Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50733 03/04/02 04:12 AM
F
OP Offline
F
i have read the fishing information pages on this website and have found them incredibly helpful. answered 98% of my questions.
ok, here is the last 2% worth:

1. stage of the moon- what is the preferred time to fish in relation to the moon for the flats or reef fishing. i am considering coming late april or early may, trying to schedule with a favorable moon.
2. i assume incoming tide is best for the flats fishing, and good until 2 hours past high tide, is this true for this area ?
3. with a cast net, would there be opportunities to catch some sardines off the beach or docks ? or are the schools closer to the reef ?
4. do you see squid at night near the docks ?
5. i read there is a tackle shop near the airport, what is the name and telephone number ?

#50734 03/04/02 09:23 AM
To try and help with some of your questions: The moon does not have much effect on the flats fishing. For reef bottom fishing the full moon in April and May is when the mutton snapper are spawning and can be caught in large numbers around the full moon. Other reef fishing is usually better around the new moon, but I would not use that as a criteria for planing my trip as the fishing can be good most anytime as there are sufficient species so something is usually bitting. Sardines can be caught along the beach with a cast net. You might find squid at night off of the piers, but not as easy as getting sardines. You are correct on the tides as to when to fish the flats. Fin and Feather is the tackle shop near the airport. You also mentioned in another post that you were going to the mainland. You might want to look at Maruba Jungle Spa where your wife can be pampered with treatments and you also have the ability to fish for tarpon, snook, and the Belizean version of Peacock Bass in the Northern River which is close to the resort. Hope this is of some help.

#50735 03/04/02 08:13 PM
E
EP Offline
E
If you would like to, please send me an email at [email protected] and I'd be happy to answer your questions. Thanks - Ali

#50736 03/09/02 02:20 PM
F
OP Offline
F
hi bywarren,

thank you for the information.
have you done much reef fishing around ac,
is it productive or been fished out ?

did you ever try on the outside for blackfin tuna or albacore, i read there are large schools, but i never see reports about people catching them.

thanks
jack

#50737 03/09/02 03:02 PM
Jack, I have been fishing Belize for 33 years so I have done most of what there is to do. You can pretty much be assured of catching little tunny and black fin tuna outside the reef. There are normally schools of them at most times. You could catch the occasional skip jack although yellow fin would be rare as they are normally further out than where most of the fishing is done. Fishing is not "fished out" and I think you will be pleased with the results. Let me know if I can be of any further help. Good luck.
PS: when are you going? If you want to give me your e-mail I will let you know how to reach me in Belize.

[This message has been edited by bywarren (edited 03-09-2002).]

#50738 03/09/02 08:24 PM
F
OP Offline
F
bywarren,

i guess with 30+ years under your belt, it qualifies you as a "local" or "expert" on this matter.

planning a trip for end of april or beginning of may, not sure yet, as my wife worked for fuji bank in the world trade center, and since 9/11 things have been very hectic at her (temp) office, in addition the bank is merging the end of march, so that is why we are not sure of the exact dates yet.

my email address is [email protected]

your assistance and guidence in this matter is greatly appreciated.
thank you
jack

#50739 03/10/02 08:06 AM
P
ps Offline
P
Planning a first time trip to AC in July. Does anyone know of any experienced fly fishing guides who can be booked directly. If so, how can they be contacted?

#50740 03/10/02 02:44 PM
S
S
Some time ago someone posted that fishing off one side of the dock was legal. Someone else said fishing off a dock was illegal.

What it it? Thanks.

Bob

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.