Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Glover's Reef: A haven of tropical beauty in Southern Belize
After my first visit to the Glover's Reef Marine Research Station some years ago, I remember saying to myself "I need to come back!" This amazing, secluded piece of paradise had captured my heart, and even though I did not know when I'd make it back, I vowed to do so. That long awaited second visit finally took place, when an unexpected invitation came from the management of the station. I was beyond thrilled with my dream trip underway, excited to explore even further. The Glover's Reef Atoll is one of three atolls (the other two are Lighthouse and Turneffe), and was so named because of its discoverers John and Rodger Glover in the 1750's. It was established as a national protected area in 1993. One of the islands where the research station is located is owned by the Wildlife Conservation Society. It is equipped with sleeping quarters, a full kitchen, library, friendly staff, an observation tower, and even WiFi! The sixteen acre island runs on solar and wind energy, collects rain water, has Eco-restrooms and their boats even have Eco-engines. It is indeed a sustainable station!

New regulations for taxi drivers to be implemented
All members of the different taxi associations will be required to undergo training in order for them to meet the required standards. Such requirements will include proper attire, special identification, and clean police records. Mayor Daniel Guerrero also spoke about an initiative to reduce the size of the taxi vans, which at the same time will help alleviate the issue of traffic congestion on the island. He mentioned a particular size of vehicle which he would approve immediately. "There are some small taxicabs that can take around four persons. They don't take much space and are very comfortable. If anyone would get some of these small taxicabs, I would issue the permits immediately," said Guerrero. He also emphasized the idea of standardizing the new vehicles with a definite color and design. The SPTC hopes that when this program is implemented, it will bring the level of customer service to its highest on the island, with the taxi drivers playing an important role in it. Guerrero pointed out incidents in the past that have jeopardized taxi drivers' reputation. "There have been past events on the island that have involved taxi drivers, and that is not good for the Tourism Industry, or for them. There is the case of one of their members accused of sexual assault. Again, it hurts the tourism industry, and even though the court has yet to decide whether that person is innocent or not, we have to work to fix those issues that can affect us all. So we will work together with the BTB, who will provide them with training. We want to have good caliber taxi drivers out here, meeting the people so we can always have that good impression when our tourists get to the island," stated Guerrero.

Alfonso Wiltshire expected to appear in court on February 9th
After being charged with two counts of Aggravated Burglary and two counts of Unlawful Sexual Intercourse in October of 2015, taxi driver and landlord Alfonso Wiltshire was remanded to the Belize Central Prison. This incarceration did not last long, as he was soon out on bail. Since then, he has been out in the community and allegedly engaging in his previous job as a taxi driver on the island. The case is a continuous one, and many question the lack of justice as well as the safety of his alleged victim(s). Information from the San Pedro Police Formation indicates that nothing much has changed in the case. Wiltshire continues to have the said charges on him, pending sentence. He has been abiding by the law by reporting to the station on a weekly basis as a requirement of his bail. The sergeant on duty indicated that until proven guilty, Wiltshire will continue to be free like any other citizen. This process he stated is normal, and it applies to anyone who is out on bail. Once the Supreme Court has granted bail, it is outside the local police jurisdiction to apprehend that individual until he or she is sentenced in a court of law.

Illegal dumping affecting San Pedro's Waterways
The trash situation on Ambergris Caye is an ongoing battle, extending beyond our streets and into the island's waterways. One resident in particular reported the repeated dumping of garbage in the lagoon behind the Belize Electricity Limited (BEL) plant in the San Juan area to the San Pedro Town Council (SPTC). After noticing that nothing was being done, he took it upon himself to clear the waterway, taking out all the garbage that had accumulated. He then notified the SPTC about the garbage, and according to the SPTC, they quickly responded and picked up the reported pile of trash. Another initiative that the SPTC plans to do is begin at least four major cleaning campaigns of the waterways during the year. "This will give us more control of the situation and be able to find the source of the trash. We don't want to be cleaning, and cleaning and then later there is more trash. We don't want it to become a vicious cycle. Even though we don't have the resources like a boat to clean the waterways, that does not mean we cannot be creative. We will start putting more attention into these areas since they were not part of the program and as things evolve, along with the overtime from our sanitation staff, we expect to properly address the situation," said Greif. "Garbage is a serious issue, and much more when it gets in waterways, as that is another dangerous way how to spread diseases. "

Ambergris Today

The third annual Mrs. Reina del Carnaval has been set to take place on Saturday, January 23, 2016 at the R. Angel Nunez Auditorium with four contestants vying for the title of Carnaval Queen of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize. The Carnaval Pageant has been hugely successful for the past two years, bringing slapstick entertainment that is characteristic of the spirit and celebrations of the traditional Carnaval of San Pedro. (Click Here for 2015 Pageant) The pageant is organized by Mrs. Flora Ancona's Comparsa Group that year after year entertains during the three days of street dancing of Carnaval. The pageant contestants are older women (Mrs.) who prove that beauty comes in all ages. Segments of the pageant will include an opening dance, beachwear, talent and eveningwear. Organizers expect another fun-filled pageant scheduled to commence at 7:30p.m. Here are this year's Mrs. Reina del Carnaval pageant contestants:

ACES Ball Gowns & BBQ Charity Gala & Art Auction
Ambergris Caye Elementary School proudly presents their Ball Gowns & BBQ Charity Gala & Art Auction! At this, our first Charity Gala & Art Auction, we hope to raise both awareness and much-needed operating and scholarship funds for ACES. Because it is a nonprofit organization, all donations to the school are tax deductible, and all proceeds will directly benefit ACES and its students. We also hope to bring attention to the incredible art of San Pedro, along with the talented local artists and artisans who generously donated pieces to this worthy cause. Ambergris Caye Elementary School (ACES) is a non-denominational community-based private school on Ambergris Caye. Since its establishment in 2009, ACES has enthusiastically embraced the amazing cultural and ethnic diversity that makes up our wonderful island and promotes awareness and respect among our students.

Pic of the Week - Epic Diving Encounter in Belize
Belize's Barrier Reef boasts abundant marine life. This sea turtle seen here making a new friend, is only one of the many sea creatures you will encounter. Submerge yourself in nature. Dive Belize.

