FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Fun in the sun...
beach party at Central Park celebrating St. George's Cage Day...

New schools to be constructed in Caye Caulker and San Pedro thanks to CDB loan agreement
The recently approved second phase of the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) loan agreement is to greatly improve the education system of Belize, as it is expected to provide financing for 35 institutions. The loan agreement, which was approved on Wednesday, September 2nd, is for $35US million, with Caye Caulker Village and San Pedro Town being among the municipalities to benefit. The project will encompass the development of 22 schools at the pre-primary level, five at the primary level and eight at the secondary level. According to Minister of Education, Youth and Sports, Honorable Patrick Faber, the Government of Belize will be improving the education system in areas that have had a significant growth in population. "The project is expected to entail a total of 148 classrooms and laboratories, and of course furniture and equipment for these schools. We estimate that 5,338 students at the pre-primary level (kinder garden and pre-school), 1,400 students the primary level and about 2,500 students at the secondary level will be benefitting," said Faber.

Celebrating St. George's Caye Day
The 10th of September in Belize commemorates the celebration of the Battle of St. George's Caye Day. Observed as a Public and Bank Holiday in Belize, St. George's Caye Day is a day to pay dues to the Baymen that defended St. George's Caye in 1798. The battle took place from the 3rd to the 10th of September as the Spaniards attempted to expel the local settlers, our Baymen, from the tiny caye off the coast of British Honduras (today, Belize). Alongside slaves, the Baymen defended their territory from Spain's claim. The residents defended the land and successfully blocked every attempt of the Spanish ships to penetrate the territory.

San Pedro celebrates the Battle St. George's Caye Day
Islanders proudly celebrated the Battle of St. GEORGE'S Cage on the 10th of September!

Police encourage everyone to be safe during September Celebrations
The Belize Police Department, Eastern Division advises the public to be mindful of the laws and regulations of Belize in order to have a safe September celebration. While September is a festive month, it is also known to bring about an increase of petty crime. In order to prevent such incidents from occurring, everyone is asked to be law abiding citizens by respecting officers on duty, public and private property and others in general. As part of the Eastern Division, San Pedro and Caye Caulker Police takes the opportunity to remind all citizens that public drinking is against the law under section 44:01 (2) of the Intoxicating Liquor Licensing Act. Persons found consuming alcoholic beverages in public with be arrested and charged as the warning period has come to an end. Persons wishing to remain within the confines of the law are asked that if alcohol is being consumed, to do so out of a plastic, paper or Styrofoam containers. Alcohol being consumed in public places out of any bottle, glass or metal receptacle would be in violation of the Public Drinking Law and will result in immediate prosecution.

Jaguars World Cup journey ends after losing to Canada
The two leg series kicked off at the BMO Field in Toronto, Canada on Friday, September 4th with 10,412 fans in attendance. This game was incredibly difficult for the Jaguars, as both their defense and offense was off. Canada's control of the ball paid off in the 25th minute when forward Toisant Ricketts scored the first goal after Belize's star keeper Woodrow West blocked two attempts. Throughout the remaining first half, Canada continue to dominate the game with several failed goal attempts. Canada's lead doubled in the 65th minute when Ricketts once again scored against West. But Canada was not satisfied with the two point lead and was quickly back on the offensive, searching for a third goal opportunity. That goal came in the 90th minute by Atiba Hutchinson. Overall Canada had 25 shooting opportunities, enjoying 76% of possession of the ball, while Belize had no shooting opportunities.

Ambergris Today

Kraft Heinz Foods Company Recalls Wrapped American Cheese Slices Due to Possible Choking Hazard
The Belize Agricultural Health Authority (BAHA), the Ministry of Health and the Belize Bureau of Standards hereby advises the general public that the Kraft Heinz Foods Company of the United States of America has issued a voluntary recall on select code dates and manufacturing codes of individually-wrapped American Cheese slices due to the possibility that a thin strip of the individual packaging film may remain adhered to the slice after the wrapper has been removed. If the film sticks to the slice and is not removed, it could potentially cause a choking hazard.

