After a successful pilot program, SHINE founder Michelle Nu�ez has started a new session with a new group of young ladies. SHINE, which stands for Shaping Healthy Identities through Nurturing and Empowerment, is a youth enrichment program for young girls with aims of aiding them in their growth and development. The second installment of the program started on Saturday, October 10th and is scheduled to run for two months. Participants will partake in six lessons geared at building a confident, strong and productive young lady.

SHINE's curriculum includes lessons in self-esteem/ self-confidence, body image, sexual risk behavior, drugs and alcohol, decision making and communication skills and future goals and ambitions. "My goal is to continue to be passionate, working with girls in our community and to keep raising awareness about self-worth and empowerment. I just got back from my vacation in North Carolina and it was more of a gift of experience and knowledge. Something I will never forget. I visited two Hope Houses and witnessed how the power of a prayer can change people's lives. This trip gave me the strength to continue doing the SHINE program here in San Pedro. This is my second group of girls, whom I hope will benefit greatly from the program, and I look forward to the many more groups of girls that will come in future installments," said Nu�ez. As part of the program, the girls will also be treated to a session of Cardio Dance Club, a SHINE banquet and a photoshoot with Karen Brodie.

Click here to read the rest of the article and see more photos in the San Pedro Sun