Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#516350 07/31/16 09:51 PM
L
Latt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
My wife and I spent an awesome week on AC in July. We stayed just north of the bridge.

We noticed a large volume of roadside garbage ( plastic bottles, paper wrappings, discarded palms, etc.)

It is very unsightly and if it were addressed and removed it would make the north road much more pleasurable.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Latt; 07/31/16 09:51 PM.
Latt #516361 08/01/16 08:06 AM
N
N
Thks Latt! Every first Friday of the month a 15-25 group of North side residents and employees of Gran Caribe do a trash pick up morning all along the road and beach north of the bridge - often as far as White Sands Cove resort. This team picks up a lot of rubbish each time and we are hoping that gradually tourists and locals will learn to appreciate it when the route is clean and stop throwing their trash off their golf carts (yes tourists do it too!). Clearly, as you saw, we still have some way to go in achieving this objective! Nevertheless it is making a difference!

L
Latt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
This is fantastic. If I were there my wife and I would assist in this effort. We love AC and want to see it kept beautiful!

Latt #516445 08/02/16 04:11 PM
N
N
I'm involved in trash pickup on Caye Caulker and just as an FYI anyone can pick up trash any time! You do not have to wait for a coordinated effort! Just grab a bag and go....

Noelle #516452 08/03/16 04:45 AM
Originally Posted by Noelle
I'm involved in trash pickup on Caye Caulker and just as an FYI anyone can pick up trash any time! You do not have to wait for a coordinated effort! Just grab a bag and go....

AGREE with Noelle! sometimes it takes more time to "organize" than to just go out and do it. if each of us picked up one small bad from wherever every day, there would be little or no trash anywhere

Latt #516468 08/03/16 08:41 AM
S
S
Please join us the next time you are in San Pedro!

https://www.facebook.com/firstfridaytrescocos/

Noelle #516496 08/03/16 08:40 PM
L
Latt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Noelle

We did! When we saw a stray bottle or styrofoam container we picked it up and put it in our golf cart and disposed of it in nearest receptacle.

Latt #516500 08/03/16 11:42 PM
N
N
Excellent! Thank you!

Latt #516671 08/07/16 08:28 PM
It would be nice if everyone took a bag and picked up trash on their own but let's be honest, nobody does that -- OK, almost nobody.

The Tres Cocos First Friday group was born of just such a frustration. It doesn't take a whole lot to organize a neighborhood clean up with e-mails and Facebook. It does take a lot to keep such an endeavor going month after month (Hat tip to Sue Blair who sounds the call for the Tres Cocos group and manages the donated bags, trash sticks and gloves that are parceled out each first Friday.)

As Nick said, we are hoping to lead by example although locals and tourists alike are not exactly climbing aboard the clean-up train. People still throw their trash from moving golf carts -- bar cups, beer bottles, Styrofoam food containers, cigarette boxes, diapers, soda bottles, water bottles, etc.

Grand Caribe has now joined us on First Fridays and they already take enormous pride in the appearance of their own stretch of the road. The Phoenix Resort staff and volunteers clean up the town beach EVERY Saturday morning.

We wonder why other resorts on the island, especially north of the bridge don't get out there and clean up their own neighborhood. Sure their beaches look pristine but don't they know that the concrete/improved road is now their front door?

Hurricane Earl delayed our cleanup by one week this month. We'll be meeting at the Paradise Theater this coming Friday at 9 a.m. We clean the road and beach (maybe not so much this time, because Earl) We all end up at Marbucks/Daydreaming Belize at 11 a.m. where Marlene has iced coffee and cookies and Rose Alcantara provides chilled eucalyptus-scented towels -- hey, I didn't say this was all toil.

I have gone out on my own and picked up trash on the side of the concrete road and frankly it kind of sucks. It is a lot more fun when you are with friends and making new friends. Come try it this Friday!

PS: We also successfully lobbied the town council to put trash barrels along the road, north of the bridge. Now, if we can just get a certain restaurant owners to stop using them for his commercial trash, there might be room in the barrels for all the debris that gets tossed off the carts.....

Last edited by Robert Hawkins; 08/07/16 08:32 PM. Reason: fix spelling, added brilliant paragraph.
Latt #516680 08/08/16 06:56 AM
The organized group clean has excellent results and participants deserve a big thank you.

I live way north of the First Friday program ........ I pick up trash on beach regularly and find it very satisfying. I don't need company to have a sense of pride and I definitely benefit from the exercise. My yard crew picks up trash along the road near my house and my construction crew addresses the road behind our condos leading to the secret beach turnoff. We also regularly travel both north and south along beach and bag plastic.

I agree with Noelle - sometimes it takes more time to organize than it takes to pick stuff up. Just do it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.