Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
How are the bugs (no see-ems and mosquitos) in May-June? Also, if your staying on AC and want to go to mainland Belize to take in sites, what's the difficulty going back and forth. Any suggestions where to go on mailand for day visits? Thank for your help
Out...

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I was there last june and the mosquitos were pretty bad, however the no-see-ems were managable. I am highly allergic to both, and it was a real problem for me this past Jan with the no-see-ems. My Doctor just told me about some new stuff on the market (for repellant, but also a great itch med) and I have become a distributor for it. If you want more info, just let me know.

J
OP Offline
J
Mosquitos and no-see-ems, getting ichy thinking about it, we had a really bad experience in the Bahamas once. Anyway,how about to and from AC and mainland Belize say for day trips? Thanx How about more info on the repelent...

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
This is the info the Dr gave me (and he does many mission trips to Honduras)... It's called "No-Bite-Me". I understand that it's a favorite in the camping, hunting and fishing stores. There is actually a soap (can be used in streams and on pets--provides 4 hours protection). The Protection cream comes in a 2 oz jar (equiv. to a pint of others), to be used very sparingly. Only natural (edible) ingreds. Good against mosquitos, fleas, black flies and no-see-ems, among others.
I have ordered 3 cases of it, so email me if you are interested in more info.
[email protected]

S
S
Vicki: Since I am in the US, I ordered one package from the manufacturer's web site and I will give it to my husband to try out when he sails down there in a couple of months. If it works, we will buy a bunch more from you when I get there....
I posted your info on the bz-culture web site so you may get some queries from them.
Have you done any comparative tests? (like putting it on one leg and OFF onthe other and taking a twilight stroll along the mangrove?)

Susan Guberman-Garcia, Attorney at Law. Phone: 510-792-2639
Fax/Voicemail:: 510-405-2016 Email: [email protected]
T
T
We were in AC last June, and didn't find the bugs too bad. Not nearly as bad as mainland, or Honduras, where they were just horrendous. You literally had to stay in the water or stay inside to not get bitten!

I guess I must be lucky. I've been to Ambergris Caye many times, dozens, at all times of year, and with the exceptions noted below have never had problems with mozzies or sandflies.

The only problems I run into are:

* Outside of San Pedro Town and environs, where there are very few mosquitoes or sandflies, the main problem areas for mosquitoes are away from the water. You can go north or south and as long as you are on or near the water, where there usually is a breeze, you don't see mosquitoes. But get back away from the shore, on the back side or even on the cart paths, and mosquitoes at time can be very bad.

* Obviously, in August and September, when occasionally the prevailing breezes die down (maugers)the bugs have a field day.

* Sandflies on Ambergris are not even remotely in the same league as in mainland Belize areas such as Sittee Point or in Honduras (or in coastal South Carolina and Georgia). There are some, especially on North Ambergris, but really they are rarely a serious problem.

* Mozzies are worst after periods of rain when they breeds in standing water, though sandflies have a different cycle and are usually more of a problem in the winter.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
S
S
many of the tour operators offer day trips to the mainland that include transportation....if you want to do your own thing you'll have to rely on the water taxi or the airport for transport to the mainland...as far as what to do on the mainland it depends on what you like....mayan ruins....belize zoo....cave tubing...hiking....river rafting....horseback riding....i hate to see the guy make too much money(it's a joke allright!) but i was quite happy with lan sluder's belize publications which give good suggestions on where to go and what to do! if you read this board i'm sure you'll figure out how to get them...

VICKI....can you bring some with you in April???? The no-seeums ate me alive last trip....scars all over my legs!! Never had anything itch so bad in my life!!! I could really use some this trip!! C

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I will be bringing several jars with me, and shipping a couple of cases!! I will absolutely have some extras!!
It was really bad for me, over 100 bites, but because of the allergy, they were more like welts, and I itched so bad I couldn't even sleep. I was taking a bath in Benadryl, got a shot, and not much helped. Can hardly wait to get down there!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.