Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#516896 08/17/16 03:18 AM
T
OP Offline
T
I've searched for up to date info about the departure fee when crossing at Chet/Corozal, no luck. 7 days by land, 3 days by boat, $25US per person? Anyone with a helpful link? I've never not been charged, regardless of mode of transport or length of stay, but like to be informed.

M
M
There is no "departure" fee, but there is a "DNI"/tourist fee that some visitors must pay before leaving Mexico -- I think this is the fee to which you are referring.

This is from the website of the Mexican Embassy in Belize...
Payment of the DNI Fee
A fee known as Derecho de No Migrante (DNI) or Non-Immigrant Right is associated with the FMM, and in some circumstances it must be paid before leaving Mexico.

All foreign nationals who enter Mexico must pay the DNI fee in three different cases:
1. Visitors who enter Mexico and stay more than seven consecutive days.
2. Visitors who enter Mexico and transit through to a third country regardless of the number of days in Mexico.
3. Visitors who enter Mexico with a Forma Migratoria de Visitante Local (FMVL) border card and stay more than three consecutive days.

Visitors who are exempt from paying the fee include:
1. Visitors who enter Mexico, stay for seven days or less, and return to the country of origin.
2. FMVL border card holders who stay less than 3 days.
3. FM3 and FM2 holders.
UNQUOTE

Here are two other points from the website:
3. For entries by land or sea of tourists, intransit travelers and businesspersons, when there are no banking institutions or when it is not during regular working hours or days, tha payment of fees is made directly to the immigration authority who should issue the form known as "Comprobante" (a receipt) which is proof of payment.
6. The payments does not have to be done exclusively at BANJ�RCITO but it is the only banking institution that has a branch at the points of entry borders.
UNQUOTE

The last time I heard about the amount paid at the land border, it was about 360 pesos (over 6 months ago). Whenever the fee has been included with an airline fee, the amount has always been the equivalent of US$22 to $26. I've never seen an amount quoted on any official Mexican website.

T
OP Offline
T
Thank you. FYI, this mornings border crossing was a rare one. Drove in and the immigration officer informed me I have 6 days (5 nights) in Mexico without paying the fee. On the 7th day it will be due at departure. Every time I've crossed in the past 6 years I've been charged, no matter if I returned to Belize or flew from MX to another country. Since the boat has become a tourist trap I've been charged the departure fee at time of entry every time I've been on the SP-Chet run. We'll see how the departure goes next week, but am happy that I wasn't charged the departure fee at arrival via land.

M
M
I should have added that the "officials" at the Mexican border seem to always ask for money from visitors -- it's not always legitimate -- try asking for a receipt! Visitors who know the rules and want to argue, or have proof that the fee has been paid (I carry a receipt from the airline) can avoid paying the fee if it does not need to be paid. If a visitor has not previously paid the fee, the the officials are correct in asking for money.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.