Two High Profile Murders Have Belize Authorities Mobilized
It's a high profile case that has the face of a US woman plastered all over the news, pressure on the Belize Police Department to capture a murderer and Belize being tagged with the image of being an unsafe country. Because of two recent but separate murder cases that involve a US television producer and a filmmaker from Canada, Belize is on the international spotlight receiving some very bad publicity - of being an unsafe country due to its high murder rate. Yahoo Travel even asks the question "Following Murder, Is Belize Safe for Tourists? But recent statistics from the Belize Police Department indicate that there has been a decrease in murder and crime at the end of 2015. Even more so, the highest rate of murders in the county take place within the Belize District (Belize City). Major crime levels remain low in more touristic areas and attractions, including the Maya ruins and resorts along the coastline and neighboring islands. There have always been advisories for visitors to avoid areas of the south side of Belize City where numerous gangs are known to operate and to exercise caution when traveling along remote areas of the Belizean border. Visitors are no more at risk in Belize than they would be in some neighboring countries or even some cities in USA. Tourism is a vital part of the Belizean economy, accounting for 14% of all jobs and 23% of GDP for the country; hundreds of thousands of visitors travel to the country each year, most without incident.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Tracie Young announces her candidacy for chairman of Caye Caulker Village Council
If you know me, you know that I think outside the box, I don't follow the same pattern as others, I use the resources I have to make magic. I smile a lot and I try to lighten the mood, I love making people smile and I find unique ways of doing things, the world isn't flat so we don't treat everything the same way!!! With that said, this is my way of announcing my candidacy for Chairperson in the next Village Council Election 2016! Feel free to write to me and we can set a time to meet if you want to know more about my portfolio and plans for the island!

Vacancy: Country Director for leading international volunteer organization "Projects Abroad"
Based: San Pedro. Requirements: M.Sc. or B.Sc. or equivalent in Business Management or related fields. 5 yrs experience in management, development, HR management and working with culturally diverse populations. Ability to formulate and implement operational plans. Proficiency in Office tools, Internet. Send CV and cover letter to: [email protected]

School Outreach Programme 2016
This year's School Outreach Programme was held at both the George Price Centre, to honor the father of the nation, since his birthday was on the 15th of January, and at the Guanacaste National Park. .

Book: A Walk Through Dangriga
We are pleased to announce the upcoming book launch of A Walk Through Dangriga. A Walk Through Dangriga is the third in the series of publications which focus on the history and usage of historic and cultural spaces in Belize's cities and towns. Kindly be on the lookout.

Channel 7

One Weekend, Three Machete Murders
There were 3 chopping murders this weekend, one in San Pedro, another in a remote Orange Walk village of Indian Church, and the last one in Bella Vista, Stann Creek. All three victims are Central American migrants to Belize. We start first with our story on San Pedro. That's where island cops found the body of 35 year-old Guatemalan Sergio Uribio inside an apartment in the San Pedrito Area. He was lying dead with a large gash to the left side of the neck and left arm. On the verandah, they found 48 year-old Honduran Jose Villeda, and he had extensive injuries: a large cut wound to the right side of his face, his left wrist partially chopped off, a cut wound to the left knee, one to the right leg, another to the lower left leg, and a portion of his left pinky finger had been chopped off. It appears at this time that the two men, who are reportedly friends, got into a drunken brawl on Saturday at around one, and it escalated to a machete and knife fight. Police say that the dead man, Uribio struck first.

A Love Triangle Turns To Murder In Indian Church
Police in Orange Walk recorded their first murder of the year this weekend when Guatemalan man from the village of Indian Church was viciously chopped to death. The village describes the victim as a respectable man, in fact he was to end his term this as the vice chairman of the village this year. So who would want him dead? Emanuel Pech found out that Francisco Arevalo was on the killing side of a love triangle. The relative peace of the Village of Indian Church was shattered when the naked, mutilated body of the Francisco Arrevalo was discovered on the side of this empty building on Sunday morning. It is a violent end for this 51 year old Guatemalan National, who moved to Belize several years ago and lived his last few years as the vice chairman of the community. Elser Aguilar - Nephew: "He was a man who never trouble anyone. He was a man who never go out of his house. He does not drink. We are like what happened to him. It's difficult for the family. He was vice chairman. He helped anyone who wanted help. He would do it and never say no. All the villages are really sad of his death." Emanuel Pech: "What do you know of the situation? What happened?"

24-Year-Old Woman Killed, Husband The Suspect
The third murder happened this morning, around 5:30, in a football field in Bella Vista Village in the Stann Creek . That's where they found 24 year-old Honduran Maria Suyapa Garcia, who had been chopped to death. Police believe that her husband did it as the result of a domestic dispute which took a murderous turn. Here's what information investigators have at this time: ACP Joseph Myvette, Head - NICB: "Police responded sometime around 5:35am in the area of the football field in Bella Vista Village where they saw the lifeless body of Maria Suyapa Garcia with large chop wound across the body and head. Further police investigations into this matter revealed that it seemingly arose out of a domestic dispute and as we currently speak, police are seeking her common-law husband who is believe to be the main suspect." Police are seeking her 21 year-old common-law husband for questioning.

The Killing Of A Tourist: Police Have No Firm Answers Yet
But, while those 3 murders have made local headlines, the killing which continues to make international headlines is that of 39 year-old American Tourist Anne Swaney. This news producer from ABC 7 in Chicago was vacationing in Belize, at the Nabitunich Resort just outside of Benque Viejo Town. She went missing last week Thursday morning and the next day, police found her body floating in the Mopan River. She was last seen doing yoga on the riverside, and she was supposed to go horse-back riding with her fellow guests, but she never made it. Police found her body some 20+ hours later, and they were convinced that she had been killed. Well, a post-mortem examination has confirmed that she was strangled to death, and had sustained blunt force trauma to the head and neck. Here's what the Commissioner of Police had to say about the case today:

Anne Swaney's Dad Tells ABC7-Chicago The Pain Of His Loss
But, while the authorities are investigating her killing, she has an entire host of family, friends, and co-workers back in Chicago who are mourning her loss. Our colleagues from ABC 7, the TV station she worked for, spoke with her father back in Illinois, and he lamented the loss of his daughter, the second child that he's had to bury. He fought back tears as he reminisced about his daughter: The main person of interest, the Guatemalan who police picked up in the immediate area last week has been arrested and charged with illegal entry, and he has been criminally arraigned. He's 24 year-old Victor Manuel Franco Menjivar, resident from Benque Viejo's sister town across the border, Melchor De Menchos, Guatemala. He's pleaded guilty to the immigration charge, and he has been fined a thousand dollars. He's since been handed back over to police for further interrogation as to why he was in the area when police were looking for Anne Swaney.

