Captain Roberto Smith & Wendy Auxillou-Othman
by Marty on 06/03/16 04:49 AM

From Wendy....

On the water taxi ride back from Belize City today I found myself sitting next to this seafaring legend. For those who do not know, Captain Roberto Smith captained the famous cargo boat the Winnie Estelle which plied the waters around Belize for many decades. I'll post a link to some stories about the Winnie Estelle in the comments section. Captain Roberto has lived in Belize from when it was still British Honduras. The entire taxi ride we reminisced about old island life when the only way to get to Ambergris and Caye Caulker were on the Elsa P, the Mermaid, the Carib Gypsy, the Caribbean Queen and on to the first water taxi service to Caye Caulker run by Chocolate. Back then, Mom's triangle restaurant at the foot of the swing bridge was a famous ex-pat breakfast spot. Who remembers Mom's? Anyway, I'll save the stories for another time, but suffice to say we laughed and reminisced for 40 straight minutes and it felt very short. I have fond memories of the Winnie Estelle, which is now a storied attraction in the Chesapeake Bay Museum. Before Captain Roberto Smith, my own father, Captain Ray Auxillou was captain of the Winnie Estelle. I remember being 14 years old and captaining the Winnie Estelle to Puerto Cortez, Honduras along with my then 12-year old sister, Diane Auxillou-Paitsell All the grown-ups were fast asleep in the deck below as us two little teenagers manhandled that boat to Honduras guided by the stars and the moon. We made it safely too! Oh to relive those days...

Here's a bit on the history of the Winnie Estelle...
//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/294541/Winnie_Estelle_History.html