Information for Travelers and Residents
U.S. Embassy Belmopan, Belize
August 1, 2016
Tropical Wave Advisory
Heavy rain and high winds are expected in Belize over the next 48-72 hours. All U.S. citizens are advised to monitor the National Hurricane Centre (NHC) website for developments in this weather pattern. Please plan accordingly and be vigilant.
Be sure to locate a shelter, monitor media reports, and follow all official instructions. Carry your travel documents at all times (e.g., U.S. passport, birth certificate, picture ID's, etc.) or secure them in a safe, waterproof location. You should also contact friends and family in the United States with updates on your whereabouts.
· For local updates, please visithttp://site.nemo.org.bz/or call the National Emergency Management Organization at 501-822-2054/hotline 936.
· For continued updates on this tropical wave, residents and travelers are advised to monitor the storm at www.nhc.noaa.gov.
For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens, please contact the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit in the U.S. Embassy at ACSBelize@state.gov or by calling 501-822-4011.
For further information:
• See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Belize Country Specific Information.
• Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
• Contact the U.S. Embassy in Belize, located at 4 Flora Park Road, Belmopan at +501-822-4011, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +501-610-5030.
• Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
• Follow us on Facebook.