Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Marty #516630 08/06/16 04:05 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
From a friend in San Ignacio....

heard that there is a big portion, over 30 ft of the low san ignacio bridge, got tangled up with 2 trees, and the public works guy (at restaurant) said he expects will be out for month.

someone asked about the BEL notifying public about opening the dam gates. i am not sure they have a formal notification system, but wouldn't be a bad idea. folks down town san ignacio are questioning the timing of the recent releases, and we heard (grapevine) they are opening letting more water out tonight. business owners worried about now a 3rd flooding (up down up down now expecting up again)

Marty #516633 08/06/16 04:40 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

We hear the stories from survivors of Hurricane Earl

The assessment of damages caused by Hurricane Earl continues

FLYOVER

Flyover 1

Ladyville

Marty #516634 08/06/16 05:01 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

The Landmark Bird's Isle Court Is No More

Hurricane Earl has come and gone and like many other places in Belize, it left it's mark on an Iconic Belize City destination, The Birds Isle. Many know the Birds Isle for their delicious food, great entertainment and of course their Basketball court. Today we spoke to Henry Young Jr. owner of the Birds Isle restaurant, where he told us how they prepared for Hurricane Earl and of the extent of the damages to his business.

Young told Love News that although the Birds isle restaurant suffered significant damages; you can expect them to be back and ready for business on Monday August 8. As for the Basketball court there at the Birds Isle, it is unclear of whether it will be rebuilt or not. Both the Birds Isle Restaurant and basketball court are insured by RF&G.

Marty #516644 08/06/16 07:52 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from San Ignacio....

mennonites had told me of many chicken coop roofs blown off; young chickens died from shock of all the rain, older birds survived. and all barton ramie corn - their main crop area by river across from georgeville, complete loss first estimate of 42 M which dwarfs the losses in last year from the bird flu of 3 M. this year will be corn importing year as stocks were very low already with drought losses the last few years. not sure when was last time we imported corn but many years ago. beans yes we have imported in recent years, not corn as far as i know. the corn and chicken businesses had grown together. we'll see what will happen to chicken prices here.

the mennonites (sp lkt) s aid they thought the winds there were between 80 and 90mph, not 70. they said some fields had been completely flattened, and that in others the damage was in swirled areas. but all along the river (barton ramie) completely down. they are wondering how they will clean up this downed heavy mess prior to replanting - that it will be a procedure in itself. the corn was at tasseling stage for most part. if the corn had been further developed, the corn cob seals itself almost water tight they said and can be sometimes salvaged, but these very immature ears were not yet sealed plus the broken stems will preclude nutrient uptake.. i was surprised by the information about having salvaged mature corn that was under water previous harvests, which they sent to labs abroad to verify safety before using for chicken feed.

Marty #516647 08/06/16 09:54 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
White Sands Dive Shop (Elbert Greer) is in good shape and taking out divers and snorkelers just off line for a few days.

The dive shop and dock at dive shop are good and the only problem right now is the phone and internet cables are ripped out. It might be days for internet to come back.

Marty #516648 08/06/16 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Marty
White Sands Dive Shop (Elbert Greer) is in good shape and taking out divers and snorkelers just off line for a few days.

The dive shop and dock at dive shop are good and the only problem right now is the phone and internet cables are ripped out. It might be days for internet to come back.

Good News!! Glad for your good fortune Elbert.

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Originally Posted by Marty

Good News!! Glad for your good fortune Elbert.

We've been very lucky. I'm using a cel number 628 4443 for the shop. I'm at Las Terrazas at the moment. I would pay a BTL guy 100 usd cash on the spot to hook my wire back up :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Marty #516650 08/06/16 03:39 PM
Hey Elbert I did cable work But I am retired & here in the states

Marty #516651 08/06/16 05:19 PM
Thanks Bob, but I just got a smart wireless thingamajig and I'm on. Wow this is cool. You buy a Smart wireless modem and pay for some time... or is it space, I've always been a little confused it's probably both but hea, I'm back :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Marty #516652 08/06/16 07:14 PM
The old saying If there is a way there is a will you got it

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.