President of the Republic of China (Taiwan) Mr. Ma Ying-jeou's address given at the Welcoming Luncheon held today at the Belize Biltmore Plaza.

====

President Ma's Statement Upon Arrival in Belize

It is a great honor and privilege for me to be invited by Hon. Dean Barrow, Prime Minister of Belize, to lead a delegation to visit Belize. This is my second visit to this beautiful country. On behalf of the government and people of the Republic of China (Taiwan), I would like to extend our warm greetings to the government and people of Belize.

Belize is one of the staunchest allies of the Republic of China (Taiwan). Over the years, our two countries have collaborated closely in perfect harmony in a wide array of fields, and stride forward hand in hand in international community. Belize has rendered strong support to the Republic of China (Taiwan) for its continuing campaigns for participation in international organizations. I therefore bring with me the heartfelt appreciation from the government and people of the Republic of China (Taiwan) to Belize.

During my visit, I will call on Governor General H.E. Sir Colville Young and Rt. Hon. Prime Minister Dean Barrow to exchange views on matters of mutual concern. I will also meet and renew friendship with Prime Ministers of our three diplomatic allies in the East Caribbean region, as well as leaders of Taiwanese Community in Belize. In doing so, my delegation and I can see for ourselves first-hand the outcomes and achievement of our Viable Diplomacy, further consolidate the partnership and friendship between our respective allies, and meet face-to-face with our diplomats and their families who have made tremendous contributions to our bilateral relations with the Caribbean allies.

The earthquake in South Taiwan on February 6th resulted in heavy causalities, but the condolences and warm regards from leaders and people of our allies in the Caribbean have provided us with much-needed warmth and blessings. The allies' timely support once again exemplifies the long and lasting friendship between Taiwan and our allies in the Caribbean region.

I am truly grateful for Governor General Sir Young and officials of Belize to welcome me and my delegation at the airport. Once again, I wish to convey our sincerest thanks.