Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#510860 01/19/16 08:18 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Visiting San Pedro for the first time after many years going to Akumal in Mexico. We are there from February 20 to March 6 and just wondering what you would say is a "must see or do" for a first time visitor. I do have a day of flats fishing booked but am excited about going somewhere new. Any must eat at places as well. Thanks.

We like to snorkel a lot so wondering if there are many places to snorkel off the beach without doing an excursion. I like to go at my own pace and enjoy the water without being rushed.

Last edited by Bill Rushton; 01/19/16 08:21 PM.
R
R
For snorkeling it is Hol Chan's Shark Ray Alley but you will have to go out with a guide. It hasn't been rushed on the many times I've brought guests out there. For seeing wild life it is one of the best in the Caribbean.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Hello Bill,... I agree with Jim....Belize is truly a no rush Country...Each time we've taken a tour and as recently as last month we never feel rushed....In Cozumel, Tulum, Puerta Villarta and many other popular Mexican destinations it always seemed crowded and rush, rush rush...... You'll enjoy Hol Chan and our Belizean Tour Guides...Oh and for must eat at places, please accept my shameless advert for the Black Orchid Restaurant.... wink Wherever you decide to dine or visit we hope you have a wonderful experience.... smile

My friends call me Judyann

www.blackorchidrestaurant.com
S
S
I would snorkel at Mexico rocks less crowded and lots more to see. check out the chicken drop lots of fun. Black Orchid is a definite to eat at. Estelles a staple for breakfast. Cant go wrong grabbing food at central park love the chicken rice and beans. Palapa bar (new location)is also a must.

M
M
I strongly agree about Mexico Rocks vs Hol Chan/Shark Ray, Black Orchid and the other recommendations.
In addition, you MUST check out "The Truck Stop" for food, concerts, movie night, cornhole tournaments, open pit pig roasts and more!
We rent out kayaks, and have a 'floating island' safely anchored out of the boat lanes, so you can paddle out, hang out, and snorkel to your hearts content.
A day of sailing on the Rum Punch II, is what we consider to be our favourite day on the island. (He will also take you to Caye Caulker, plus Hol Chan and Shark Ray.) Truly an amazing day no matter where you go with Captain George!
A guided tour on the back side of the island up to Bacalar Chico (and watching the Mexican Coast Guard patrolling the waters is always exciting). Plus, you'll stop at our other tie for a trip on the Rum Punch II, which is a stop at Tranquility Bay.
(I think I'm going to have to take a few days off just to do all of these again myself!!)
Have a blast!

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the replies. Do you have to charter to Mexico Rocks or can you go on your own? Looking forward to some of the restaurants.

Also looking at maybe doing the intro to scuba, any recommendations?

Last edited by Bill Rushton; 01/22/16 07:38 PM.
Food recommendations ....in addition to those noted above.... ( apologies for those I have missed! There are so many good places to eat here)
Blue Water Grill - wide variety menu, super view, breakfast, lunch and dinner
Wild Mango - exotic and fabulous
Boogie's Belly - great lunches
The Office (biggest, best nachos and ceviche!)
Rotisserie chicken at Waruguma on back street. Whole chicken, stack of fresh corn tortillas, home-made pico de gallo ... Only $20 BZ. Take it to the Boca del Rio park for lunch and have a swim in the cut.
Snacks ... Meat pies at Celi's Deli
Victoria House has wonderful lunches. Wonderful. I would imagine dinner is equally good, but I never get that far south at night.
Caliente has great Mexican food.
Elvi's Kitchen is a San Pedro,tradition. IMHO, the best stewed chicken rice and beans in Belize.

North of bridge
Marbucks for coffees, pastries and excellent breakfast bagels
Ak Bol for good food on the beach, reasonably priced. Relaxed atmosphere. Recommend the curry fish, conch fritters and all of the burritos.
Rojo lounge - gourmet beach bar
Mambo at Mata Chica - fine dining in gorgeous atmosphere - lunch is fantastic (get the skewered snapper)' and at dinner the appetizers are excellent (try the ravioli).
Portofino .... Lovely atmosphere, great food. 6 miles north so a good bet for a daytime drive adventure or call them for dinner reservations and complimentary bots ride to and from town.
Lastly ..... el Secreto. Way north. Complimentary boat to and from. Stunning in every way.

B
OP Offline
B
I can see weight gain on the horizon. We are staying at Ambergris Lake Villas, is it in close proximity to a lot of the mentioned eateries?

You are close enough to all the in-town places to chow down righteously.

Bill it's amazing with all I eat and drink when I'm there, I have never gained weight on the many trips. Not so when I am home!!!!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.