Miss San Pedro Coronation Kicks of September 10th Celebrations
In a short ceremony to kick off the celebrations of September 10th/Battle of St. George's Caye Day, San Pedro Mayor Daniel Guerrero addressed the large gathering of island students at the Hon. Louis Sylvestre Sports Complex highlighting the importance of such a significant date in the history of Belize and why we all celebrate it with the observance of a national holiday. Outgoing Miss San Pedro 2014, Michelle Nu�ez, handed over Iris Salguero her scepter, cape, sash and crown bestowing onto her the responsibilities of the new Miss San Pedro 2015. What followed was a jovial Uniform Parade through the streets of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, as island students waved their Belizean flags with pride and honor. The parade concluded at Central Park where afternoon of beach activities kept everyone in a happy and celebratory mood. The island students were happy with the announcement of another full day off from classes on Friday, September 11.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Urban Bird Watch 2015
The Belize Audubon Society is doing their yearly Urban Bird Watch. Cayo's will be on October 10th, and will start at Columbus Park in front of the police station. Belmopan's will be on the 11th, and will start at the bus terminal.

Caye Caulker Ocean Academy PE: Athletic Bootcamp with fitness guru Keith Welsh
The push-up workout in this photo was after a long run!

Gloria Humes Eiley passes away
The angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God. ~Quoted in The Angels' Little Instruction Book by Eileen Elias Freeman, 1994 We regret to announce the passing of our loved one Gloria Humes Eiley of College Road, Corozal Town. The Corozal Daily extends its sincere sympathies and condolences to the entire Humes and Eiley families on the passing of their beloved one. May she rest in peace and rise in Glory. Wake and funeral arrangements will be announced later.

CTV3

Corozal Police Continues To Investigate American National Murder
Forty six year old John Ross, a retired American National, who relocated to Belize some six years ago was found dead on his farm located on the outskirts of Xaibe Village in Corozal on Tuesday morning, by a group of men who wanted to buy some sheep. Ross was found lying face up near a septic tank and was seen with multiple chop wounds to the neck, face and his right arm was missing. Investigations into the homicide led to the detention of three persons including Ross' 23 year old son and his watchman. But those individuals are no longer in police custody as they were released today because according to our sources, their story checked out. We do understand though, that police are looking for two other persons who are from the Xaibe area and can provide information into the death of Ross. One of the individuals we are told is no longer in the Corozal District.

Poly Clinic To Be Extended In Corozal
The N.H.I or the National Health Insurance commenced as a pilot project in 2001 with two broad functions being collecting the financial contribution and spending the resulting fund on health care. Since then Toledo, Belize and Corozal have been integrated within this N.H.I. system. In February of this year, the Corozal polyclinic was inaugurated but the demand for medical assistance has grown so much since the establishment of the new Polyclinic that today a contract to finalize an extension to the Corozal Polyclinic was signed. Present at the signing were Minister of Health Pablo Marin and C.E.O Chief Executive Officer, Doctor Peter Allen. The polyclinic extension will measure 2,200 square feet after its completion in six months. The contractor for this project is Leo Castillo. A suggestion box has also been incorporated at the facility.

New Bus Route Implemented In Orange Walk Town
Today, a new designated bus route was issued by the Municipal Transport Board for all buses that transit Orange Walk Town. A release states that the route for buses coming from Belize City enroute to Corozal is as follows: Buses transiting the Belize/Corozal Road will now turn left into San Antonio Road and Right into Dunn St to the National Bus Terminal. When coming out of the Terminal, buses will take a right into Dunn St, then Left into San Antonio Road and Left into Queen Victoria Avenue. Buses coming from the Santa Elena Border/Corozal, enroute to Belize City, are asked to take the Otro Benque Road into Queen Victoria Avenue then take a right into San Antonio Road and a right into Dunn Street and into the National Bus Terminal. For buses coming out of the Terminal, drivers are asked to take a right into Dunn St, and then Left into San Antonio Road and right into Belize/Corozal Road. The board says that buses will only STOP to pick up and drop off Passengers on designated bus stops and at the National Bus Terminal. This new bus route shall come into effect on September 11th, 2015 and is designed to assist in better flow of traffic and better control of all public service vehicles transiting the town.

BAHA Eradicates The Avian Influenza Virus
Belize is the only country in the region to have successfully eradicated the avian influenza virus reports the Belize Agriculture and Health Authority, BAHA. In a release today BAHA informs that quarantine and other control measures implemented in the Cayo District following the detection of low pathogenic avian influenza H5N2 in January 2015 have been lifted. The area is declared free of avian influenza after three months of work that has cost the government and the poultry industry over six million dollars.

