Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
A huge deposit of jade has been discovered in Guatemala, believed to be the source of the semi-precious stone used by early American cultures for their most valued artefacts.
US researchers say the discovery includes a huge amount of blue jade, whose source experts had been puzzling over for more than 50 years.

It is believed the main vein - described as the roughly the size of Rhode Island or 2,500 square kilometres - was exposed when Hurricane Mitch hit Central America in 1998, provoking many landslides.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_2003000/2003775.stm

I was jaded the last time I visited Antigua, Guatemala. Bought a black, green and white jade ring. Never heard of blue jade, though. Anyway, the common knowledge in Antigua is that jade is REALLY abundant, and that the value is in the carving, since jade is so hard. Riding back to Belize from Copan, Honduras, I saw some blocks of jade sitting by the highway waiting to be hauled away. These blocks were the size of a 1978 Dodge Van.

Gone fishing!!
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
oh my gawd bill...
thats incredible

This is not a commercial: I have lavender jade that Veronique, a jewelry designer from Belize has made into matching neclace, earring & bracelet sets. The lavender ranges from a light grey, to light purple to light pink. Its quite unusual looking.
--Silk www.caribbean-colors.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.