Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

American Coast Guard gravely injured while vacationing on Ambergris Caye

A 26-year-old American Coast Guard was gravely injured while vacationing in Ambergris Caye. The victim of the incident was Jennifer Smith who was stabbed while walking the beach back to her hotel on Thursday, December 10th shortly before midnight. Since her the attack, Smith has been transported to the United States of America for further medical attention as her injures are considered life threatening. San Pedro Police have launched a full investigation and are seeking a Hispanic male in connection to the assault.

On Friday, December 11th, Deputy Coastal Executive Officer, Assistant Superintendent Henry Jemmott indicated to The San Pedro Sun that the incident was a robbery assault. He further stated that upon hearing of the incident, police visited the Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Polyclinic II where they found Smith suffering from two stab wounds; one to the back of the head and another to her back close to her spinal cord. After receiving immediate medical treatment, the victim was airlifted to Belize City for intense medical care at Belize Medical Partners Clinic. It was not until Friday after 2PM that Smith was responsive enough to give a detailed account of the attack to the police.

"The victim reported that while walking to her hotel near the center of San Pedro Town, she was approached by a Hispanic male who asked her for $20. Smith denied him the request and as a result he proceeded to stab her twice with a knife. The attacker then escaped the scene," said Jemmott. Immediately after giving the police report, Smith was airlifted out of Belize to the USA due to her critical condition.

Investigations into the incident have commenced but police still have no suspects. Anyone with further information into the matter are asked to contact the San Pedro Police Department at 206-2022.

San Pedro Sun

A tourist was stabbed in an attempted robbery in front of the Palms Thursday night at around 11:30pm. If you were in that area, even on Coconut Drive by Ramon's, Runway or Ali Baba's and you saw anything out of the ordinary please contact the police. This much is second hand: the tourist is in stable condition in Belize City after being flown off the island.

RULE NUMBER ONE NEVER I REPEAT NEVER WALK BY YOURSELF AT NIGHT!!!!

Originally Posted by bobcat bill

Anywhere, unfortunately.

W
W
Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Originally Posted by bobcat bill

Anywhere, unfortunately.

Diane, your attitude about feeling safe walking the beach at night alone has changed.

Last edited by Welland; 12/12/15 09:48 PM.
I should have clarified late nights and "anywhere" to refer to a world gone mad.
I feel 100% safe in my neighborhood 24-7, but we don't have nightlife up here.
By midnight in San Pedro most individuals who are out and about are intoxicated.

Same here, I feel comfortable walking at night, and do walk the beach at night to dinner often. my only concern being mosquitoes.
Most of these incidents read about in the news involve late night/early morning in bad neighborhoods involving alcohol or drugs. Unfortunately Downtown San Pedro is one of those bad neighborhoods.
Downtown San Pedro is a tiny spot on Ambergris Caye and should be easy to fix with more police foot patrols.
Belize government pays police an insultingly small salary and is a portion of a small budget so at the bottom line this problem is the small amount of money government doles out to police the town. Bobcatbill, my apologies but you live in a building downtown in a very bad spot to be out at night, true?

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
I stay in San Pedro at a very respected hotel downtown. I just have to watch out for those 6 foot cockroaches

J
J
How about y'all stop the victim blaming. I was not out alone on purpose I got separated from my friend, and thought the best decision was to head back. Victim blaming is disgusting and hurtful. This person ruined my life.i have a spinal cord injury. And ptsd, and several other issues. I almost lost my life.

Kthanks
J
J
I was completely sober, just got separated from my friend. Thank you for the victim blaming.

Kthanks
J
J
I didn't want to be alone I got separated from my friend. And it wasn't midnight that I was attacked. It was earlier. Victim blaming needs to stop. It was 100 percent not my fault. If it were up to me I would have been back at my room before 9 o'clock, but I had to take care of my friend. Please stop victim blaming.

Kthanks
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 150 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.