Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jimtex Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Folks concerned about Caye Caulker,

I just spoke with Irene Miller again who is in Austin, Texas right now. She and her husband, Mo, own the Lazy Iguana Bed & Breakfast on Caye Caulker. Mo is on Caye Caulker and Irene has just talked with him again via Ham radio at 10:30 CDT / 9:30 CST, October 3, 2000. She asked me to tell all those concerned the following information about Caye Caulker:

- Mo had just spent 2 hours this morning going around the island to find out about the general health of the people and to assess damages.
- There are some injuries but NONE are serious.
- While vessels are in the process of bringing supplies to the island, there is a need for these specific items: Baby supplies including food, diapers, etc., blood pressure medication, antibiotics, food.
- Approximately 40% of the homes have no roofs.
- It is expected that phone service will be restored by tonight (Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2000).
- Some water taxis are running and taking tourists off the caye to Belize City.
- There is plenty of boat fuel but it is being pumped by hand as there is no electricity.
- There is no boat engine oil so boats coming from Belize City should bring enough for the return trip.
- The airstrip is clear of debris but is too wet at this time for planes to land. There is no plane fuel on the caye.
- The wind is still strong but is abating.

Irene is still planning to go to Belize on Thursday, Oct. 5, and will take with her any E-mail messages that people want to send. However, you should wait until Wednesday evening to send any messages to her as they may not be necessary by then (let's hope the phone service is restored before then).

Her E-mail address is --> [email protected]

The latest weather report can be seen at.. www.hwn.org

Ham radio operators can contact Hurricane Watch Network at 14.325 MHz or contact the Salvation Army's Health & Welfare at 14.265. Mo can also be reached 14.265 MHz and his Call Sign is V31EM.

Irene or I will continue to report information from Mo as we get it.

Regards, Jim Schwobel
[email protected]

K
K
EXCELLENT!!!! now I hope to hear the same information in regards to San Pedro....

K
K
There is damage to the Coop and Bowen and Bowen at the back dock. Glenda's is standing, but the area around her( Miz Petty's area)sustained a lot of damage. This is all on the west side. Albert and Giselle's house is damaged. Neal Bradley's new house on the Northern island is badly damaged. Neal and Molly are OK. They are at Frenchies. Lot of debris in the streets.I hear that the mood is upbeat and cooperation is underway, like during Mitch. Dane

Cheers Dane
J
J
Thanks Jim for your update on Caye Caulker. God Bless you for your ongoing efforts to comfort those of us who are waiting to here from families & friends. We all have such a close place in our heart for our island paradise and friends there, it is so good to here positive info in the midst of such damages. Please give Mo & Irene a big hello and hugs of appreciation from all of us.

I'm sure the phones will be ringing and the emails flying once the communciaitons are restored. I'm waiting to here from my brother Jim Crawford, a retired gentleman from Calif. who has been living on Caye Caulker this past year. Unfortunately he has been residing on the back side of the island with friends there and has probably sustained alot of damages.

Thanks again, Judy Long from San Diego, CA

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.