Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#515986 - 07/14/16 12:41 PM First Visit  
ebwill Offline
ebwill  Offline
My wife and I will be traveling to Belize in September for vacation and retirement planning. Although we will be primarily visiting Abergris, we plan to make a visit to Corozal as well. We are open to and looking for any recommendations regarding our travel, ways to get the best look at the country to determine if it's the answer to our dreams, and possibly an expat group or tour guide to get into the "pineapple pipeline". Thanks in advance for any help or advice. Cheers,
Eric

#515988 - 07/14/16 01:33 PM Re: First Visit [Re: ebwill]  
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
Hi Eric - You will be coming during a time that can be challenging for a traveler ...... we tend to take September off.
Hotels closed, restaurants closed ..... but the party is ON. Two major holidays that month.
Weather is also uncertain - can range from lovely to very wet.
Please forgive the mosquitoes which will probably be very prominent at that time. Most of the year we have none at all.

#515990 - 07/14/16 09:21 PM Re: First Visit [Re: Diane Campbell]  
ebwill Offline
ebwill  Offline
Hey Diane,
Thanks for the info! Mosquitoes we can handle after living 10 years in the coastal low country of GA, SC. And weather shouldn't be an issue as we need a mental break more than anything. Now the restaurants being closed... my stomach has an issue with that. They don't close the bars do they!?! I can make a meal out of cherries and limes in the bottom of my glass I guess.
Cheers,
E

#520876 - 01/13/17 07:19 PM Re: First Visit [Re: Diane Campbell]  
DD44 Offline
DD44  Offline
What time of the year would be for a first visit? I am an Artist and thinking about staying for six months to get the feel of the land.
thanks, DD44

#520903 - 01/15/17 02:08 AM Re: First Visit [Re: DD44]  
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
Originally Posted by DD44
What time of the year would be for a first visit? I am an Artist and thinking about staying for six months to get the feel of the land.
thanks, DD44

Come in May ..... Beautiful weather, not too busy end of dry season. Stay through Sept. You'll have a chance for a reasonable rental and get to see our "seasons".

#521762 - 02/19/17 01:53 AM Re: First Visit [Re: ebwill]  
malinialine Offline
malinialine  Offline
In may ? I think the weather is pretty hot at this moment. smile But it's a beautifull place with many things to visit. I hope you will enjoy your travel. smile

#521767 - 02/19/17 04:05 AM Re: First Visit [Re: ebwill]  
Diane Campbell Offline
Diane Campbell  Offline
May is BEAUTIFUL. my favorite month, but come when you can!!

#521876 - 02/22/17 06:21 PM Re: First Visit [Re: ebwill]  
katzgar Offline
katzgar  Offline
may is slap in the face hot

#521897 - 02/23/17 09:04 AM Re: First Visit [Re: ebwill]  
MisterB266 Offline
MisterB266  Offline
Eric,

Corozal is a small town. It does not shut down in September -- hotels & restaurants will be open. In general, businesses on the mainland don't close down like on Ambergris.

Travelling between Corozal & Ambergris can be done by flight with one of the two domestic airlines or water taxi. Here's a website with some transportation info...
https://belizebus.wordpress.com/

Some expats choose to live in town or nearby, but many live at Consejo, about 8 miles north of Corozal Town. There's no public transportation to Consejo (maybe that has changed), so you have to use taxis (BZ$20 each way) or rent a car. Some people hitch. Make a deal with a taxi driver to drive you around for a day.

There is an expat meeting once a month at Corozal. They meet at one of the local restaurants for a lunch/social get-together. I think it's the second Tuesday of each month, but post on the other Belize forum, and someone will confirm that. Or do a search on the forum.
http://www.belizeforum.com/belize/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

As for getting around the rest of the country, flights are quick & easy. For point-to-point ground travel, transfer services are more comfortable than the buses. For you, a car rental might be best.

Other locations you should look at: Caye Caulker, San Ignacio, Placencia, Hopkins area.

#521898 - 02/23/17 09:13 AM Re: First Visit [Re: ebwill]  
MisterB266 Offline
MisterB266  Offline
DD44,

June to November is the hurricane/wet season. Weather is HOT. We don't get all-day downpours, nor do we get rain for days on end. When it does rain, it's usually overnight. The wet season is not all that bad here. As for hurricane, September & October are the months of greatest probability. In the 100 or so years of records, there have been only about 4 hurricanes before September.

I like the period from November to April because the days aren't sweltering hot, and the nights are cool enough to sleep without an a/c. At least that used to be the case. In the last couple of years, I've had to use a fan at night in January. But Dec to April is also peak tourist time, so accommodation rates might be higher.

I've always found May to be the hottest month of the year.

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
July
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Mini Chat
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (tazh2o, 1 invisible), 202 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics64,799
Posts464,073
Members18,847
Most Online1,262
Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.