2016 Very Deadly So Far
So, including this weekend's 3 murders, there have been 10 killings in the first 18 days of 2016, a frightening spike which has not gone unnoticed by the Commissioner of Police. He held a press conference today to reassure the public that he and the Police Department are doing everything they can to stop the killings. Here's what he told us: Allen Whylie, Commissioner of Police: "Despite our intervention efforts, our patrols countrywide as I said we've had a total of 10 incidents of murders committed across the country of Belize. One was committed in Belize City; one in rural Belize District, Hattieville to be precise; one in the Selena Village, Spanish Lookout Cayo District area; one in Punta Gorda; two occurred in Belmopan involving taxi men; one also occurred in Benque Viejo...

Police Say Bejerano Was Hummingbird Highway Jacker
And Belmopan police have reportedly made an arrest in a scary roadside car jacking. Two weeks ago, we told you about 38 year-old Melonie Popper Coc, who pulled over on the side of the Hummingbird Highway in Armenia village to make a phone call - and she was car jacked by two men who drove off in her Isuzu D-Max - leaving her along with her mother and four kids stranded on the roadside. Well, police have arrested and charged Lincoln Bejerano for theft of her vehicle. IF the name sounds familiar, it's because six days ago, Bejerano was charged for Kept ammunition without a gun license, kept firearm with a gun license, robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery - in connection with the murder of 28 year old Belmopan Cab driver Isidro Suar.

Teenager On Motorbike Killed
A 19 year old was knocked down and killed on the Old Northern Highway. On Saturday afternoon at around 2 Maykon Divas was heading back to his Lucky Strike home on his motorcycle when he crashed head on into with a Toyota Landcruiser. It happened near mile 25 on the Old Northern. The driver of the Landcruiser, 47 year old Joan Crooks was carrying 4 passengers from Altun Ha when the collision occurred. Divas was flung form his motorbike and died on the spot. Today we traveled to Lucky Strike Village to find out more from the family. A lot of work is left to be done in this bedroom, the walls need to be plastered and the door and ceiling still need to be installed. Even after all the structural details are finished, it has to be cleaned, painted and transformed into a comfortable space.

Highways Remain Dangerous
There were 2 more accidents in the Belize district over the weekend - but these were not fatal. The first accident happened on Saturday morning around 11. 34 year old Robert Logan was heading to Belize City in his Ford Ranger pickup when one of his tires blew out at mile 13 - right in front of the Soft Toilet Paper Factory. He flipped several times and he was flung out of his truck. Shortly after, his vehicle caught on fire. Although Logan was seriously injured and had to be rushed to the KHMH he is lucky to be alive because he could have been burnt to death in the truck. Police gave us more information on this accident. "The first was on Saturday 16th at about 10:45am where a blue pickup truck driven by one Robert Logan, suffered a blowout and flipped 7 times at Mile 13 on the George Price Highway. He was taken to the hospital, has been treated and since released. Fortunately, he survived that serious accident. His vehicle burst into flames and was totally destroyed by fire." We understand Logan has been released from the KHMH. As for the other accident, that one happened on the Lords Bank Road early yesterday morning. 38 year old Enrique Minima was heading towards Edwin Parks Avenue in his mini-SUV, A Daihatsu Terios when his steering wheel locked causing him to flip once. Police told us more.

The Challenge Of Keeping Roads Safe
And the Rural Eastern Division is taking a proactive approach in trying to minimize these accidents and keep these roads safe. Broaster told us that a part from setting up signs speed traps officers will be trained as Emergency Medical Technicians. He discussed their plans with us today. Sr. Sup. Edward Broaster, O. C. Eastern Rural: "Given the nature of the numerous accidents that have been occurring on the George Price Highway and the Philip Goldson Highway, we have put a proposal together where we will be submitting to the Commissioner of Police for the Ministry of National Security and the Ministry of Health to consider where we train police officers to be paramedics and serve as dual functions and we have an ambulance based out of Sandhill and another based in Mahogany Heights. So that we can have much quicker and faster response by the medical team or the emergency team to render aid and service in the effort of protecting life. As well we are looking at setting up speed traps in various parts of the George Price Highway as well as the Philip Goldson Highway."

Police: "Ms Pam's" Husband Will Be Charged
Calvin Cumberbatch will be charged for the New Year's weekend double fatal accident on the Northern Highway. As you all may remember, On January 1, the well-known Southside money lender Pamela Bennett - Cumberbatch was traveling to Orange Walk with her husband Calvin when they collided into a Grey Dodge at mile 6. The driver of the dodge was 80 year old Alfredo Navarrete, he was heading to Belize City. Both Pamela Cumberbatch and Navarrete died on the scene. Police gave us an update on this case. Sr. Sup. Edward Broaster, O. C. Eastern Rural: "As it pertains to the fatal on New Year's Day we are expecting Mr. Cumberbatch to come in today to Ladyville Police Station where he will be charged for those fatalities." Reporter: "So he was found to be at fault in that incident?" Sr. Supt. Edward Broaster: "He will be charged based on the evidence and the investigation that we've carried out, yes."

Police Say PG Pair Responsible For Two Killings
On last week Wednesday's newscast, we told you how police had made a major break in their investigation into the murder of 19 year-old Jarrel Pop. He's the victim whose decomposing body was found at the bottom of a well on Sunday, January 10. Well, police have since arrested and charged 21 year-old Albert Valentine Jr. and a 15 year-old minor jointly for the charge of murder. As we had reported, he was picked up by San Pedro police, after he was trying to hide out from law enforcement. And, in a neat tie up, police say that they've been able to link him and this 15 year-old to the murder of 64 year-old Antonio "Sapote" Rodriguez. You will remember that taxi driver from Eldridgeville, Toledo was found killed just outside of Punta Gorda Town in mid-December. Again, both Valentine Jr and the 15 year-old minor have been jointly charged with the murder for this taximan.

ZIKA Warning Goes Out For All Belize's Neighbors
Last week we told you about the spread of the Zika Virus in Latin America and the Caribbean. Well, on Friday The US Centers for Disease Control issued a travel warning for 14 countries with Zika. The travel alert targets pregnant women and those who want to become pregnant following reports that thousands of babies in Brazil were born last year with a brain disorder linked to Zika. The alert includes every single one of Belize's neighbors to the north, south, and west, namely Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. The alert recommends that women who are pregnant postpone travel to those countries.

