the official inauguration of the newly constructed Ambergris Stadium on November 26, 2016. After the Inaugural ceremony there will be two matches for everyone to enjoy! Come witness the matches between San Pedro's teams versus the teams from Mexico and USA! Tickets are on sale at the San Pedro Town Council for only $10.

Entertainment by Yaka's Elite Dancers in collaboration with the San Pedro Dance Academy and music by San Pedro's very own, Rompe Raja!

J
J
The football stadium is a great thing for our island, but.......A real concerning issue for me is that no one seems to be placing healthcare as a #1 issue, all this money is being placed on entertainment, but yet we still have no medical transport? We place an injured ( as seen recently in the newspaper) or sick person in the back of a pickup or in a golf cart! This is unbelievable, that money is spent for this stadium, when we still have no proper medical transport- I'm wondering if someone knows what happened to the ambulances that were donated to the island? And we need not just drivers, but someone at the very least, should have proper first aid knowledge to be the transporter. Come on people, Belize encourages retirees to live here, but medical seems to be ignored- What can we do? Any suggestions? ( please no humor, or negative responses) this is a very serious problem

K
K
what happened to the emergency transport tuk tuks Dubai donated to the poly clinic?

I don't think this is an either-or thing Jameela ...... we have social issues to deal with and these social issues dramatically affect quality of life on the island for EVERYONE. Our youth need something to do that is healthy and stimulating. This stadium not only gives our young men and women a place to learn athletics and fair play, it gives families and others wholesome island-based entertainment. These things cannot be underestimated in their benefits to the community.

J
J
We'll agree to disagree, enough said!

R
R
Jameela you are correct with your concern about health care on the Island but Diane said very well what is another concern for the citizens of the Island and also has a very high priority. This and many other concerns on the Island and country compete for scarce dollars.

If you are a retiree like I am you are certainly warranted in your concerns. We have had several unfortunate incidents over the years which maybe would not have happened back in the States but we are not back in the States and Belize, a country of 350k population, will probably never have health care like I'm used to back home.

We have had many discussions on this subject over the years usually after a bad incident. Several years ago the town bought a piece of land and ear marked it for a hospital. Nothing has happened since to my knowledge and I won't hold my breath. Medical transportation of course is important and I did see the Ambulance a few times but not in quite a while. They can hardly keep their police vehicles in service so the ambulance probably met a similar fate. I will say that things in medical care have gotten somewhat better in the last 10 years or so but at a dreadfully slow pace. It was quite a blow when the UK closed their base in Belize because they used to do med flights to Belize City. But even with that to get from the Island to a hospital in Belize City takes a lot of time at a time when you may not have time. Tropic Air does it now, I think, but again a lot of time is involved. The Clinic is doing a pretty good job and they have amazed me a few times in some of their accomplishments.

It is a trade off I guess for those retirees living down here and each of us depending on our circumstances (health) has to make that decision.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
J
J
Thank you Ragman for your informative & respectful response- much appreciated smile

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The Inaugural Ceremony for the Ambergris Stadium has been postponed until further notice; however, since the teams are already here, the scheduled games will continue as planned. Don't miss out on these games!

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 337 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.