Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#508973 11/08/15 08:12 PM
A
artisan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I was just wondering if anyone has had similar bad experiences in this court?
I have been summoned there twice now from Caye Caulker for restraining orders issued due to complete fabrications alleged by an ex girlfriend.
She was the cook in my restaurant, and started seeing a Canadian while still living with me.
Not wanting to lose her job, she went up there and lied to the magistrate, telling her that she was my common law wife.
I have been prevented from going on the premises of my own restaurant which she is now trying to claim with a second restraining order under the pretense that she is indeed my wife.
We were together only 1&1/2years, far short of the required by law 5.
The magistrate would not even examine my official notarized lease, but instead read a cursive written, non-notarized note from the landlord claiming that I had told him to take the rent from her?
So this man has now involved himself in this illegal activity by claiming to simultaneously lease the same piece of property to two different people, the latter with a non-notarized and later dated note.
I did thousands of dollars of improvements on his property which I have before and after pictures of, along with receipts for building materials and new restaurant equipment.
He has allowed her to change the locks, keeping all my new equipment in the bargain also.
I have heard of some less than straightforward behavior in Belize and Belize courts.
Has anyone else had an experience like this in this court?

Last edited by artisan; 11/08/15 08:17 PM.
Sounds like you need heavy duty legal help. ASAP

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
I thought common law was 3 years. But most certainly it isn't a year and a half.

A
artisan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have been told and even have it in writing from a Belize city Lawyer that it is indeed five years.
The magistrate was straightforward enough to confirm that she has the right to use the name Aladdins, but not my premises or equipment.
I was locked out of the place because the landlord who's property I greatly improved is now complicit.
I had picked the name myself, but sent her into Belize to register it with the money, so it wound up registered in her name.
I was busy remodeling the place, lessons are often learned the hard way in Belize!
No matter, I have no interest in cooking Lebanese food, I have another chef and a different theme.
I have to consult another lawyer now, I was trying to be nice and let her have it for only the materials and equipment money but she refuses to pay me a cent.
I only kept it in Magistrate Court because of this "Nice guy" attempt, there is a $15,000 bzd thresh-hold.
Now adding my labor for 1&1/2 years, remodeling, managing.....and
Loss of income for 8 months now, and........
The value of a business that I took to #2 on tripadvisor and took in over $100,000 the very first year, makes this is easily a $50,000 claim which will necessarily have to go to Supreme court.

Last edited by artisan; 11/09/15 01:29 PM.
You should be able to take this to the Supreme court but be prepared to be there for the long haul.

A
artisan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
The problem is I diverted this money from a condo/hotel project that was soon to be resumed with a new partner.
I made it quite clear to the GF that this investment was temporary to help her and her 3 children out of the Belize city ghetto.
She knew it would have to be repaid post haste so I could resume with my original project.
Obviously this woman has no conscience, the minute the business was thriving she locked me out.
This project was derailed 8 years ago by a certain delusional con-man that most of you are familiar with.
I refrain from using his infamous name as he is known to be a relentless litigator.
His less than honest endeavors with many San Pedranos have caught up with him, and he is no longer around La Isla Bonita.
My project however has been sitting there for 8 years with no roof slab thanks to him.
Now thanks to her it may be quite longer or never if I am forced to sell at a great loss.
If I am simply awarded the keys to my restaurant back, I could go to work and make the payments.
This reads like bad fiction, but the reality of it boggles my mind.
Uncanny that I can go through all the necessary legal arrangements to open a restaurant with notarized documents and then totally lose control of a multi-thousand dollar investment because someone changed a $10 padlock!
P.S. No one knew her here on the island where I have lived in relative peace for 10 years.
When September came around I enrolled the children in the Roman Catholic school, then the only one here.
Now Cindarella has put them in the new private school with my investment dollars, at a cost of $1,050 a month!

Last edited by artisan; 11/09/15 02:00 PM.
Comment from an old fart... If you are 35 or younger you are still learning about "life". If you are 40 or older, you haven't been listening to other tales of woe. I'll leave the missing 5 years for another time.

Sorry you have had to live this saga.

A little known fact... Women who are overweight tend to live longer than men who mention it...
A
artisan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
From a not so young fart, you're right, I am a glutton for punishment.
This was my 4th foster family, 11 kids, none of them mine.
I would do the same thing tomorrow though, what is the sense of living if you only live for yourself?
I do have some wonderful memories, still very fond of all of the kids!

BTW, I have interviewed 2 lawyers now.
1.A woman who seemed too much like the Magistrate, prejudiced premature conclusion based on one side of the story.
I imagine there are a lot of scorned women in Belize.
2. A neophyte who handles the overflow of the bulldog I was told to go after, he has gone into politics.
Imagine my surprise!

If anyone knows of someone aggressive with good track record I'm all ears!
I came here a middle-class American and have been a Belizean laborer for 8 years now.
I cannot afford to lose the last piece of equity I have in this world.

Last edited by artisan; 11/09/15 05:29 PM.
L
L
Fool me once, shame on you...Fool me twice, shame on me. No truer words have been ever spoken!

A
artisan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes Larry, I know a lot of people who never make mistakes, they also never commit to anything and lead very empty lives.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.