CSCPA To Receive Fair Trade Premium
In yesterday's newscast we told you that the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association will be receiving the premiums on ten thousand tons of sugar sold under Fairtrade. All that money will go directly to the BSCFA membership in four payments. But there are three associations now. Last night the Progressive Sugar Cane Producers Association made it known that they too will receive Fair Trade Premiums even though it won't be from the ten thousand tons of sugar quota sold under Fair Trade. So where does this leave the Corozal Sugar Cane Producers Association. Well, according to the association's chairman, Elvis Canul, their members will also benefit from Fair Trade premiums. "As you can see this is the evidence that our organization that has been approved as being part of FLOCERT which we have passed the initial audit that was done and we are entitled to premiums for this last crop that we had 2014/2015. FLOCERT is the body appointed by Fair Trade to conduct audit on their behalf and based on their evaluation we get a certification to receive premiums on behalf of our members.

GOB Assist Dominican Republic with Relief Funds
Tropical Storm Erika killed at least 30 people on the tiny Caribbean island of Dominica Republic and dozens more are missing and bodies are believed to remain buried under landslides. With so much assistance needed the Prime Minister of the Caribbean country is asking for international help after the storm caused damage that will cost half the country's annual GDP to repair. Tonight we can tell you that Belize is included in the list of countries that will send relief the country. Today the Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced that the relief will come in the form of $125,000. The decision to assist was made after the Prime Minister of Dominica, Honorable Roosevelt Skerrit wrote to Government appealing for emergency assistance.

The Reporter

Official St. George's Caye Day ceremony held
Many Belizeans gathered at the Fort George Memorial Park Thursday morning, for the official ceremony commemorating the 217 anniversary of the Battle of St. Georges Caye. Top ranking officials, including Governor General Sir Colville Young, Minister of Tourism Manuel Heredia and Darrell Bradley attended the festivities. The event was complete with an address from the Minister of Tourism, and the coronation of the Queen of the Bay 2015, Fallon Tiana Cain. Cain is 70th winner of the pageant, and is the eighth Queen of the Bay to hail from the Stann Creek District. The festivities will conclude with the annual parade around the city. The day, a keystone in Belizean tradition, is celebrated under this year's theme: "Belize renewed: confident, competitive, committed."

GOB sends disaster relief funds for Dominica
The Government of Belize, this week, responded to a request for aid from the Government of Dominica by sending funds to help with their disaster relief efforts in the wake of Tropical Storm Erika. GOB, responding to the letter sent on August 31 by Prime [�]

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Placencia businessman shot to the head in bizarre accident
A shooting incident in Placencia Village earlier today has claimed the life of businessman Vance Cabral, a resident of the village, who police say was socializing and consuming alcohol at Robert's Grove Resort, when around 3:30 p.m. this afternoon, something went terribly wrong and he was allegedly accidentally shot to [�]

Jimmy Morales says "loss" of Belize would be "deplorable"
He leads the race to become Guatemala's next president, but comic actor Jimmy Morales is not joking about making Belize part of Guatemala. The 46 year old who campaigned under the slogan "neither corrupt, nor a thief" goes to round two on October 25 against Sandra Torres Casanova, wife of former President Alvaro [�]

Queen Elizabeth II becomes longest-reigning British monarch
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, 89, also Queen of Belize and 15 other Commonwealth realms, passed her great-grandmother Queen Victoria on Wednesday to become the UK's longest-reigning monarch at sixty-three years, seven months and a day. According to the BBC, the Queen has thanked well-wishers at home and overseas for their "touching messages [�]

Man shot to the head in Placencia
Unconfirmed reports coming out from Placencia is that a man was fatally shot to the head earlier today. Our news correspondent is currently following the unfortunate incident. More information will be posted as the details become available to us.

Why we must never forget September 10
Speakers at today's official ceremony commemorating the 217th anniversary of the Battle of St. George's Caye in Belize City told the audience that the patriotic story of the Settlement's liberation from the invasion of Spain should never be forgotten. According to Belize City Mayor Darrell Bradley, this and every year is a "renewal of vows", a commitment not only to remember the Baymen and their sacrifice but also to commit to living lives worthy of that sacrifice. According to Belize City Mayor Darrell Bradley, this and every year is a "renewal of vows", a commitment not only to remember the Baymen and their sacrifice but also to commit to living lives worthy of that sacrifice. Tourism Minister Manuel Heredia who also chairs the September Celebrations Committee, added that history did not end with the 1797 vote as the Baymen and their slaves, prepared for war with a lack of provisions; nor with victory as the new nation began to take shape.