Rural Cops Get Gun Used In Robbery
Ladyville police found guns and drugs over the weekend. Police found a .22 pistol with 1 empty magazine hidden in some bushes in Vista Del Mar. They are looking for 3 persons in connection with this seizure. They also found over 700 grams or about 2 pounds of weed in a bushy lot in Hattieville. Broaster told gave us more details on these busts. Sr. Sup. Edward Broaster, O. C. Eastern Rural: "On the 15th January the Rural Rapid Response Team recovered a twenty-two pistol and a magazine in a case. This was in the area of Vista del Mar. We have three suspects that we are looking at as it regards to that particular firearm. We also conducted raids in the Hattieville area where we recovered over seven hundred plus grams of cannabis and in another area where we recovered a hundred and forty-one grams of cannabis with the help of the canine." Daniel Ortiz: "Do you all have at this time the origin of that weapon and do you all suspect it may have been used in any crimes recently?"

The Genesis of the Paumen/Modiri Land Dispute
So last week we told you all about the mystifying murder plot allegedly hatched by Bradley Paumen - an American who's one of the biggest tour operators in Belize. The allegation is that he hired a hitman to take our his neighbor in Frank's Eddy, Michael Modiri - and three of Modiri's associates, including his bodyguard and his lawyer. It's all because of a land dispute - which went to court in May of 2015. That's when Michael Modiri sued the government because they had acquired his land - and awarded it to Paumen for his private use. Modiri told the court that it all started in March of 2013, when Paumen, who was his neighbor in Frank's Eddy, put up a gate, which blocked access to Modiri's landlocked property. But Paumen also needed to get on Modiri's land to get access to caves. They were supposed to reach an agreement, but in early 2013, someone went unto Modiri's property and cleared a three quarter mile road leading to the caves. When Modiri checked, Paumen was using the road as access to his caves. The government then acquired the property in February of 2015. Now property can only be acquired for a public purpose, but in her judgment Justice Sonya Young notes, quote, "the government through NICH had partnered with Dark Night Cave Tubing - which facilitated tourists visiting the archeological reserve." But they got to that reserve using Modiri's land - which is why government had to acquire it.

Will Police Keep Alleged Targets Safe?
So, while that's the backstory which ties both men to each other, police have accused Paumen of trying to to get Modiri killed. He's out on bail, and so the press questioned whether the police will be keeping a close eye on him to ensure the safety of the persons he allegedly tried to get killed. Here's our conversation with the Commissioner of Police on the topic: Reporter: "What kind of details you have on Bradley Paumen?" Allen Whylie, Commissioner of Police: "We have none. He is I think he might be a Belizean-American I'm not too sure. But he was offered bail by the Courts. But once he is offered bail and he meets the condition of the bail then he is free to move around. I believe one of the conditions is that he is not to leave the country and he is also to report to the Police. We have to respect the conditions of the bail that was granted to him."

A Disgraced Deputy, but Deputy Nontheless
On last week Thursday, we told you about the lawsuit that the family members of the late Yolando Valencia, are bringing against the disgraced Deputy Police Commissioner, Miguel Segura. As you may remember, she died in that accident when Segura slammed head on into her taxi driver's car. So, what is Miguel Segura's status as police officer while he awaits criminal trial? Well, his boss, Commissioner Allen Whylie, told us that he is still the Deputy Commissioner of Police, but he is on interdiction with half pay: Allen Whylie, Commissioner of Police: "Mr. Segura as you know was involved in a very unfortunate incident. He is still the substantive deputy commissioner of police. Since the incident has occurred he had initially been suspended and then later the status changed where he was interdicted from duty. So whilst he is still the substantive deputy commissioner of police, all his policing powers are held in abeyance and he is on basically half pay. Yes, the matter is before the court and when that matter concludes then we know how we move forward."

Come, CARICOM!
CARICOM Heads of Government will be meeting in Belize next month. But, in preparation for that the Council of Ministers has to meet to decide what will be on the agenda. That meeting was held on Friday at CARICOM headquarters in Georgetown Guyana. Because Belize is currently chairing CARICOM, the meeting was led by Foreign Minister Wilfred Elrington with CARICOM Secretary-General, Ambassador Irwin LaRocque. They spoke with CARICOM cameras about the agenda for February's meeting:.. The meeting will be held in mid-February in Placencia.

Biking It Better Than Hiking It
2 patrol officers got brand new bicycles today. Senior Superintendent Edward Broaster surprised his 2 officers who were patrolling Tropical Park this morning. They usually go on foot from house to house everyday as part of their community policing program. But now, they will be able to visit more homes in a shorter amount of time. There will be more donations throughout the year. The 2 bikes cost $500. Placencia Police also had two brand new bicycles handed over to them for police patrols on the Peninsula. The donor, Dan Dunbar, a realtor at Caribbean Properties Consultants, gifted the bikes to the Commander of Placencia Police, Inspector Dennis Miles. This is his second donation to Peninsula Police as part of the ongoing Community Policing Efforts. Also present for the donation was Chairlady ILSA Villanueva.

Channel 5

Machete Mayhem Across Belize, ComPol Weighs In on Mounting Murders
2016 is off to a murderous start.� Since the beginning of the New Year, there have been a total of ten homicides across the country. One of the most shocking [...]

ABC7 Producer Ann Swaney Strangled Near Succotz
Now to the murders … Ann Swaney, an executive producer at ABC Chicago who was vacationing in Belize was killed in the west; that murder is being reported by ABC [...]

Indian Church Vice Chairman Hacked to Death in Weekend Chopping
There have been three other murders due to chopping since Ann Swaney was strangled to death. In Indian Church in the Orange Walk District, a Guatemalan national was likely lured [...]

Murder in San Pedrito: A Man is Mutilated and Another Clings to Life
There was a gruesome, bloody murder in San Pedro in broad daylight Saturday afternoon. It happened at a home in the San Pedrito Area of the island and involved alcohol, [...]

A Woman is Killed in Bella Vista, Common-Law Husband is on the Lam
The most recent murder occurred this morning. In the Stann Creek District, a Honduran national was hacked to death shortly before six o'clock. �Independence Police visited Bella Vista Village where [...]

2 More Arrested and Charged in Paumen Murder Conspiracy
Bradley Paumen, the American resort and tour company owner who allegedly hired a hit man to kill four persons, one of them a local attorney, is currently free, out on [...]

