Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#51209 05/23/02 04:07 PM
OP Offline
When Rick and i make our final move, we have decided that we will drive down thru Mexico into BZ. We will be traveling with 2 medium/big dogs...Chows. Has anyone ever done this? How hard was it? What kind of papers are needed in Mexico if we are questioned by "federales". Can they confiscate them for any reason? Hurt them if the dogs are aggressive towards them? Or do we just need $$$$ to pay them off?? Any advice appreciated. I don't want to fly them as AA will not let me ride in cargo with them!!! LOL...yes, they are that important to me!!! C

D
D
Hey Rick and Cheri,

I have two good friends that live in Corazol that did exactly what you are planning.You won't belive where the best places to stay in Mexico are! They drove from Topeka Kansas and had no problems at all. They brought two dogs with them similar in size to a Chow.E-mail me at [email protected] and I will get you in touch with them. Congrats on the move.

Ron

OP Offline
Thanks Ron....We'll email you!!! Jane-thanks for the links-i printed some maps of the routes....but need all the info/experiences with dogs to better prepair myself. You see-if someone messes with our dogs-i'm attacking their ass. That would probably put me in jail. Now, i've been in some not so pleasant places...lol...but in jail, in Mexico....well, i'm not in the mood for that!!! Anyone else done it before or know of someone??? Is it just me, or does the "board" look different??? Like it's bigger/longer??? I'm now having to scoot cursors to read the whole thing??? LOL..probably just me!!

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 05-23-2002).]

S
S
I probably don't have to tell you this, but just in case: There is no Second Amendment in Mexico. There are hundreds of Americans sitting in jail in Mexico right now because they had unloaded,legal, registered (in the US) firearms, or even because the cops found a single bullet in their car.
They have a "zero tolerance" law for guns, bullets, etc. in Mexico. Clean your car carefully before you drive off....
I don't know much about driving and dogs, but it's probably easier to drive long distances with dogs than with cats. On the other hand, one of our cats loves to ride, one tolerates it and the others hate it.
We will have to transport 5 cats to Panama, each one in a cat carrier under the seat, as I would never allow them to be shipped as "luggage". It will take us 2 trips!
You should really visit this web site: http://www.takeyourpet.com/ it has a lot of info and links about traveling with pets, including links to international regulations and procedures.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
Susangg, last time I took my cat on an airplane, the airlines (in my case United) only allowed one cat in a cage under the seat per cabin (at a price of I think $70). This was many years ago. I also had friends who checked their cats in as luggage (arranged far in advance) and were told the day they were traveling that they couldn't be checked as luggage because the cargo hold wasn't heated. Then the airlines broke their own rule and let both cats go under the seat in first class. I always got the feeling that the airlines really didn't like transporting pets and set out to make it difficult.

I can't imagine moving and not being able to take my cat.

Good luck to all of you!

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
OP Offline
Thanks, we just sent you an E... Rick

OP Offline
Hey Susaggn-"HOE DOWN-GIRL!!!! No Guns, no bullets, no bombs, no funny stuff-just 2 dogs????....I am laughing so hard....no disrespect-and THANK YOU!!! C

One of my friends drove down with her two fairly large dogs. If I remember correctly had quite a problem finding hotel lodging that would allow the dogs in the rooms. Several nights the dogs had to sleep in the car.

Unfortunately your dogs will be viewed as animals in Mexico. My concern might be that if your dogs show agressive traits in case of an inspection you might have a problem develop. To alleviate concern on the part of the Mexicans and yourself it might be wise to put muzzles on your animals if you can not control them. Your the visitor subject to their laws and regulations.

I will look for the trip report for you so that you can read her experience.
Hope this helps.

T
T
WOW, Rick and Cheri!

How exciting, and particularly to us, since we will be doing the same thing ourselves. As of June 4, we will be leaving Canada via Detroit, down through the midwest and Mexico, ending up (God willing!), in Placencia.

We have two English setters and two cranky old cats we'll be bringing with us in a van and travel trailer combo. We got all their vaccinations (with paperwork), and will be getting their health certificates just before we leave. We've read that this is all that is required at the Mexican border. If anybody out there knows any different, please let us know.

We contacted BAHA (Belize Agricultural Health Authority) to get our import permits for the pets. The best way to do this seems to be to phone them, and get them to fax you the forms, which you can fill out and fax back, because it's half the price of doing this at the border, when you get there. The number is 501-8-20197. The folks there were very helpful.

Let us know when you're going down, and if we can be of any help with info, or whatever, give us a shout. Our email is: [email protected]

Good Luck, Mary and Rick

Mary and Rick
(i am just a bystander here...and it doesn't really matter, but, why was my post deleted? i didn't read the thread i linked...did it say something?)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 306 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.