Blogs

Where to Eat on the Beautiful Island of Caye Caulker Belize
Caye Caulker, a small island off the north-central coast of Belize, has a wonderfully quaint atmosphere with that tiny village vibe. If you're looking for a quiet, laid back island experience, I highly recommend it as an ideal home base for your next holiday. Caye Caulker, Belize is also one of my favorite snorkeling destinations. On a recent trip, My husband and I, had the opportunity to try many of the island's eclectic restaurants. Some were quite memorable and many were great bargains.

Southwest Airlines' Houston-to-Belize City Route is Ready for Takeoff
It's always a grand occasion when an airline carrier decides a route is so profitable, it would be foolish not to expand into that market-which is exactly what U.S. carrier Southwest Airlines is doing in a matter of weeks when direct flights to Belize will become as commonplace as green season showers. This airline knows a thing or two about how to service a new route, so if you live in North America and like to vacation in Belize, these direct flights originating in Houston should get your immediate attention. If you're a thrifty soul, more competition may even encourage special deals from Southwest and competitors. Of course, if you already live in a thriving ex-pat community like Orchid Bay and you return home to see friends, family and the grandkids, having new daily routes available to you could change the number of return trips you take each year, and in case you've talked northern friends into considering a move to Belize, you'll have more ammunition to build your case.

"Sweet Dream" in San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize.
I suppose it could have started and finished last Friday night around 21.20 hours when, in the first minute of additional time, Atiba Hutchinson scored the third goal for Canada. Three nil to Canada in the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification first leg. Rose and I had watched the game - mostly surrounded by passionate - and at times extremely noisy - supporters at Carlo & Ernie's Runway Bar & Grill. Prior to kick-off we felt the hope and anticipation. We believed in the team. We were, therefore, extremely proud when the draw was made around the end of July and we were asked by friends of ours if we wanted to join a group of them to go to Belmopan to watch the second game of the two leg qualifier against Canada. And of course , having been on the last trip to Belmopan to support the Jaguars, we wanted to go. When the third and final goal went in last Friday though I half expected the enthusiasm to make the trip to wane. But no, the belief in the team, the Jaguars, was undiminished. Of course we were still going to make the trip. All of us still wanted to be there to cheer the team, the country on.

San Ignacio here we come
As I was clearing my email inbox this morning after 2 days away enjoying birthday celebrations, I noticed via LinkedIn that San Ignacio Resort Hotel also just had a birthday and is celebrating 39 years in business. The well known resort opened it's doors 1976, and was named after San Ignacio town in Cayo district. I am long past 39, in fact if you do a dyslexic take on the year San Ignacio Hotel started, you will get my birth year, 1967. I recently celebrated my 48th year on the planet. I do not mind aging though and thanks to my mom's good genes, I still am getting guessed in my 30's. Sometimes for fun I tell people I am 50+ :) As part of this years celebrations, I decided to do some traveling and San Ignacio Resort was top of my list because I was given a 2 day 2 person gift certificate from Barb and Joe before they moved back to California. Joe had won the gift certificate at his Tropic Air Christmas party and they were very excited to use it, unfortunately life took an unexpected turn and they had to move before they could.

International Sourcesizz

7 Things to Do on the Northern Cayes of Belize
Belize is a diverse country located in Central America. With half of the country being bordered by the Caribbean Sea, and the other half split between Mexico and Guatemala, it comes as no surprise that there are numerous things to see and do in this tropical nation. A trip to Belize wouldn't be complete without venturing to its two famous northern cayes - Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye. Here are a few of the must see's and must do's on, and around, the islands: On Ambergris Caye, you can swim at the lesser known beach of Tranquility Bay, or the vibrant, lively X'Tan Ha beach. Both of which are gorgeous spots.

St. John members heading to Belize
Nine members of the Evangelical Church of St. John (Missouri Synod), will be on a missionary trip to Belize. Eileen and Gene Ehrhardt, Beth Gehrke, Michele Green, Josh Helgeson, Robert Mallin, Tara Knull, Craig Peterson and Larry Wood will leave Saturday and return on Sept. 19. The group will be doing all kinds of repairing, building and bringing the word of Christ to this very poor country. This will be the second trip by members of the church this year.

How the U.S. is working with Central American nations to fight the MS-13 and 18th Street gangs
In El Salvador, gangs are attacking police and soldiers with brazen new tactics. Since January, 43 members of the police force have been assassinated. In the U.S., transnational gangs have become increasingly evident in drug trafficking, extortion and, in some parts of the country, pimping and prostitution, the FBI says. It is against that backdrop that about 70 law enforcement officials and prosecutors from seven countries gathered Wednesday at the Hall of Justice downtown to swap notes and intelligence in an effort to better combat these increasingly violent and sophisticated groups, especially the notorious Mara Salvatrucha or M-13 and 18th Street gangs. The exchange includes investigators and prosecutors from El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Belize and from around the U.S., including the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and the Los Angeles Police Department.

