Re: About hotels and dive shops in Ambergris #50775
04/17/02 04:55 PM
04/17/02 04:55 PM
Lafayette, LA
J
jellyfish Offline

jellyfish  Offline
J
We were there 10 days. It was only rough one or two days. Any local diving won't be affected much. It's just the 2 1/2 hour boat ride in open water that gets tough. Once at the blue hole the others told me the conditions were fine. It was just getting there. Bottom line...save the long trip to the blue hole for a nice day.

Another point...one of the locals told me that the wind was unusally strong for this time of year. I expect it will be dying down soon. And don't get me wrong - it was a welcome breeze. I think it would be too hot without it.

Re: About hotels and dive shops in Ambergris #50776
04/17/02 06:00 PM
04/17/02 06:00 PM
Seattle, WA USA
T
trina Offline

trina  Offline
T
MY hubby and I went to the Blue Hole last June. Rough seas, I would say 8-10 ft. waves. VEry choppy, lightning, rain! Oy!! The outfit (Aqua Dives) didn't turn back, and some folks were definelty turning green aournd the gills, shall we say. Including my husband, who NEVER gets sick. Nobody actually GOT sick though. The snorkeling itself was awesome! (there was half and half on our boat, divers and snorkelers) REally! I recommend. Incredible fish, coral such as we've never seen, and we've been to Bali and Hawaii as comparison. Just be ready for an adventure.

[This message has been edited by trina (edited 04-17-2002).]

Re: About hotels and dive shops in Ambergris #50777
04/18/02 03:21 PM
04/18/02 03:21 PM
Stamford, CT, USA
D
Denisse Aponte Offline OP

Denisse Aponte  Offline OP
D
I guest it is not so bad after all, thanks Trina, I will make sure I take some Dramamine before I get in the boat.

Thank you everyone for your feedback about diving, dive centers and the boat trip...but, does anyone has anything to say about Ramon's Village?

Caribe
Re: About hotels and dive shops in Ambergris #50778
04/19/02 07:56 AM
04/19/02 07:56 AM
MN
K
KJ Offline

KJ  Offline
K
A trick I heard from Dive Instructors that they do is take Dranamine the night before a dive, then they don't have problems and aren't tired, or hiper (whatever reaction you get from the drug) from the drug.
KJ

Re: About hotels and dive shops in Ambergris #50779
04/19/02 09:07 AM
04/19/02 09:07 AM
Dallas, TX 75230
F
Friend of Teacher Offline

Friend of Teacher  Offline
F
You probably know this, but I was searching for info on AC last night, and I saw that Wild On!, that show on E!, picked Ramon's as THE place to stay in Belize.

Re: About hotels and dive shops in Ambergris #50780
04/19/02 09:25 AM
04/19/02 09:25 AM
Stamford, CT, USA
D

D
GREAT! thank Friend of Teacher...

Caribe
Re: About hotels and dive shops in Ambergris #50781
04/19/02 06:01 PM
04/19/02 06:01 PM
Birdland - 1 mile north
ScubaLdy Offline
ScubaLdy  Offline
You have gotten good feedback. All of this points to the fact that you should not try to "reserve" your diving ahead of time. You need to pick and choose what days you want to dive and where.
I'm surprised to hear so many people reporting "they went anyway." My experience has been just the opposite. Any number of times when a trip was scheduled for the next day, that afternoon/evening it was announced that the boat would not be going the next day due to wind/surf.
When the seas are rough sometime you can dive the reef. I've gone out when it got very rough just as we went through the cut and we turned around and came back. One time we actually had 3 divers in the water and 3 more ready to go when it kicked up and we called the divers back.
Maybe I'm just lucky but
ALL OF THESE times we were given "make-up" dives.
My first two trips down we dove with Billy & Ched @ Hustler's. My last three times things had changed at Hustler's mad Ched was running his own boat so I dove with Ched. Ched now owns his own boat.
I just suggest being open, honest and flexible. No Problem MON!
Good luck.
Harriette

About Ramon's
I think they are over priced and too resortie for me. But lots of people love that kind of thing. On A/C you can find anything to fit your life style and pocketbook. I had a friend I traveled with who had to eat in "All the right places" where ever we went. It wasn't so much about "being there" as "saying where you had been." Humm . . . maybe that's why I don't rave so much about Amigos Del Mar. If you are a novice diver you will probably love them.
I'm sure if you are more specific in what you expect you will get the feedback you are asking for.
Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Re: About hotels and dive shops in Ambergris #50782
04/19/02 06:46 PM
04/19/02 06:46 PM
Canada
seashell Offline
seashell  Offline
Scubalady,

I couldn't agree with you more, especially about Ramon's.

As to Amigo's, I get a pretty good deal with them because of buying blocks of dives and they take very good care of me too. I usually recommend them because they probably are the premier shop on the Caye, regardless of my relationship with them. However, I am aware that since I want to do more adventurous dives and get to some of the sites farther north, I'm probably going to need to find a more "boutique" type shop, or just book Ched. [Linked Image]

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Re: About hotels and dive shops in Ambergris #50783
04/20/02 09:19 AM
04/20/02 09:19 AM
Chicago Suburbs, Illinois
mddev Offline

mddev  Offline
We just got back from AC. Originally set up our dive with Barefoot and dove with them one day. Great outfit. Next day 4/11, we wanted to do the Blue Hole and BF set us up with Amigos. First class outfit. They picked us up at the North end of AC for the trip, seas where fine that day so we had about 14 divers, but it's a new large boat they use now. It suprised us that we'd have stewed checken for lunch on such a warm day but it was one of the better meals we had and no one was sick as far as I know.
I'll definately dive with Amigos again.

And remember, look don't touch.

Re: About hotels and dive shops in Ambergris #50784
04/22/02 08:59 AM
04/22/02 08:59 AM
Stamford, CT, USA
D

D
We heard Ramons is a bit pricey and too tourist oriented and although we normally try to go to places where we can be in more direct contact we the natives and enjoy the culture as its best, for this time we decided to go with the high range hotel due to the fact that we had a horrible experience en Brazil this past November 2001...armed robbery and everything, my boyfriend almost got killed in front of my own eyes. We are not comparing Belize to Brazil for we have heard nothing but great things about Belize and its people, we are just being extra cautious, Brazil was a terrifying experience, still now, 6 months later I am having nightmares about that horrible night in Brazil.

Caribe
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 184 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics73,705
Posts486,593
Members19,816
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.