Will Police Provide Security for Would-be Targets?
The prosecution in the Bradley Paumen case is convinced that they have more than enough to convict the wealthy American businessman on four charges of Abetment to Murder, each which [...]

Paumen's Firearm and Murder Plot May Not be Related – ComPol Whylie
On January eleventh, Paumen had been on remand three days already, but strangely, police made no noise about the very significant, very high-level arrest. So when the GSU found a [...]

Lincoln Bejerano Arraigned for Armenia Carjacking
On January second, a family was traumatized when they were jacked at gunpoint in Armenia Village. According to Melanie Popper Coc, she was heading to Pomona with her mother and [...]

PM Barrow Says Interim Convention for U.D.P. Set for March
The People's United Party will elect a new leader at the end of January. Close to three thousand delegates will vote at the Belmopan convention to determine where Francis Fonseca [...]

PM Barrow Talks B.T.L. Settlement
It is expected that in the first part of this year, an arbitration tribunal will determine the value of shares arising from the nationalization of Belize Telemedia Limited. Now, government [...]

PIL Prepared to Invest in Cruise Port in Port Loyola
While we discussed the issue of the arbitration award, we also inquired whether relations between Barrow and Lord Michael Ashcroft were on the mend. The PM recently said that he [...]

Maykon Vivas Perishes in Head-on Collision with Land Cruiser on Old Northern Road
A road traffic accident on Saturday proved fatal for a nineteen-year-old cyclist when he collided head-on into a vehicle whilst rounding a curve near Altun Ha, on the Old Northern [...]

A Pickup Goes Up in Flames After Overturning on George Price Highway
There were two other accidents, which were not fatal, but left victims traumatized. Robert Logan, a motorist traveling along the George Price Highway, is lucky to have escaped grave injuries [...]

Belize City Man Survives Road Traffic Mishap in Lords Bank Village
A third mishap, this one in Lords Bank Village, involved the manager of a local business in Belize City.� Enrique Minima is lucky to have escaped unhurt when he lost [...]

Pirates Rob Tourists Near Middle Long Caye, Was Woman Sexually Assaulted?
There's still more crime�A vessel moored near Middle Long Caye came under attack last Wednesday by pirates operating in waters southeast of Belize City.� During the incident, passengers onboard the [...]

Ladyville Police Recover Weapon Used in Armed Robbery
Last Wednesday, Chinese businessman Zu Chu Wu reported to Ladyville police that whilst at his business in Vista del Mar, he was robbed by two men of East Indian descent.� [...]

Calvin Cumberbatch to be Charged for Double Fatalities in RTA
Well-known Belize City moneylender Pamela Bennett and Burrell Boom resident Alfredo Navarette perished in a road traffic accident along the Phillip Goldson Highway over the New Year's weekend.� During the [...]

Hattieville Police Receive Donations from Silent Santa
While police have their hands full, they did take time today to receive a small but thoughtful contribution that will be used for elderly residents in the Hattieville community.� This [...]

Sports Monday: NEBL Season Kick Off
Good evening, I'm James Adderley and this is Sports Monday. The NEBL basketball season got off to a roaring start over the weekend and we caught up with the Belmopan [...]

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

CTV3

Five Laptops Stolen From Corozal Customs Brokerage
Corozal Police are looking for an individual or individuals responsible for breaking into the Insurance Corporation of Belize, (ICB) building located in the Santa Elena Border, Corozal District.The incident occurred between 5:00a.m and 6:00a.m on Friday, January 15th. It is believed that the criminal or criminals smashed the back glass windows to gain access to the building and once inside they entered the office of the Corozal Custom Brokerage and got their hands on 5 laptops. Alfredo Sanchez: "We received a phone call from the building manager last week Friday about six in the morning and they called us to inform us that there was a breaking into the building they were not certain what time it happened but when we arrived here we noticed that yes indeed the building was broken into."

Guatemalan Fisherman found In The Area Where American National Was Murdered Charged For Illegal Entry
The body of thirty nine year old American National, Anne Elizabeth McComb Swaney was found floating in the Mopan River on Friday morning at around 8:00 a.m. after she was reported missing by the owner of Nabitunich Resort on Thursday evening at about 5:00 p.m. The owner of the resort told police that Swaney went in an area to do yoga practices but never returned. When police visited the area, a search was conducted, however, only her belongings were found along the river bank. It was not until the following day that her body was discovered floating in the river with what appeared to be blunt force wounds to both sides of the forehead as well as marks on her neck.

SIF Engages Pre-School Teachers In Early Childhood Education Training
On Friday the Social Investment Fund, SIF in coordination with the basic need trust fund and the Caribbean Development Bank Grants, held a workshop for 15 preschool teachers in the area of quality child friendly environment, early childhood development training. SIF Technical Officer for the Northern Region, Freddie Cab, says that the aim is to strengthen the country's education sector. Freddie Cab Technical officer for Northern Region SIF: "The beginning of this training is in coordination with the basic need trust fund that the Caribbean Development Bank has given as grants through the support of the government of Belize and implemented by the Social Investment Fund, this is part of a soft project that initiated negotiations approximately a year and a little more with the different institutions around Corozal and Orange Walk, one of the initiatives of the government is to have quality child friendly environment and we are supporting that with providing training through the ministry of education such as this the Early childhood Development training..."

Minister Of Agriculture Says Lack Of Communication On The part Of Farmers Is Causing Problems
Last week we reported that the farmers of San Carlos Village lost over $50,000 worth in the production of carrots and that the blame was directed towards the Government for allegedly issuing license of importation of carrots only days before the farmers were ready to harvest their crop. Due to this problem, the farmers were unable to sell their vegetable at the market resulting in the rotting of the crop. During an interview with the media on Friday, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Agriculture, Hon. Gaspar Vega, stated that he believes that lack of communication is affecting farmers in relation to their crops. Hon. Gaspar Vega - Deputy Prime Minister: I would like to mention to everyone, especially the farmers, that they have to be more cooperative. We're here to assure the market, not only to the big guys but to the small guys and everyone, but we have to have this line of communication. You cannot have an attitude because there are some farmers who have an attitude when you ask them, "how much unu got planted?" [They respond] "dat da noh yo business." And these are things that affect us in the ministry because rightly you would be the same one asking us why we noh have enough carrot on the market? So it's a balancing act like you rightly said but it's challenging

Bilateral Agreements For Importation Of Rice To Belize From Guyana Is Being Discussed
And sticking to the Agriculture sector, Deputy Prime Minister, Hon. Gaspar Vega, along with his CEO, Jose Alpuche visited Guyana with the intention of settling a bilateral agreement with Belize concerning the supply of rice. The objective of the said agreement is to allow the importation of Guyanese rice in Belize only if it is experiencing a shortage of local supply. Upon the D.P.M's arrival at the Philip Goldson International airport on Friday, the media was able to speak to him based on the agreement that is currently in its initial stages and he emphasized on the importance of protecting our local production of rice. Hon. Gaspar Vega - Deputy Prime Minister: "Guyana's government, previous and present, has been very supportive. We all agreed that Belize needs to ensure food security for its country and in this case, we needed to assure the viability of our rice industry. We discussed that in detail and we even discussed that we must look for a way forward in securing the food security and even taking it to CARICOM.