Rebels propose fresh direction for New World Oil
The saga surrounding the future of New World Oil & Gas (LON:NEW) has taken another twist as rebel investors proposed a team to take it in a different direction. The rebels, represented by lobby group NWOGaction, are backing the nomination of three directors to the board at the company's forthcoming annual meeting. They said one of the candidates, Adam Reynolds, had identified a project and team to take the company into medical technology. Reynolds and the other two candidates, Nick Mustoe and Mark Collingbourne, have been involved in medical companies Optibiotix Health (LON:OPTI) and Premaitha Health (LON:NIPT). The investors have become concerned about the company's future following the falls in the oil price and the turmoil hitting the industry.

Sharks, rays and skates the focus of conservation efforts
After spending the past summer studying sharks, rays and skates, Stony Brook University's Demian Chapman is leading a new conservation effort with Global FinPrint, the first global organization to use underwater video, to create the largest data-collection of reef-associated sharks and rays. Eight shark species have seen a 50 percent decline in their populations in the last decade, according to Jennifer V. Schmidt, an associate professor at University of Illinois at Chicago's Department of Biological Sciences. In an effort to aid conservation efforts, Chapman, along with Mike Heithaus of Florida International University and a team of postdoctoral researchers, studied the populations of sharks, rays and skates in areas with coral reefs. Their research took place in areas such as the Gulf of Mexico, Florida Everglades and Belize. Chapman was the lead principal investigator during the trip. His research mainly concentrated on tracking sharks and other large fish and studying video surveys in order to determine how effective reserves were for the species.

Videos

• Backpacking Guatemala Belize Mexico 2015, 11min. Our travels through Guatemala, Belize and Mexico.

• Miss San Pedro and Pageant Contestants head the Uniform Parade, 10sec. The new Miss San Pedro 2015, Iris Salguero and pageant contestants lead the Uniform Parade of the 10th September, St. George's Caye Day Celebrations on Ambergris Caye.

• Miss San Pedro 2015, Iris Salguero, officially crowned, 15sec. during Belize's 10th September, St. George's Caye Day Celebrations

• San Ignacio Hotel 1994 Royal Visit, 4min. Memories of the 1994 Royal Visit of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip to the San Ignacio Resort Hotel.

• Mission Belize, 4min. Emmanuel Christian School's annual grade 9 mission gives students the opportunity to share their faith and serve others who are in need. The local and the international missions have a lasting impact on our students and on the people they serve. Nos �l�ves de 3e secondaire ont l'opportunit� de partager leur foi et de servir les plus d�munis lors des missions locales et internationales.

• Anglican Family Day, 2.5min. On Sunday, August 09, 2015 the Anglican Diocese held its Anglican Diocesan Family-day at St. Ann's Anglican Church in the city of Belmopan, Belize. It was a day of worship in an outdoor ambience, flavoured with culture, dance, music, games and of course, a theme sermon that was loaded with messages of forgiveness, tolerance and reconciliation. We were under the biggest, coolest tent in Belize and in a crusade-like festive sea of purple, as most of us wore purple T-shirts with the bold words "KEEP CALM AND BE RECONCILED". Our bishop was in his element, as he had exceeded his expectation with an excited crowd of parishioners who immensely enjoyed every moment of the day; from the service to the field sports.

• Three Belize City Hummingbirds, 4min. Short presentation on Belize City's three most common Hummingbirds.

• Carnival overload 2015 Belize, 3.5min.

• Chronixx Live in Belize, 2015 (Highlights), 53min. Chronixx, Kezmandi and Zinc Fence Redemption starts a fiyah in Belize!!! Perhaps the best concert in Belize - eva!!

• Belize Annual 10th of September Parade 2015, 23min. Belize September Celebrations 2015.

• Kes the band @Carnival Overload Belize, 3.5min. Carnival Overload Sept 9 2015.

• Chronixx Live & Dance Hall Freestyle in Belize City, 17min. See Chronixx perform Behind Curtain, Odd Rass, and Warrior... Plus also a freestyle!!!

• Kes the Band performs Wotless at Soca Overload, their first concert in Belize, 8min. Kes the band from Trinidad performing at Soca Overload for Belize Carnival.