Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
MonicaE #510961 01/22/16 01:15 PM
My advice would be to leave your pet there. Oh wait a minute; Alabama!!?! No, that would be cruelty to animals.

MonicaE #510963 01/22/16 03:51 PM
R
R
Please excuse Bing for his rudeness. We have known him for years he can't help it he has a mental disorder and right now he is very despondent about people he supported in the USA who have the same affliction. Hopefully in another 363 days we will rid ourselves of the worse of this crew. wink

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
MonicaE #511032 01/25/16 01:18 PM
Yes, I apologize for my rude comment about Alabama, it is better than Mississippi, although only slightly. I am serious when I say leave your pets in the states and adopt a Belizean pet. As for ragman's view on my being despondent over who I supported in the states, well that isn't true. My despondency starts coming up when I think of the possibility of Donald Trump.

MonicaE #511033 01/25/16 01:33 PM
I brought my pets with me. Go for it. I would never, ever recommend leaving a mammal-pet behind unless its an animal that absolutely take the heat. Pet snakes wont miss you, but a dog is forever.
Thanks for being a good pet-parent.

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
I brought my pets with me. Go for it. I would never, ever recommend leaving a mammal-pet behind unless its an animal that absolutely take the heat. Pet snakes wont miss you, but a dog is forever.
Thanks for being a good pet-parent.

I didn't say leave it in the street, find it a good home before you leave. We like to think that our dogs wouldn't make it without us, but I don't think that's true and I would base this argument on the same argument that pet snakes wont miss us. This is a people thing not a pet thing.
Signed a good pet parent because I think I'm one.

MonicaE #511042 01/25/16 03:40 PM
R
R
I'm with Diane on this. Besides that, pets love it here. Belize is very pet friendly and in most cases there is no reason to leave a dog behind. Most are very loyal and to say he won't miss you is wrong in most cases. If you don't have a pet or want another a good choice is to adopt a local dog.

Of course in Bing's case this may be different and maybe even a blessing to his dog. Dogs are very forgiving but they even have their limits. wink

"Make America Great Again"

Jim
ragman #511046 01/25/16 06:37 PM
C
C
Bringing your pets in is not a problem. Contact BAHA and follow instructions and it will not be difficult. i brought a cat and a Desert Tortoise with me when I moved to AC in 2006. The cat was no problem. The tortoise is endangered so I needed a CITES permit to export her from the US and one from Belize to import her. It took some time and work but they both came with me and love it here. Since then I have brought two kittens in and again it was easy.

Don't let anyone discourage you. I do believe our pets know who their humans are and they want to stay with them.

Last edited by Casa Pokey Jan; 01/26/16 01:10 PM.
ragman #511073 01/26/16 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by ragman
I'm with Diane on this. Besides that, pets love it here. Belize is very pet friendly and in most cases there is no reason to leave a dog behind. Most are very loyal and to say he won't miss you is wrong in most cases. If you don't have a pet or want another a good choice is to adopt a local dog.

Of course in Bing's case this may be different and maybe even a blessing to his dog. Dogs are very forgiving but they even have their limits. wink

"Make America Great Again"

Your last line is the major difference between us; I've always felt America was great and you seem to think it is not because the person you voted for didn't get elected. I find that sad.

Originally Posted by Casa Pokey Jan
Bringing your pets in is not a problem. Contact BAHA and follow instructions and it will not be a difficult. i brought a cat and a Desert Tortoise with me when I moved to AC in 2006. The cat was no problem. The tortoise is endangered so I needed a CITES permit to export her from the US and one from Belize to import her. It took some time and work but they both came with me and love it here. Since then I have brought two kittens in and again it was easy.

Don't let anyone discourage you. I do believe our pets know who their humans are and they want to stay with them.

I agree pets do know who their humans are, but they can love other humans as well. Again I see this as a human thing not an animal thing.

MonicaE #511785 02/20/16 05:16 PM
R
R
There has been a change in how Delta is handling pets so all who fly Delta should be aware.

As of March 1st Delta will no longer fly pets as baggage and only as cargo. (I believe they still do "carry on" pets, smaller dogs) The problem for us in Belize is that Delta does not have a cargo facility and has no plans for a cargo facility at BZE. This means that Delta will no longer fly pets out and I assume you will not be able to fly them in either. I've spent a lot of time in the last few days talking to them and they just won't do it. When I return to the USA (I now have to leave a week or so early to beat the March 1st deadline which they changed my ticket without fee) I will call them and explain how this can be done easily with the company at BZE who does the same for United. Destinations in USA in general handle cargo so they will be OK.

A friend of mine who is leaving in May on Delta was told that because he came down in November and didn't know of this they would make an exception. However it looks like they have backed away from that fast and I can see why. With connections and all; with the many personal that would be involved I don't see how they could pull that off. The email authorization to do this didn't come and in a month of so he will call again and probably end up cancelling his flight with Delta.

United is not affected as they already do cargo with pets and American as far as I know is OK but only on one flight a week on Saturday. This is because all other days they use certain Air Bus craft which do not have heat or AC in cargo and the pet would likely perish so these flights are not an option. American can handle either cargo or baggage but only on this certain flight as I explained. This info on American should be checked because I only explored this option to a small degree and we are only talking about BZE.

Keep in mind that this is a fluid situation and there could be changes in the future. If you are flying Delta in the near future with your pet you had better start talking to them. This not good news. frown

Jim
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (dabunk), 257 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.