Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
DeeJay Offline OP
OP Offline
D
From Noelle,

Caye Caulker's iguana population already seems to be plummeting. The path to south point is littered with corpses killed by kids and their slingshots and the live ones are harder and harder to spot.

N
N
I will say this always gets better once school is back in session smile

D
DeeJay Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Teaching children the value of being able to see an animal in the wild, the back yard, in the sea..and for future generations to enjoy.

Last edited by DeeJay; 10/02/15 06:05 AM.
As a former juvenile hunter I know "the thrill of the kill" can be powerful and unthinking. Unless the island residents can somehow instill the inherent values of a diverse wildlife environment before the boys (mostly) enter that phase, this is likely to continue. I eventually came out of mine when I was caught then taught by a mentor to appreciate the beauty and value of wildlife simply for the sake of their existence and enrichment of ones environment. I would extend that concern to any of the islands reptiles including boas, which unfortunately, often seem to be the victims of simple fearful human reaction.

I should add that I'm not averse to hunting for food, but I'm reluctant to say make anyone apprehended eat their kill simply from the standpoint that iguanas are completely palatable when grilled over hardwood coals and sometimes referred to as "jungle chicken". You might not want to inadvertently trigger that as additional pressure given a declining population. But, given modern tastes, I rather doubt that as a likely scenario!

First step might be for Town Council to pass an ordinance protecting the Caye's reptiles..of course that does require a degree of enforcement to back it up...

D
DeeJay Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello Bear,
I really like your take on this..
Hopefully writing about this can help bring some light to the situation..
Ancestors would teach about the importance of the sea and animals..somewhere that seems to have gotten lost. Hope it comes back..and soon!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 281 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day