Juan Carlos Lopez Gutierrez Wanted By Police
Late this evening the Orange Walk Police formation issued a wanted poster for Juan Carlos Lopez Gutierrez who is believed to be the perpetrator of the gruesome murder of Indian Church resident, Francisco Arevalo. 58 year old Juan Carlos Lopez Gutierrez, better known as Chile, was living in San Felipe Village in Orange Walk but according to villagers he frequently visited Indian Church to purchase produce. When we spoke to some of the residents of Indian Church today they told us that they believe that Gutierrez is still in the area and some even said that they had seen him in the outskirts of the village.

LOVE FM

Maykon Divas Dies in Traffic Incident
A recent graduate of King's College was the victim of a road traffic accident in the Belize District over the weekend. Renee Trujillo has the story.

PlusTV

American Tourist murdered in Cayo district
American tourist 39-year-old Anne Elizabeth McComb Swaney from Rockwell Chicago Illinois U.S.A was reported missing on Thursday in the Cayo District and found dead on Friday morning. 40-year-old Santiago Juan of Nabitunich Farm, owner of Hanna's Stable on the George Price Highway, near San Jose Suc...

Bradley Paumen receives bail of $50,000
58-year-old Bradley Paumen received bail today in the sum of $50,000.00. As we told you yesterday, the Frank's Eddy businessman with some 8 million dollars worth of investments including in Dark Knights Tours, was arrested, charged, and arraigned on four counts of "abetment to murder". He is accused...

GOB appointed Mayan Commission speaks on its responsibilities
This morning in Belize City, the government appointed Mayan commission met with the press to brief them on the scope of its works as the Mayan commission. The commission was appointed on Tuesday and has been meeting since then. Sitting on the commission are former government minister Lisel Alamill...

Prime Minister Hon. Dean Barrow Attends Inauguration Ceremony of President Jimmy Morales in Guatemala
The Prime Minister, Honorable Dean Barrow will return to Belize on Sunday after attending the inauguration ceremony of the President of the Republic of Guatemala, Jimmy Morales, in Guatemala City. The Prime Minister joined several other Heads of State and Government from within and outside the regio...

PUP Remembers Rt. Hon George Price on his birthday
Today, Friday, January 15th, 2016 marks the 97th birthday of the late Father of the Nation and leader of the People's United Party (PUP), the Rt. Hon. George Price. In memory of Mr. Price, today, PUP Party Leader, Hon. Francis Fonseca and other members of the party held a wreath laying ceremony thi...

Magistrates hold staff retreat in Belize City
All Magistrate's Courts across Belize were closed for today, Friday, by permit of the Chief Justice. The reason? All 17 Magistrates and their staff started a two-day retreat at the Biltmore Plaza hotel in Belize City. Chief Magistrate Ann-Marie Smith told us that the theme of the event is making the...

Sea Cucumber Fishing Season remains closed
If you see vendors selling sea cucumbers, Fisheries department is asking that you call authorities and report it. That's because the Fisheries Administrator has issued an advisory to fishers and the public that the Sea Cucumber fishing season will remain closed until further notice and that no pers...

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Deputy Police Commissioner Miguel Segura's fate "in hands of courts"
Deputy Police Commissioner Miguel Segura is in limbo, interdicted, stripped of his police powers and facing criminal charges and at least one civil lawsuit in relation to his collision on the George Price Highway in August of 2014 with the taxi vehicle of Yanie Ku, [�]

Titan Securities win judgment for excesses by police in 2014 raid
Bahamian businessmen Rohn Knowles and Kelvin Leach are among six persons indicted by the U.S. Treasury Department for securities fraud in the hundreds of millions of dollars. They were threatened with extradition to the United States and judgment on that is pending. However, the two [�]

Police: Bradley Paumen not a threat
American businessman Bradley Paumen, 58, was let out on bail, as is his right, following charges of conspiracy and abetment to commit murder - specifically against Iranian-American retired businessman Michael Modiri and three other persons, including a prominent attorney from Belize City. The conspiracy is linked [�]

"Belize Protectors" to be named for Baker to Vegas race
This past Saturday, members of Belize's uniformed services took to the George Price Highway, running from Mile 30 to 38 in a time trial to join the "Belize Protectors" team, which has been invited to participate in the annual Baker (California) to Las Vegas [�]

Food vendor charged with robbery
18 year old Jayear Flores, a food vendor of Curassow Street, Belize City has been charged and remanded for armed robbery and aggravated assault of a businessman and his client at Small Entrepreneur Business Institute in Belize City. The teenager appeared before Senior Magistrate [�]

Belize's tourism industry under serious pressure
Belize's tourism industry, which accounts for almost 25 percent of the country's GDP, is under significant threat as news of the latest foreign national to be murdered in the country blazes like a wildfire across the international community. The latest victim was a well-respected [�]

More people locked up in connection with Paumen investigation
Two people were remanded to the Hattieville prison this morning after being implicated in the investigation of Dark Night owner Bradley Paumen and an alleged plot to kill four people. Ian Skeen, an employee of Paumen's, and Linzburn Anderson, Paumen's former employee and mechanic, [�]

Guatemalan national found near murder scene arrested for illegal entry
Twenty-four-year-old Victor Manuel Franco Menjivar, a Guatemalan national from Melchor de Mencos, was formally arrested and charged this morning for illegal entry into Belize. He was fined $1005 to be paid up front in default of six months imprisonment. Menjivar was handed over [�]

Friends chop each other to pieces in San Pedro; one dead, one badly wounded
Two friends were socializing in a San Pedro apartment on Saturday afternoon when an argument ensued and things spiraled out of control quickly, resulting in both men inflicting chop and stab wounds to each other, leaving one hospitalized and the other awaiting a post [�]

