Re: driving via Mexico w/dogs #51220
05/24/02 09:12 AM
05/24/02 09:12 AM
paluxy
P
paluxy Offline

paluxy  Offline
P
SJ-I thought maybe ya'll e-mailed each other privately, but I did notice ur reply wasn't on the board. See U Soon!!!! [Linked Image]

Re: driving via Mexico w/dogs #51221
05/24/02 01:41 PM
05/24/02 01:41 PM
St Louis, Mo., USA/San Pedro
Laguna Punta Offline
Laguna Punta  Offline
Why transport dogs? Any trash can here in San Pedro has a cat, dog, and maybe a raccoon. Adopt a pet.

Gone fishing!!
Re: driving via Mexico w/dogs #51222
05/24/02 06:44 PM
05/24/02 06:44 PM
bedford tx usa
rickcheri Offline OP
rickcheri  Offline OP
Bill, are you suggesting leaving our children here, and adopt new ones???? Even the thought breaks my heart!! NO WAY!!!! I told Bron we could probably "foster" a dog or two. If we didn't already have these, then yes-would adopt.....but hell will freeze over before i leave my dogs or let anything happen to them!!! Mary/Rick-wow...what an exciting trip you are going to have!!! Angel Blessings to all of you and a travel safe!! SJ-what post was deleted???? C I remember-the one with the old threads on it???!!

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 05-24-2002).]

Re: driving via Mexico w/dogs #51223
05/24/02 07:06 PM
05/24/02 07:06 PM
Fremont, CA, USA
S
susangg Offline

susangg  Offline
S
Rick: Continental will accept animals both in the cabin (maximum of two in coach and one in first class and each passenger can have only one) BUT they must be small enough to fit into an under the seat carrier..no way your chows will make it!
There are companies that will "express ship" animals for you. They interface with the airline and make sure that the dogs get the right kennels, with food and water properly attached, that the kennels are loaded properly, etc. Izzy adopted a homeless puppy at the marina where his boat was being worked on and shipped her to his daughter, who wanted a dog. She weighed 30 pounds and was too big to travel in cabin. She was fine when she arrived. This was in April.
BUT: They will not ship between mid-May and September due to heat worries.
If you are concerned about the drive, one option is to wait til October and ship them on a direct flight that way. You are in Texas, aren't you? It really might be better for the dogs to go that way. Drive them to Houston and then its only a two and a half hour flight (though they will be confined during the pre flight wait as well..) I would not do this with my cats or even with a tiny lap type dog but with two large dogs (assuming they are healthy) it might be less traumatic for them (and for you) than that long long drive. You would need to make sure you are at the airport to greet the plane on arrival.

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
Re: driving via Mexico w/dogs #51224
05/25/02 08:52 AM
05/25/02 08:52 AM
san diego ca
D
disathing Offline

disathing  Offline
D
rickcheri

I travel all over mex. all the time and have worked for the major airlines as well,the dogs will travel ok if they do the car thing well, the time of the year is important as with any country has regions which may be dry and hot and areas that may be cold and or wet.Hopefully you have airline cages for the critters and would recommend use them before the checkpoints or when arriving at them offer to put the dogs in them or do!! what ever is requested.The War on Drugs effects all countries in the form of U.S. $'s and there are all kinds of checkpoints some military and some local and federales of course.

As for the airlines i would send my dirty lundry or a fuel pump for a downded airplane some where in the bagage compartments,B.C.s are known in the industry as being leaky noisey and not allways warm/ pass compartment is the only place for my critters was does have its size limits rumors/stories down on the ramp areas have told of people buying ajoining seats under family surname ie rover jones and has worked and is really up to the carrier. you heard about shipping them as with a exporter which is not a bad idea if push comes to shove/ cargo does stay warm and pressurized think fed ex and tom hanks pilots aint going to freezzzzzzzzze and some one can during the flight and look in on them just for the break from sitting for hours in the cockpit.

Re: driving via Mexico w/dogs #51225
05/25/02 01:30 PM
05/25/02 01:30 PM
San Antonio TX and Seine Bight...
ckocian Offline
ckocian  Offline
Go to www.mexconnect.com and check their sources for traveling in/to/through Mexico. They also have a bulletin board which you can search for recent discussion about traveling Mexico by car with pets and what you need paperwork-wise for them, yourself and your vehicle.

You'll have a very hard time finding comfortable lodging for yourself that will allow the dogs inside. Mexicans don't think that dogs are people. But with a little plotting and planning you can make the trip with them. For chows, I would think you'd want to wait until it's a little cooler, like maybe January/February.

Re: driving via Mexico w/dogs #51226
05/25/02 02:53 PM
05/25/02 02:53 PM
St Louis, Mo., USA/San Pedro
Laguna Punta Offline
Laguna Punta  Offline
Cheri: I'm very envious of yo pets. They got I GOOD!! Bill

Gone fishing!!
Re: driving via Mexico w/dogs #51227
05/26/02 10:48 AM
05/26/02 10:48 AM
bedford tx usa
rickcheri Offline OP
rickcheri  Offline OP
Yes, Bill, they have it VERY GOOD!!! Thanks for all the info...our vet knows our dogs well...she suggests to drive them vs. flying, unless i want to sedate them, and i don't. She says it will be best to keep them near us to lessen the stress. If they have to sleep in a vehicle, then i will sleep there with them. Is there anyone who has done this with dogs/pets?? For the couple driving to Placencia-try and keep us posted about your journey!!!

Re: driving via Mexico w/dogs #51228
05/26/02 11:15 AM
05/26/02 11:15 AM
San Antonio TX and Seine Bight...
ckocian Offline
ckocian  Offline
We've done it several times, but with a Min Pin. He just wants to go with us, he doesn't care where we're going.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 204 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics73,714
Posts486,625
Members19,816
Most Online4,377
Dec 15th, 2020

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.