Police find ammunition in Banak street area
Five rounds of ammunition was found00 when officers searched an alley connecting Banak and Vernon Streets. On top of a post at the entrance of the alley, inside a black plastic bag, three rounds of [�]

Dangriga man charged for .38 ammunition
A Dangriga man has been arrested and charged for the offense of 'kept ammunition without a gun license' after he was busted with .38 caliber ammunition last week Friday. 25-year-old Albert Williams was searched at around 5:15 p.m. by police, who found the ammunition [�]

Police investigate latest Orange Walk murder
An investigation into the murder of 51-year-old Guatemalan national, Francisco Arrevalo, whose body was found nude with chop wounds yesterday morning around 10:30, revealed that he was last seen at his home in Indian Church village, Orange Walk District, on Saturday evening around 7:30. [�]

Two men charged for Toledo murders
A small group of family and friends gathered in front of the Punta Gorda (PG) Magistrate's Court this morning as they awaited the fate of Albert Valentine Jr. and a 15 year old minor. Both residents of PG are being charged for the murders [�]

Blogs

What's New on Ambergris Caye These Days?
For a small island, there's always quite a bit going on around San Pedro and this weekend kicked off one of the famous influxes of visitors. The Jerry Jeff Walkers and Camp Belize. The famous songwriter and performer (here is one performance in 2015 and one I attended in 2014) is a sold out event. His first official show is tomorrow night at Fido's Bar. And you'll hear banjos and guitars all over town as some of his performer fans do pickin' parties at various bars. For two weeks, San Pedro goes country. And then goes even a bit more Texas when Kelly McGuire arrives in town for his annual birthday trip. The only announced show that I've seen is at the new Dive Bar (about 1/2 mile north - the former Jolly Rogers) at 2pm Sunday, January 31st. He's got lots of friends and fans on this island.

4 hard-to-reach destinations in Belize that are worth the trek!
To travel is to live; Some corners of the world defy human interference. The following remote locations aren't easy to reach, but they are well worth the extra effort. To get to some of the locations mentioned below, you have to take an all-terrain vehicle, a helicopter, a long hike, or a horse. These are sights that will stay with you the longest, and after the journey you'll have a greater appreciation for smooth rides. 1. Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary 2. Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve 3. Actun Loch Tunich Sink Hole 4. La Capitana Pontoon on the Vaca Lake.

Sister Bettie Cooks With Me/Succotash With Brown Rice Spaghetti (Daniel Fast)
My first guest of the new year Sister Bettie joins me to teach me how to make Succotash with Brown Rice Spaghetti. This dish is a part of the Daniel Fast.

Red Pepper Jelly
Bring the red pepper and sugar to a boil. Continue to cook for one minute. Add the vinegar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and cook for about another 3 to 4 minutes. Strain. Add Certo. Boil 2 - 3 more minutes. Pour into sterile jars and seal.

Education in Belize: A Legacy of Inaction
We are now living in the first month of 2016 and further into the 21st Century. I thank readers who follow my belizeguidance.blogspot.com and Guidance Counselor columns, especially for their comments on each article. Thank you readers from Belize and from developed and undeveloped countries around the world. Your comments, positive or negative, regarding education systems in Belize reflect a genuine concern over whether or not schools educate students effectively today. They are, after all, the present and future of Belize, not the past. I emphasize, as I did in previous articles, that a majority of us remain indifferent to the types education that our schools provide, or don't provide, students today. Keeping schools the way they always were, i.e. "like when I was there", is easy because it requires no additional effort from policy makers, parents, or educators. However, clinging to pre Independence (1981) colonial systems of education does not make time stand still in Belize, in a rapidly evolving world. Updating our education systems, strategies, and practices is no longer simply an ambitious suggestion; it is now vital to improving student outcomes that will ensure that our jewel of a country survive and thrive. A legacy of inaction and indifference to today and tomorrow is costing us dearly. What are our visions for 21st Century Education in Belize? We are not keeping up with requirements for a global education in this new age. Why? Government's increased funding of education, or promises, and the creation of a university do not automatically improve education systems or make them more productive.

International Sourcesizz

Belize voted as most wished place to visit on Airbnb
Airbnb, the world's leading hospitality site, recently released its latest Wish List, voted on by hundreds of travelers, and Belize was voted as the place people most wanted to visit. Forget skiing, when people want to get away nothing is better than sun, sun, and more sun. Airbnb discovered that the destinations with the highest percent of listings on Wish Lists are almost exclusively known for their warm weather and Belize is at the top. Known for its white sandy beaches, luxurious island resorts, world class scuba diving at the Great Blue Hole and snorkeling tours, Belize is the ideal tropical destination. Nothing compares. And if that isn't enough, Belize's beaches and marine attractions are just miles away from the lush Central American jungles and pristine cave systems; it's the best of both worlds.

University students spend part of winter break volunteering in Belize
Students from Oklahoma City University constructed part of a high school in Belize during winter break. The Rev. Charles Neff, vice president for church relations, led 11 students and three family members to Belmopan, Belize, on Jan. 2-9. "Our primary mission was to help construct the second floor of the Belmopan Methodist High School," Neff said. Members of the team mixed and hauled concrete by hand, sifted sand, bent and tied rebar to make support columns and assisted with other jobs as needed. The team also purchased 100 pounds each of rice, beans and flour and repackaged them in two-pound bags for distribution to the villages surrounding Belmopan. Team members visited Marla's House of Hope, a girl's home, where they helped the girls with homework, played volleyball and exchanged stories about life in their respective countries.

Belize delegation pleased with visit to Guyana
Belize has held talks with Guyana regarding the importation of rice from the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country. Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Agriculture, Gaspar Vega, who led a two-member delegation to Georgetown, said that Guyana "has always been a country with whom we've had very good bilateral agreements". The visit to Guyana last week came amidst problems relating to the importation of three containers of rice from Guyana by a Belize businessman. Earlier this month the Belize Supreme Court declined to grant leave to Jack Charles to file for judicial review of a decision by Belize Agricultural Health Authorities (BAHA) not to allow him to import the three containers rice. The Court had ruled that Charles had proceeded without obtaining an import permit in violation of the law. The Court said it was being asked to intervene on the side of a lawbreaker which it would not do and Charles was also been ordered by the Customs Department to send the rice back or risk it being destroyed.

ANNE ELIZABETH MCCOMB SWANEY: 1976 - 2016
Anne Elizabeth died in Cayo, Belize, from a random act of violence. Like all victims, she deserved better. She deserved the chance to take more trips, ride more horses,bike more places - live more life. But it was not to be. Anne Elizabeth graduated from Platte County High School in 1994. She participated in many activities including drama and journalism. She was editor of her high school yearbook. She graduated from the Medill School of Journalism, Northwestern University, in 1998. At Northwestern, she was a member of Pi Beta Phi. Anne Elizabeth recently celebrated 16 years of working at ABC-7 in Chicago as the executive producer of online operations. She loved her job and was good at it; she loved her city, too. A traveler and explorer, Anne Elizabeth's love of adventure began when she was 11 years old and won a trip to Boston. She spent the rest of her life seeking new experiences, starting in college on a world tour with Semester at Sea. Among her excursions, she rode horses in Costa Rica, Scotland, Turkey and Greece, took part in a cattle drive through Utah's Brice Canyon, rode her bike in Iowa's RAGBRI, traveled to Brazil, France, Italy, Germany, Hungary and Austria.

Supreme Court clarifies law on implied terms: 'business efficacy' test remains
The Supreme Court(1) has clarified the law on implied terms: in order for a term to be implied, it must be necessary for business efficacy or alternatively be so obvious as to go without saying. In practice, it will be a rare case where one of these conditions is satisfied, but not the other. The court confirmed, in light of the widespread misinterpretation of Lord Hoffman's judgment in Attorney General of Belize v Belize Telecom Ltd, that this judgment has not diluted the traditional tests. Although the case related to a property transaction, the decision has wider implications across all commercial contracts. The appeal arose following the exercise of a break clause in a lease between Marks and Spencer (the tenant) and BNP Paribas (the landlord). The lease had been granted for a term expiring in February 2018 and the rent was payable in advance on the usual quarter days. The tenant exercised its right under the break clause to determine the lease in January 2012, after it had already paid the full quarter's rent in advance in December 2011.

Stalagmite unlocks ancient secrets
The decline of ancient Maya society has perplexed archaeologists for decades. A stalagmite containing the climate record of the past 2,000 years now points toward changing weather patterns as a culprit. During the first millennium of the Common Era, the Yucatan peninsula was home to the flourishing Maya civilization. But circa 900 AD, it largely faded into the landscape, leaving in its wake spellbinding architecture and many unanswered questions. Although the details of what led to the collapse of cities such as Tikal and Copan still remain sketchy, scientific findings suggests climate change was a key player. A team of scientists came to that conclusion by combining data obtained from an ancient stalagmite, with information gleaned from Mayan artifacts. It all began in 2006, when Douglas Kennett, an archeologist at Penn State University in the United States, led a team of researchers into the jungles of Belize to explore a cave known as Yok Bolum. Determined to better understand the circumstances behind the demise of a major civilization, he enlisted the help of experts from several fields. "This is a complicated problem, and we needed to bring climatologists together with paleoecologists and archeologists to solve it," Kennett said.

Airbnb's 10 most desired destinations and accommodations
The two biggest things that travellers want, according to Airbnb, are a unique place to sleep and some sun. Destinations like Belize, Turks and Caicos and Australia dominate the list of the company's most coveted destinations. Treehouses, meanwhile, top the list of most in demand properties. A cottage in B.C. made the list as well. "Small is the new big," reads a release from Airbnb.

Saving the Maya rainforest
The Selva Maya is home to immense biodiversity - and the ancient Maya city of Tikal. Today, the forest is under threat but NGOs and locals are working together to save it, along with their livelihoods. Project aim: Conservation and sustainable use of the Selva Maya. Project partner: GIZ, Guatemalan authorities, and the International Climate Initiative (IKI). Project time frame - and size: 2010-2014 Biodiversity (BMZ: 11 million euros); 2014-2019 Climate (IKI: 5 million euros). The projects are linked, adding up to 16 million euros over nine years (BMU/BMZ). Project area: Selva Maya (Guatemala, Mexico, Belize): 40,000 square kilometers (comparable to the area of the Netherlands). Biodiversity: The Selva Maya is the largest tropical rainforest north of the Amazon. The forest has an extraordinary richness of biodiversity, with around 3,000 plant species and 750 animal species including jaguars, pumas, tapirs and toucans.

Videos

• The Sacred Maya Deer Dance, 2min. The Deer Dance and the patron saint of San Luis Rey Catholic church in San Antonio Village, Toledo Belize took place in August 23rd to 25th 2015. This is an annual event organized by the San Luis Rey catholic Church committee. Join us annually to see this sacred dance.

• Flyfishing for Bonefish, 15min. Honeymoon in Belize 2016

• Starfish Island Belize 2016, 7min. On an Island in Belize. Just chillin havin fun and trying to hold my breath long enough to record some pretty fish! :)

• Carnival Dream 2012 - Tour and Review - Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya, 31min. We took a 7 day exotic western caribbean cruise on the Carnival Dream. The ship left from Port Canaveral, Florida on March 17, 2012.

• BELIZE ZIP, 2min. BELIZE Zip line and Cave tubing January 4, 2016.

• Belize, snorkeling fun!, 6min.

• Doing Your Research & Immersing In The Culture., 15min. My good friend Sheila Hensley video called one day to ask some questions, and to get some unbiased information about Belize as a retirement option for herself and her husband next year. These are some of the things I shared during our conversation that became my first expat interview. See the complete interview here. One of things that we found when we moved to Belize is that a lot of the information that you find online is what I call sugar coated, I mean it's put out there by people who want to sell you property, or time in their resorts, or by the tourist industry that wants to show the great side of Belize and tell you what your piece of paradise should be like. We came here and found out that it's a beautiful place, and although there are a few things that make us shake our heads from time to time, the benefits of moving to Belize were wonderful for us, but there are a lot of questions that we as North Americans don't think to ask because we take things for granted because of where we come from.

• Dinsmore's to Belize, 7min.

• 2015 Belize dive, 18min. Night dive in Belize part 1 2015.

• Taste of Belize - Chef Keith Jones, 2min. Chef Keith Jones has your your back in cooking delicious and healthy meals!

• Link Copied to Clipboard
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Cayo Espanto
    Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
    More Links
    Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
    Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 283 guests, and 0 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Forum Statistics
    Forums44
    Topics79,199
    Posts500,011
    Members20,460
    Most Online7,413
    Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
    BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
    BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
    BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
    and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.